Urban Caching

instafar

I like this comment. It remotely lends itself to this discussion...

--------------------------------------------

November 29, 2006 by Master Instigator

I am in the process of removing all of my cache containers. It is apparent that original interesting caches are frowned upon so I am clearing space for more %@!& micros. I am looking to have two of them adopted Last of the Manitoba Ents, I am the walrus and because I was not the original owner of them. Even though the caches are disabled you may still find and log them until I physically remove the container.

This is from cache GCP6JN. Sounds like you have to avoid wolves, rivers with ice, and deep snow along the way.

I know we don't have all of these creative challenges in Houston, but there has got to be better places than lamp post skirts in parking lots. I am not against urban micro caches that you have to be careful when finding so you are not seen, I am just confused why a Wal-Mart parking lot would be an exciting place to put a cache...

Thanks for all the input. I learned a lot of different view points.

I am in the process of removing all of my cache containers. It is apparent that original interesting caches are frowned upon so I am clearing space for more %@!& micros. I am looking to have two of them adopted Last of the Manitoba Ents, I am the walrus and because I was not the original owner of them. Even though the caches are disabled you may still find and log them until I physically remove the container.

I love a good geocide, the more impassioned the funnier! :blink:

This is from cache GCP6JN. Sounds like you have to avoid wolves, rivers with ice, and deep snow along the way.

All things I would choose to avoid, even if I could do them!

I know we don't have all of these creative challenges in Houston, but there has got to be better places than lamp post skirts in parking lots. I am not against urban micro caches that you have to be careful when finding so you are not seen, I am just confused why a Wal-Mart parking lot would be an exciting place to put a cache...

Different strokes, brother! I happen to like them!

Are you sure? Why did you feel driven to post this if you are tolerant of different viewpoints?

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
Are you sure? Why did you feel driven to post this if you are tolerant of different viewpoints?
Why aren't you tolerant of people that voice their opinions? It's called free speech. You didn't have to participate in this thread. Tolerance is a two-way street. :blink:

I don't recall ever saying I was tolerant.

In fact I believe the world would be a better place if folks would just do things my way! :laughing:

Let me clarify... My comment was about all the different styles of Urban Micro Caching. There are a lot of creative ways caches can be placed. A lot of them were pointed out in the topic. That is the input I have enjoyed.

Also, I am not saying I can not tolerate others that like a lamp post skirt. I am just saying I don't get it. It is a parking lot... between a freeway, a Wal-Mart, a McDonalds, and a busy side street. What is the interest? What is the excitement of the find? I just don't connect with it and I wanted to see if others agree... Okay. (That is my opinion and I don't feel I have been intolerable)

Edited by instafar
Also, I am not saying I can not tolerate others that like a lamp post skirt. I am just saying I don't get it. It is a parking lot... between a freeway, a Wal-Mart, a McDonalds, and a busy side street. What is the interest? What is the excitement of the find? I just don't connect with it and I wanted to see if others agree... Okay. (That is my opinion and I don't feel I have been intolerable)
I have your same opinion. My suggestion is to simply avoid urban caches unless one is recommended. That strategy is working for me! :blink:

I have your same opinion. My suggestion is to simply avoid urban caches unless one is recommended. That strategy is working for me! :blink:

I have really appreciated your comments throughout all of this thread TrailGators. You seem to understand what I am really trying to get at. Thanks

I don't want to avoid all the urban micros though because a lot of them are thought out so well and very interesting and challenging. There is actually one just 1/4 mile from this one that was outstanding. The only way to know is to go to the site and see. That is when the original questions that I started the post with hits me... "Why here?" I look around and I am boggled...

Thanks for the support. Later Gator. :laughing:

... What is the interest? What is the excitement of the find? I just don't connect with it and I wanted to see if others agree... Okay. (That is my opinion and I don't feel I have been intolerable)
Some people agree with you. Others don't.

