Props

I got the notion that, for a fun cache, one might send cachers to a spot mugglefree and, for instance, set up a fake campsite containing the cache with the clue hidden in "the coffee pot". The "hint" decrypted going something like "look in the coffee pot. Then the cache might be in a y shaped tree there. I know this example would be high maintainence but would something like with props this be accepted upon review?

If you are in a position to stay up to date on the maintainence and in no way would you let this cache become a junk yard in the middle of a beautiful woodland......then I say GO FOR IT!

I have been to a few caches where "Props" have been used. I didn't visit a cache that had THAT MUCH props that you are describing, but I think that it is possible.

I just want to emphisize the PET PEEVE that I have of caches that a lot of work went into the development, but nothing was done to the maintainence and it became a heep of trash. If you live close enough to the cache location and feel that you can do the job then have fun, and it will be some of the most memorable finds that anyone has ever been to.

I got the notion that, for a fun cache, one might send cachers to a spot mugglefree and, for instance, set up a fake campsite containing the cache with the clue hidden in "the coffee pot". The "hint" decrypted going something like "look in the coffee pot. Then the cache might be in a y shaped tree there. I know this example would be high maintainence but would something like with props this be accepted upon review?

It's a sad thing to say, but I'd think very few spots are "Muggle free". Never under estimate the power of a teeneager who wants to get drunk w/o being caught. I'd also be hesitant to enter a campsite in the middle of nowhere to look for a cache. that could just be me tho...

If you'd commit to the maintenance and keep it up and you don't mind a eprfectly good kettle being stolen, then I say go for it...

--MGb

Thanks, that is good advice. Now what if it were only above freezing friendly. Can I inactivate it without breakink the rules. I think most Caches are supposed to be open for grabs year round. Thanks.

I think if it were to become below freezing for a week then you can disable the cache listing for a week and won't get fussed at. It is when you disable it through a full season is when it becomes a problem.

This is from the guidelines

You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

So if you have a cache that can't handle below 32 degree weather, and the weather forecaster is predicting a low of 29 for the next 9 days...then you could probably disable the cache for 9 days and have it back up when the coldness is past.

My personal feelings....if you have items that can't do freezing temps, then find another idea because caches are supposed to be outdoor rated....which means ALL TYPES OF OUTDOORS!

Whatever your props might be, you need to consider both what a cacher might think- such as does this look like a dangerous or uninviting place e.g. homeless camp, sex rendezvous, trash dump and what a muggle might think- are the props lost property, trash, dangerous, etc.

The idea of prowling around someone else's campsite is very disturbing. A campsite is a domicile. As such the occupant has the right to defend it and I think it is reasonable to expect they will do so. Therefore since the seeker won't have any way of knowing that the campsite is fake, no reasonable seeker is going to fool with the "props".

Fake campsite = very bad idea IMO.

I once went into a large radio tower equipment building (that is part of my job) and found someone had "taken up residence" in it. It was really cool. Heshe had the building furnished with a full house full of furniture arranged into living room, kitchen and bedroom.

I was the one who had the right to be there and heshe was trespassing. I LEFT QUICKLY and reported it to the tower owner. One thing you DON'T want to do is confront someone in their home- even if they are there illegally.

It is a WIERD feeling accidentally coming into somebody's "home."

I kindof agree with Confucius' Cat, regarding domiciles and as a cacher how I'd probably avoid it. One way to get around something like this might be to make it a very obvious geocaching location. I'm not sure what you had in mind, but if you were going to set up a little pup tent or something, paint the geocaching logo on the side of it so it's noticeable from 50 or 100 feet away or so.

That way it would still identify the campsite as a geocache area to those of us in the know.

Even with that, I see the maintenance of this cache being an issue. It would have to be far enough out in the woods where muggles aren't going to come across it, or on your own private property. Being out in the woods that far, would mean (in my experience) that after the first 6 months or so, you'd be maintaining a cache that would only be visited every 2 or 3 months. Seems like a lot of work to me, since a cache like this would require much more maintenance than a normal ammo can cache.

I still like the idea though and I'm sure it would make a great cache.

I must strongly disagree with the vast majority of previous responders, and state that I never approve of using poops in any form on or around a cache site, nor do I aprove of placing poops inside a cache. Why? For many reasons involving hygiene, odor and commonsense civility.

What? You say the OP was writing about "props" and not "poops"?

Duh... Oh..... Sorry!

:laughing::laughing:

My opinion would be to say no-go on this. As an avid camper, there are certain "rules" that campers follow too, and one of them is to never leave your site set up for more than a week or so in one spot. There are a host of reasons, one of which is that an unattended site is considerred by most to be "trash". Secondly, if you are setting up a "site", there will be a good amount of expense involved. I know that in MY campsite, I typically have tent, sleeping bag, pack, stove, water filter, etc... and it quickly add up to well over $500, maybe closer to $1000. Granted, I understand that you wouldn't need ALL that stuff to pull off the illusion, but still... unless you think that EVERY cacher in your area is perfectly moral (of course they are!), there would be a HUGE temptation for things to dissappear.

When you set up a site, you are a "camper", and when campers leave sites unattended, they give campers a bad reputation. No site is EVER muggle free, perhaps muggle-unlikely, but never muggle free.

Of course, you could make some of the props out of wood or plastic or something and then paint 'em to look like what they're supposed to be. A few sheets of plywood in the shape of a tent with a coat of paint and some rope to make it look "authentic" would be a lot cheaper than a real tent, far less likely to be stolen, and probably significantly easier to maintain. Same with a "camp stove."

However, many of the other concerns still are valid. Setting up a "pernament" campsite could have negative impact on the surrounding. You'd definitely need to add some clues (such as the geo-cache logo) so that cachers would feel safe going in, and that might hurt your intention a little bit. I'd also worry about vandels... and even a plywood tent would need regular maintenance.

I think the idea is novel, but really more important is where you're planning this. On private property with permission I'd say go for it. In public land of any kind I would say don't even attempt it. There's a long term impact created with a campsite to consider along with what the occassional muggle or warden might see as trash directly deposited by geocachers. Leave no trace behind in public lands unless it's a well concealed cache. :D

Props sound like a cool addition to a cache hunt! I have only come across one that actually used one though. It was a pirate-themed multi and stashed away DEEP inside the woods, one stage of the multi was a large plastic Halloween skeleton wearing a pirate hat. The skeleton held the clue to the final stage. It was so cool I had to take a picture of it. It was so far off the beaten path in an out of the way corner of the park that the odds are against any muggle ever happening across it. But if they did - it might scare the heebie-jeebies outta them!!!

2d2755ab-9a12-40e3-9bcb-41dd671a8c2a.jpg

My brother in law put one out with a real stuffed baby alligator "guarding" the cache. The idea was that you look inside the stump and get stared back at.

Some other local caches have various guardians- a rat, a squirrel, small animal skeleton...

Props are cool, but common sense must be used. If it is something that looks like trash or something that looks like valuable peoperty it is likely to disappear.

Thanks to everyone. The campsite idea was just for an example. I don't like it. I was figureing on setting up a fishing pole in a very isolated location. The hint would be "crank it in". Thus the cache. I have abandoned the idea since I am in Connecticut and winters befall us. Thanks to everyone. Very good input.

Thanks to everyone. The campsite idea was just for an example. I don't like it. I was figureing on setting up a fishing pole in a very isolated location. The hint would be "crank it in". Thus the cache. I have abandoned the idea since I am in Connecticut and winters befall us. Thanks to everyone. Very good input.

That idea I liked. Even if it's winter. <_<

Very cool idea