GPSMAP 60 CSx Map Question

Howdy folks,

This is my first post to this amazing site and was hoping others could help with a question dealing with detailed maps for use on a GPSMAP 60 CSx. I have been looking all over the site for one week reading different postings and becoming familiar with many subjects but still lack some information. For starters, I would like to purchase software of detailed forested maps (U.S West) that can be downloaded into the GPSMAP 60 CSx. I have looked at all the Garmin maps my friend has for loading onto his CSx (an impressive and expensive collection), but none of the forested area's I want to explore are very detailed like the Garmin 24K tops for National Parks. Have I overlooked good maps?

Second, with free time on my hands I was playing with Google Earth and turned area's into topo maps. Those maps can be saved as kml I believe. Is there a way to convert kml files into mps files that a GPSMAP 60 CSx will except? Thanks for your time and responses.

BNW

Howdy folks,

This is my first post to this amazing site and was hoping others could help with a question dealing with detailed maps for use on a GPSMAP 60 CSx. I have been looking all over the site for one week reading different postings and becoming familiar with many subjects but still lack some information. For starters, I would like to purchase software of detailed forested maps (U.S West) that can be downloaded into the GPSMAP 60 CSx. I have looked at all the Garmin maps my friend has for loading onto his CSx (an impressive and expensive collection), but none of the forested area's I want to explore are very detailed like the Garmin 24K tops for National Parks. Have I overlooked good maps?

Second, with free time on my hands I was playing with Google Earth and turned area's into topo maps. Those maps can be saved as kml I believe. Is there a way to convert kml files into mps files that a GPSMAP 60 CSx will except? Thanks for your time and responses.

BNW

Well... I can't answer any of your questions... but I can ask one. How do you turn areas from Google Earth into topo maps? I'm not familiar with that feature but would like to give it a shot.

Try www.usgsquads.com.

They have a download for Google Earth that helps you identify what areas are used in what quads, and will also automatically overlay the topo map on the area you are looking at.

It's a lot of fun actually.

One other thing you can do is if you have a bitmap image of a map, you can use the Add->Image Overlay function to paste that image on top of google earth.

For example, on the local count GIS site, they had a more detailed satellite photo of my area than GE offers, so I put that in as an image overlay...

It's a fun way to waste a lot of time!

Garmin maps are the only topo maps that are comercialy available that can be loaded on our Garmin GPS units. Their National Parks Topos are the only ones that are at the 24K level of detail. The rest of the country are at 100K with a lot less detail.

If you want to learn the process you can make custom Topo maps of your specific area of interest at whatever detail level you want. Check out this custom Topo Map thread if you are up for the challenge. :-)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...;hl=Custom+Topo

Edited by bgarland

BRTango,

Here is the link about mapping Google Earth topo's. http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/20...topo_map_i.html

In the article, click on the blue link entitled "USGS topographical overlays". It will open up Google Earth to a place where it will make a portion of the area into a topo. After that point, go to anyplace else you want to see a topo of your choice. I noticed the topo map making abilities likes elevations of 14,000 feet or better.

Howdy folks,

BNW

Well... I can't answer any of your questions... but I can ask one. How do you turn areas from Google Earth into topo maps? I'm not familiar with that feature but would like to give it a shot.