I do think that you post hints at the crevass between the two groups. Personally, I don't need to be excited about the location of every cache I find. Come to think of it, that cache in the middle of Wal-Mart's parking lot probably is more exciting to me than most because I have to make the find without being noticed. The standard ammo can placed next to a tree 100 feet from the parking spot is much less exciting.

(It's probably just me, but it feels like this thread was dead for much longer than a few weeks before being dredged back up.)

Edited by sbell111
... What is the interest? What is the excitement of the find? I just don't connect with it and I wanted to see if others agree... Okay. (That is my opinion and I don't feel I have been intolerable)
Come to think of it, that cache in the middle of Wal-Mart's parking lot probably is more exciting to me than most because I have to make the find without being noticed. The standard ammo can placed next to a tree 100 feet from the parking spot is much less exciting.

(It's probably just me, but it feels like this thread was dead for much longer than a few weeks before being dredged back up.)

Dredging...........

Neither of those sound exciting to me.

:blink: I find nothing fun with most of the urban caches. The only urban caches that I enjoy finding are the ones in low muggle areas that are kindof remote. My favorite though are the rural caches. :laughing: This is one reason why I do not do much caching at certain times is because I am in the city where as when I am at home, I am out in the country.

I haven't hit that many caches but most of the urban caches that I've found looked like most of the contents needed to be dumped into the nearest garbage can.

The only good urban cache that I've been to was at a Historical Marker. It was a Micro-Cache so it wasn't a crap can full of the usual urban cache garbage. It was an interesting bit of history about a building that I had forgotten was there, and yes, it was in a parking lot.

I just moved from the SF Bay Area to Brazil. In a city of 18 million people, there's only about 6 caches (within a 10 mile radius) Also with an urban setting, I'm thinking a lot about good places.
The first ones to place caches in an area can pick all the best places! Lucky you! :blink:

I have to take into account the police on every corner and not to get them to think me/cachers are doing anything suspicious. Tomorrow I'm doing some research on locations. I brought like 20 containers in my bag LOL

I just moved from the SF Bay Area to Brazil. In a city of 18 million people, there's only about 6 caches (within a 10 mile radius) Also with an urban setting, I'm thinking a lot about good places.
The first ones to place caches in an area can pick all the best places! Lucky you! :blink:

I have to take into account the police on every corner and not to get them to think me/cachers are doing anything suspicious. Tomorrow I'm doing some research on locations. I brought like 20 containers in my bag LOL

here5md.png

I think that urban caches has its ups and downs. Downs being that most are in parking lots of stores and malls and such. But the ups are to me that it can be a landmark and be something you have never seen and find interesting. Like back home where I use to live. There is a cache that is a road sign for a person that was famous and still is very famous to people everywhere. Well the cache listing also gives the spot where he use to live in the town. Then a up is for me is that when my wife wants to go shopping and I want to go geocaching. We both win she gets to go into the store and spend time looking for whatever. I get to go geocaching. Then she texts me when she is done and I go and pick her back up. Only prob now is that I have got all the geocaches in that area. Waiting for some new ones there. Or I could even place some of my own there I guess.

Interesting cache! Looks like it was only found once. Cache owner has zero finds, and archived all but two caches. He may have geocided! Geocide is not the answer for urban micro spew. Arguing about it in the forums is. :)

You say it is/was dead, but you keep adding to it when it comes up. No one is forcing you to read or reply.

I will agree with you though that there seems to be two very different reasons why people geocache. Some people cross over into both realms. I will accept that and leave it as it is.

Edited by instafar
You say it is/was dead, but you keep adding to it when it comes up. No one is forcing you to read or reply.
Hmmm. I would think that there is a difference in replying to a post when the thread is in the top three or four on the first page and replying when it has fallen off the top few pages of threads. For instance, I'm replying to your post because the thread is at the top of the page. If it had fallen down the page, I wouldn't have replied, even though your post referenced mine.

