Pocket PC/SatNav/Yellow Etrex Question

dgc808

Hi all, I have recentley spent a bit of my hard earned cash on a pocket pc mainly for paperless caching. But then heard it was possible to use SatNav software on my PPC for caching purposes eg (Tomtom Navigator 5) with (Memory Map POI's) so i bought a Navman 3400 Sleeve to use with my PPC, but unfortunately i can not get this to work with the Tomtom software on my PPC. So i was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to some how connect a (Garmin Yellow ETREX GPSr) via some sort of cable to a PPC and use the Etrex instead of forking out yet more cash :ph34r: on a wired GPSr ?

Cheers DGC808

What problems are you having with the Navman? Any GPS should work with TomTom, as long as it sends NMEA formatted data. To connect your eTrex to your PPC, see PC-Mobile or pFranc. Both sell all sorts of Garmin cables and connectors, but unfortunately there are lots of PPC manufacturers, who all have their own proprietary connectors. PC-Mobile has cables for most, though.

Sorry, I can't help as I don't have the know how or a pocket PC :laughing:. However, as a yellow user myself I love the idea :laughing: . I use a Palm (I've a Tungsten T3 for home and T5 for work) onto which I load Cachemate listings from GSAK. I would love to be able to connect the two so the cachemate info' interacted with the yellow.

Is this possible anyone? :unsure:

I've cross linked this to the GSAK forum http://gsak.net/board/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=3850 as someone there may be able to answer both our queries.

I use a Garmin iQue 3600 (a 'Palm' with built in GPSr) for road navigation and storing cache data via CacheMate. I don't usually use it for hunting tupperware, I have a GPS60CSx for that but I can confirm that the CacheMate plug-in 'CacheNav' does work well and I have used it from time to time quite successfully.

If your Palm doesn't have a built-in GPSr then you can connect a remote unit like the Yellow via a cable or if you have it, a suitable unit via a bluetooth link.

I use my T3 all the time with my Legend. It's easy to do. All you need is a cable, and some software. CacheNav is included with Cachemate and works pretty well, but Cetus is also available, and free. Cachemate will also export waypoints to Cetus. My main use for the GPS with the T3 is running Mapopolis, which gives voice turn-by-turn driving directions to anywhere. With a bluetooth GPS, you don't even need cables.

:D Hi guys, Thanks for the quick replies, i have just orderded a CAB10 cable and adaptor to connect my Yellow Etrex to my PPC from (gpsbitz.co.uk) a big thanks to Matrix for the links. Hoping to get it maybe early next week, got the Tomtom Navigator 5 software already installed on my PPC with all my local caches stored as POI's. So i can not wait to get put there and be totally Paper Free and all SatNavd up :D

Ps ! Has anyone actually got this setup working already as i would like to know what settings to use at the Garman Yellow Etrex end of things ?

Cheers DGC808

:D Hi guys, Thanks for the quick replies, i have just orderded a CAB10 cable and adaptor to connect my Yellow Etrex to my PPC from (gpsbitz.co.uk) a big thanks to Matrix for the links. Hoping to get it maybe early next week, got the Tomtom Navigator 5 software already installed on my PPC with all my local caches stored as POI's. So i can not wait to get put there and be totally Paper Free and all SatNavd up :D

Ps ! Has anyone actually got this setup working already as i would like to know what settings to use at the Garman Yellow Etrex end of things ?

Cheers DGC808

Your Welcome ....but I would keep trying with the navman jacket it should work :D

Hi Matrix, I have tried the Navman 3400 Jacket about 4 times and i have only had gps coverage once for about five mins. Then it it went off, i have since read that the Navman 3400 is not as good as i thought it was going to be (with TomTom software)! It works fine with the SmartST version 1.91 software i got with it but the maps are a bit out of date and you can not add your own POI's (for caches) like you can on Tomtom Navigator 5.

Cheers DGC808

Hi NightPilot, Thanks for that M8 ! I will let you know how i get on in due course.

Cheers DGC808

On the eTrex, set it to NMEA, not Garmin, protocol. That is all you should need to do. You only need Garmin protocol to transfer waypoints. If you put the waypoints on the eTrex, you'll have to change the interface back and forth every time you do it - Garmin for transfers, NMEA for TomTom.