The funny part is that people get a bunch of grief when they start a new thread on an old subject. Now this guy is giving you grief for finding an older thread and reviving a topic that you have the right to discuss. The bottomline is that some people out there don't want to others to voice their opinions if they disagree with it. Whether they agree or not, this is a valid topic. I know a lot of people that have either quit or not been interested in geocaching because it is being overrun with microspew. I may someday be one of the people, but for now I'm going to voice my opinion too and hope that it somehow changes or the site finds a good way for me to ignore all the microspew out there without having to ignore the creative urbans as well. :)
Hmmm. I would think that there is a difference in replying to a post when the thread is in the top three or four on the first page and replying when it has fallen off the top few pages of threads. For instance, I'm replying to your post because the thread is at the top of the page. If it had fallen down the page, I wouldn't have replied, even though your post referenced mine.

So, if I follow your logic and apply it to Geocaching, then I should always just find the caches that come up on the top of the list when I put in my home coordinates even if they are not the most interesting ones on the list... :) Smart...

You say to me - ignore the caches that are in urban parking lots if I don't like them. Fair enough, then I say to you - ignore the threads that you don't like and quit posting to them. Let the rest of us who have interest in this carry on our conversations.

The funny part is that people get a bunch of grief when they start a new thread on an old subject. Now this guy is giving you grief for finding an older thread and reviving a topic that you have the right to discuss. ...
Wow. Do you always work that hard on being the victim? I thought my comment was rather benign. I'm terribly sorry if I hurt you feelings. Of course you views are welcome. Just remember that the opposing views should be welcome, also. Edited by sbell111
The funny part is that people get a bunch of grief when they start a new thread on an old subject. Now this guy is giving you grief for finding an older thread and reviving a topic that you have the right to discuss. ...
Wow. Do you always work that hard on being the victim? I thought my comment was rather benign. I'm terribly sorry if I hurt you feelings. Of course you views are welcome. Just remember that the opposing views should be welcome, also.
I have no problem with opposing views. But please leave out offtopic dredging comments. Those needling comments are what get people annoyed.

Wow. Do you always work that hard on being the victim? I thought my comment was rather benign. I'm terribly sorry if I hurt you feelings. Of course you views are welcome. Just remember that the opposing views should be welcome, also.

Victim? ? ..?!? :) TrailGater a "Victim" based on that comment. I think not.

Over 9,500 posts... Half of which are combative or meaningless. And anyone who thinks that I just made a combative and not factual comment, go read through the threads and see for yourself.

Victim? ? ..?!? :) TrailGater a "Victim" based on that comment. I think not.

Over 9,500 posts... Half of which are combative or meaningless. And anyone who thinks that I just made a combative and not factual comment, go read through the threads and see for yourself.

Plus the "victim" comment is yet another needle. People like that keep sticking needles in others and then they wonder why they get the reaction they get. :blink:
Please tell me that you didn't actually go back and read every post I've made. I hope you didn't include the OT ones, also. They're not included in the 9500.

edited to add that my posts to the old forums aren't in the 9500, either. I hope you didn't trouble yourself by reading those, also.

Edited by sbell111
... More and more though I am running into caches that are just placed in terrible spots. As I find the cache I look around and wonder why in the world would someone place a cache here??? It is not fun, exciting, interesting, beautiful, or educational. Here is an example of one I just found 1 hour ago. The cache was a micro cache (rolled up log book in a film canister) that was hidden in the base of a light pole in the middle of a Walmart parking lot. First of all, while driving to it you already know exactly were it has to be... can't hide it in the pavement. Second, the only way to get to it without looking suspicious is to pretend to be talking on your cell phone next to your parked car. Third, lifting the base collar on a light pole could be both dangerous and concidered tampering with private property.

This is just one example of an urban microcache that just does not fit the whole purpose behind the Geocaching game. There are so many out there as silly as this one. Don't get me wrong, I have found so many others that are very interesting and unuasual, but how do we get cache placers to put a little effort into where and why they are hiding a cache?

I would love to hear what others have to say about this issue. Or maybe you don't see it as a big deal... comments...