Hi Matrix, I have tried the Navman 3400 Jacket about 4 times and i have only had gps coverage once for about five mins. Then it it went off, i have since read that the Navman 3400 is not as good as i thought it was going to be (with TomTom software)! It works fine with the SmartST version 1.91 software i got with it but the maps are a bit out of date and you can not add your own POI's (for caches) like you can on Tomtom Navigator 5.

Cheers DGC808

Hi DG

Have a read of this http://www.totalpda.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4449

or read this quote from the thread

And see if that works

Hi,

I have TomTom installed and running on a customers setup which is identical to yours. Not sure why your having trouble. I would do the following steps if I was you.

1) remove all instances of TomTom & Navman driver from the Ipaq via Add/Remove programs in Control Panel -> Settings -> Remove Programs

2) install the V3.1.6 Navman serial driver from http://www.navman.com/land/serial_driver.html

3) perform a soft reset of the ipaq out of the sleeve.

4) insert the IPAQ into the sleeve and you should see it initialize

5) install TOMTOM including the bluetooth driver

6) Run through the TomTom welcome setup and when you get to the GPS config set it to Other Cable NMEA GPS and click Select.

7) set the Baud rate to 4800 and click Done.

8) in the list of the 'GPS is connected to' select the NavMan Driver.

In the top right corner you should now see the little logo begin to rotate. this shows the GPS and the IPAQ are talking.

You can now go outside and it will eventually (upto half an hour on these) begin to locate satelites.

any probs feel free to email me.

Paul

Hi NightPilot, Thanks again for the reply and the link ! But i have already looked at and tried the information in the link you supplied (The Navman driver link does not work anymore), got the driver from else where and i only got the Tomtom to find satellites for 5 mins like i said earlier and none since. Hence trying the Yellow etrex option.

Cheers DGC808

Cheers DGC808

Hi DG

Have a read of this http://www.totalpda.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4449

or read this quote from the thread

And see if that works

Hi,

I have TomTom installed and running on a customers setup which is identical to yours. Not sure why your having trouble. I would do the following steps if I was you.

1) remove all instances of TomTom & Navman driver from the Ipaq via Add/Remove programs in Control Panel -> Settings -> Remove Programs

2) install the V3.1.6 Navman serial driver from http://www.navman.com/land/serial_driver.html

3) perform a soft reset of the ipaq out of the sleeve.

4) insert the IPAQ into the sleeve and you should see it initialize

5) install TOMTOM including the bluetooth driver

6) Run through the TomTom welcome setup and when you get to the GPS config set it to Other Cable NMEA GPS and click Select.

7) set the Baud rate to 4800 and click Done.

8) in the list of the 'GPS is connected to' select the NavMan Driver.

In the top right corner you should now see the little logo begin to rotate. this shows the GPS and the IPAQ are talking.

You can now go outside and it will eventually (upto half an hour on these) begin to locate satelites.

any probs feel free to email me.

Paul

:D Yes ! I have finally done it ! Got Tomtom Navigator 5 to run on my Compaq Ipaq H3760 Pocket PC using a Dual cable to connect my Garmin Etrex (Yellow) to my PPC. I connected the Etrex to the PPC and placed the Etrex on the windowsill in my living room and within 1 minute i had Tomtom Navigator 5 running INDOORS ! :yikes:

This is the cable i have bought, you may have to ask for an alternative adaptor for your particular Pocket Pc if you wish to purchase one, see the links below.

http://gpsbitz.co.uk/gpsbitz_store/view_pr...p?product=CAB10

ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ADAPTORS WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE ABOVE JUST ASK FOR THE CORRECT ONE FOR YOUR POCKET PC (PLEASE STATE THE IPAQ_ADAPT NUMBER WHEN ORDERING)

http://gpsbitz.co.uk/gpsbitz_store/view_pr...ct=IPAQ12_ADAPT

http://gpsbitz.co.uk/gpsbitz_store/view_pr...ct=IPAQ12_ADAPT

I just wish i had asked this question a couple of months ago before i bought a (Navman 3400 Sleeve) as the above setup is far superior to the Navman.

I must give a BIG THANKYOU TO MATRIX FOR PROVIDING THE LINKS TO (GPSBITZ) IN THE 1ST PLACE :D

If anyone needs any help or advice with setting up the above setup just get in touch.

PS! Now i can just click on a Geocache on Tomtom (POI's) and it will take me there ! :wacko:

I LOVE GEOCACHING ME :wacko:

Cheers DGC808