In an effort to get back to topic:

Just because you don't like a particular cache (cache size, hide style, location, whatever) doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve to exist. Perhaps it would be useful to remember that the first cache was a leaky bucket partially buried just off the road and filled with junk.

Edited by sbell111

Let's get this thread back on topic.

Agreed.

I am just asking for a little thought into the placement or the contents.

Example: Micro cache found in the parking lot of a nice big mall. The posting said kid friendly so I brought my kids. Inside the cache was a log and some tokens/coins used for rides on a huge merry-go-round in the food court of the mall. So, if you happen to bring your kids you could treat them to a ride compliments of the cache placer. We rode the merry-go-round and added even more tokens to the cache.

Just a little thought added to where and why it was placed and there you have it, an urban parking lot cache that has a little imagination to make it interesting.

Just because you don't like a particular cache (cache size, hide style, location, whatever) doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve to exist. Perhaps it would be useful to remember that the first cache was a leaky bucket partially buried just off the road and filled with junk.

Point taken. You are right, they all deserve to exist if that is where someone wants to place them. I will just try my best to weed them out.

...I am just asking for a little thought into the placement or the contents.

Example: Micro cache found in the parking lot of a nice big mall. The posting said kid friendly so I brought my kids. Inside the cache was a log and some tokens/coins used for rides on a huge merry-go-round in the food court of the mall. So, if you happen to bring your kids you could treat them to a ride compliments of the cache placer. We rode the merry-go-round and added even more tokens to the cache.

Just a little thought added to where and why it was placed and there you have it, an urban parking lot cache that has a little imagination to make it interesting.

What would you think of the same cache without the tokens?

What would you think of the same cache without the tokens?

I thought I was clear on that in my other posts. I would think "Why here?". As I said, this placer answered that question for me the moment I opened the cache.

Sometimes the question is answered before you find the cache because of where you are.

Edited by instafar
Just because you don't like a particular cache (cache size, hide style, location, whatever) doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve to exist.
Nobody said that particular caches shouldn't exist. I think they consider moving those kind of caches to a new website called "Microcache.com" There would be no 528 foot rule on this site; so film cannister caches could be as close together as people wanted! Imagine being able to go to Wal-Mart and lifting up every lamp post cover in the parking lot so you could bag 50-60 caches! Woo Hoo! :):blink:
Just because you don't like a particular cache (cache size, hide style, location, whatever) doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve to exist.
Nobody said that particular caches shouldn't exist. I think they consider moving those kind of caches to a new website called "Microcache.com" There would be no 528 foot rule on this site; so film cannister caches could be as close together as people wanted! Imagine being able to go to Wal-Mart and lifting up every lamp post cover in the parking lot so you could bag 50-60 caches! Woo Hoo! :):blink:
My mistake. What you are saying is that only caches that you like should be allowed to exist on GC.com. Is that correct?
My mistake. What you are saying is that only caches that you like should be allowed to exist on GC.com. Is that correct?
I liked virtuals and now you need to go to another website called Waymarking.com to create new virtuals. This is because they were not actually caches that you could put swag into. Plus it was difficult to judge the "wow" factor. Micros have the exact same issues! You can't put swag into them either and there are tons of them that would not meet the "wow" test. So what's wrong with moving those caches to microcache.com or smiley.com? The logic is the same....

Hey, I used to live in Texas too :) I lived in North richland hills and in lubbock.

Anyways, I know caches don't always bring you to a nice spot, or even offer a good find/hunt but the fact is, it's not about bringing you to a nice spot, or making you think real hard to find it.It's about the fact that it has been sitting there in a packed wal-mart parking lot, for years while thousands of people walk right by it all the time, but you know where it is, you sign the log book (allong with the others who have found it) and move allong.

The best thing about these types of caches is, usualy you've known the area for years before you find there is a cache there. You can't help but to think.. "Wow all this time, I walk by here every day".

Also I think it's safe to say, if you are searching for caches in town, you are prolly not going to get the best view. or anything much better than a small park. Looking at the map before you go to the cache would have told you it was not in a green space.. If you don't like caches like that, why would you go to one?

Also as for the flashing being dangerous, well some caches are WAY WAY worse than that, up sides of mountains, needs special security clearance in iraq. ect...

And the entire perpous of Geocaching, is to hind and seek caches, they don't HAVE TO be in a green space, they can be in a back alley downtown. they can be in a tree in a park, or on a remote mountain range.. The fact that they are everywhere should show us that people will hide/seek them anywhere, and the general conception is, the more the better.. If I can hit 3 or 4 micro's in the city I have to pass through to get to the lake, then why not? More for me to find.. If you don't like the city scape. then don't do city caches..

Personaly I like Urban caching.

It requires Many things greenspace caching doesn't. And is in many ways (to me) more fun.

But I like all types of caches :blink:

Living in Houston, TX you can imagine that most of the caches around me are urban micro caches. Some of them are hidden in wonderful places that show me interested or beautiful parts of the city that I might not have ever found on my own.

More and more though I am running into caches that are just placed in terrible spots. As I find the cache I look around and wonder why in the world would someone place a cache here??? It is not fun, exciting, interesting, beautiful, or educational. Here is an example of one I just found 1 hour ago. The cache was a micro cache (rolled up log book in a film canister) that was hidden in the base of a light pole in the middle of a Walmart parking lot. First of all, while driving to it you already know exactly were it has to be... can't hide it in the pavement. Second, the only way to get to it without looking suspicious is to pretend to be talking on your cell phone next to your parked car. Third, lifting the base collar on a light pole could be both dangerous and concidered tampering with private property.

This is just one example of an urban microcache that just does not fit the whole purpose behind the Geocaching game. There are so many out there as silly as this one. Don't get me wrong, I have found so many others that are very interesting and unuasual, but how do we get cache placers to put a little effort into where and why they are hiding a cache?

I would love to hear what others have to say about this issue. Or maybe you don't see it as a big deal... comments...

I liked virtuals and now you need to go to another website called Waymarking.com to create new virtuals. This is because they were not actually caches that you could put swag into. Plus it was difficult to judge the "wow" factor. Micros have the exact same issues! You can't put swag into them either and there are tons of them that would not meet the "wow" test. So what's wrong with moving those caches to microcache.com or smiley.com? The logic is the same....
'Swag' was never given as a reason to get rid of virts.
Ummm, handicapped does not necessarily mean 'wheelchair'.

Any cache intended to be "accessible for the handicapped" can be found by people confined to a wheelchair, this seems very simple and straightforward. Many conditions fall under the umbrella of the word disabled but there is no definition, that I am aware of, that excludes those "confined to wheelchairs".

Do me a favour sbell111 and describe a cache that is "accessible for the handicapped" but those "confined to wheelchairs" cannot reach it?

I do not think you can do this.

Edited by wavector

I put Micro coins in micro's all the time, I've seen many micro's with scratch and wins. And have even seen coins with goal: Wants to visit as many micro caches as possible.

Even pins are Ideal for micro's. Swag doesn't have to be large.

I put Micro coins in micro's all the time, I've seen many micro's with scratch and wins. And have even seen coins with goal: Wants to visit as many micro caches as possible. Even pins are Ideal for micro's. Swag doesn't have to be large.
I guess I should have said that most micros won't hold 90% of the swag that is popular to trade. There are sub-micros that will barely hold the tiny logsheet. In fact you have to use your initials to sign these logs. Anyhow, it's nice that some people are making some decent mini-swag. So what about the second point I made about the "wow" test? Most micros wouldn't meet this test that was applied to virtuals.......
I put Micro coins in micro's all the time, I've seen many micro's with scratch and wins. And have even seen coins with goal: Wants to visit as many micro caches as possible. Even pins are Ideal for micro's. Swag doesn't have to be large.
I guess I should have said that most micros won't hold 90% of the swag that is popular to trade. There are sub-micros that will barely hold the tiny logsheet. In fact you have to use your initials to sign these logs. Anyhow, it's nice that some people are making some decent mini-swag. So what about the second point I made about the "wow" test? Most micros wouldn't meet this test that was applied to virtuals.......

Again, TPTB never stated that virts were being moved to WM.com because they couldn't hold swag. Further, if a 'wow' rule were to be implemented for micros, it would have to be implemented for other cache sizes, as well. I suspect that a great deal of regular-sized caches wouldn't pass muster. :)

Ammo can covered by sticks? Who hasn't seen that tired old chestnut. Archive them all! :blink:

BTW, who would be the arbiter of that rule? :blink:

yeah and I could say that %90 of the swag ppl trade is crap. so what? is the 1$ store trinket what you are going for? if so, you could save lots of time and money and just go to the 1$ store and buy something. cause you know you have to leave one too. Everyone knows "Please do not move or vandalize the container. The real treasure is just finding the container and sharing your thoughts with everyone else who finds it. IF YOU WISH, go ahead and take something. But please also leave something of your own for others to find, and write it in the log book."

Swag is optional, so many people have 1000's of caches, most of them TNLNSL.

I can understand if there is no logbook to sign, no container to find.. But this is not the case. a micro cache is no less of a cache than a midget is less of a man.

Again, TPTB never stated that virts were being moved to WM.com because they couldn't hold swag. Further, if a 'wow' rule were to be implemented for micros, it would have to be implemented for other cache sizes, as well. I suspect that a great deal of regular-sized caches wouldn't pass muster. :blink:

Ammo can covered by sticks? Who hasn't seen that tired old chestnut. Archive them all! :blink:

BTW, who would be the arbiter of that rule? :blink:

No doubt, I doubt many caches would pass a "wow test".. How many lock n locks you seen under a log or some bark? That and unless you are FTF or a few guys after the cache is going to be a normal cache with in days. after all the good stuff is gone, it's just another contaner under some rocks. Like I posted up there, if you are looking for swag, go online or something.

The "WOW test" for me would be totaly aced if I went to work every day for 20 years and then one day, for the last 3 years there's been a micro cache in my parking lot?!? Wow. I passed it every day not knowing..

That's why people hung out there? Ohhh.. Wow.. To me That's much better than a box filled with stuff in a park somewhere. Although I like that too :huh: But the wow value is higher when it is an area you've been to many times not knowing it was there the entire time. apply to parks too, but more so for city scape as I am a city dweller :) Most caches around here are at most 10 mins walk from the car.

Further, if a 'wow' rule were to be implemented for micros, it would have to be implemented for other cache sizes, as well. I suspect that a great deal of regular-sized caches wouldn't pass muster. :) Ammo can covered by sticks? Who hasn't seen that tired old chestnut. Archive them all! :blink:
My suggestion was hypothetical. The point was to get you guys to that certain kinds of caches would get hit very hard IF a "wow" test were applied to them. Sure there would be some ammo box casualties but every parking lot would also be emptied.....
Further, if a 'wow' rule were to be implemented for micros, it would have to be implemented for other cache sizes, as well. I suspect that a great deal of regular-sized caches wouldn't pass muster. :) Ammo can covered by sticks? Who hasn't seen that tired old chestnut. Archive them all! :blink:
My suggestion was hypothetical. The point was to get you guys to that certain kinds of caches would get hit very hard IF a "wow" test were applied to them. Sure there would be some ammo box casualties but every parking lot would also be emptied.....

I think any cache that wasn't a FTF would be deep 6ed

Where I live, there is nowhere you could show me where I would say "wow". I live in Beautiful British columbia. born and raised. We have one of the most, if not the most beautiful land on earth. (look it up if you think I'm just bragging) I've been to other countrys, Even my own home doesn't make me say "wow" cause it doesn't get much better than where I am, and I grew up here. To me, your "wow" is my "meh".