Urban Caching

instafar

At the end of the day, the only standard that anyone should go by when hiding a cache is whether they would like to find it. If you stick to that standard, your cache will be successful.
So with that logic, if someone likes finding caches near smelly trash dumpsters, then their smelly trash dumpster cache will be a success..... :laughing:
Your example is extreme, but yes.
It is not extreme because I have been taken to areas where caches are hidden in this manner. Believe it or not they exist! Your buddy even likes them. Anyhow, the good news is that I won't do urbans anymore unless they are recommended so you guys can do the dumpster caches by yourselves. I've also noted for future that you think that a cache near a smelly trash dumpster is a success. :drama: Edited by TrailGators

Cacher A hides a cache. Cacher B finds the cache and likes it. Cacher B hides a similar cache.

And the proliferation of uninspired/lame caches continue. :laughing: The owners of said caches feel no remorse for cheapening the game, because they have "defenders of crap" on their sides, like you.
Whatever. Look, it's clear that you feel all warm and fuzzy when you preach that we must all play your way or the game will implode or something, but the bottom line is it is only the people that have the same attitude as you that are not enjoying themselves. The game is fine for everyone else.

Perhaps you should learn how to get what you need out of the game, rather than spending your time trying to change everyone else.

You know, you had better hope that this is a new account created for a new geocaching group made up of people who've been caching for years.

Cause if it's not, then some newb is making you look like a fool.. lol

Ya right!

Even a half retarded blind deaf mute could understand what I'm saying, and know that it's true.

And because I type fast, ignore typeo's and can't spell every word correct, doesn't meen you are better than me, and most of all doesn't make me wrong.

So you defend your spelling and grammar by comparing it to the abilities of disabled people? Real classy.

I suggest you take time and think about how big the caching community actualy is. Not everyone can go off in the woods, some cachers can't even walk. Seams to me a parking lot would be ideal for them.

So handicapped people are not worthy of caches better than parking lot micros?

Some people live in a place where every park already has a cache (and there are not many parks in the town) and the rest is all city. Have you ever been to the lowermainland of british columbia. It's like living in dallas and saying "lets find a green space" not many parks, lots of cachers.

Who said anything about finding a green space. The debate was about finding nice spots to place caches, like historical spots, and hidden musuems that most cachers were unaware of.

Micro caches in parkinglots are here to stay.

That might be the case, but they should have an attribute that makes them easier to filter out.

Edited by Kit Fox
... Anyhow, the good news is that I won't do urbans anymore unless they are recommended ...
Hurrah! You've solved your problem.

Lol I don't see what the problem is here?

You don't like them, ok. So what?

You are better than someone cause you hid yours in a tree trunk and he hid his in a parking lot?

You are making the sport worse by placing a cahe in a parking lot?

That's rubbish and everyone knows it.

Who said anything about finding a green space. The debate was about finding nice spots to place caches, like historical spots, and hidden musuems that most cachers were unaware of.
If you are aware of a historical spot or hidden museum that you think could use a cache, by all means, go hide one.
Lol I don't see what the problem is here? ...
The problem is that some people think that all caches must amaze them. Some of these people think that they shouldn't have to work to weed out the caches that 'wow' them. Some of those people also want any caches that aren't their personal faves to be verboten.

I blame it on society. So many people are raised to believe that the world will be handed to them on a platter. They shouldn't have to work for anything. The rest of us are here to serve them.

Edited by sbell111

Ya right to what part?

And yeah. I was actualy comparing you to retards, since you were the one having trouble reading what I'm typing.

And No, I said ideal for them, don't put words in my mouth.

And fianly, if that's what the thread is about then why are people bashing parking lot caches?

Like I said before as long as you attack it, I will defend it. you know you'll loose cause I"m right, and that's all that matters.

You know, you had better hope that this is a new account created for a new geocaching group made up of people who've been caching for years.

Cause if it's not, then some newb is making you look like a fool.. lol

Ya right!

Even a half retarded blind deaf mute could understand what I'm saying, and know that it's true.

And because I type fast, ignore typeo's and can't spell every word correct, doesn't meen you are better than me, and most of all doesn't make me wrong.

So you defend your spelling and grammar by comparing it to the abilities of disabled people? Real classy.

I suggest you take time and think about how big the caching community actualy is. Not everyone can go off in the woods, some cachers can't even walk. Seams to me a parking lot would be ideal for them.

So handicapped people are not worthy of caches better than parking lot micros?

Some people live in a place where every park already has a cache (and there are not many parks in the town) and the rest is all city. Have you ever been to the lowermainland of british columbia. It's like living in dallas and saying "lets find a green space" not many parks, lots of cachers.

Micro caches in parkinglots are here to stay.

That might be the case, but they should have an attribute that makes them easier to filter out.

What I really wish is that I could filter out all the hides of people that think caches near smelly trash dumpsters are a success! :drama::laughing:
No one actually said that, but you are welcome to ignore my hides, if you wish. No one is stopping you from not finding anyone's hides, come to think of it.

Cacher A hides a cache. Cacher B finds the cache and likes it. Cacher B hides a similar cache.

And the proliferation of uninspired/lame caches continue. :laughing: The owners of said caches feel no remorse for cheapening the game, because they have "defenders of crap" on their sides, like you.
Whatever. Look, it's clear that you feel all warm and fuzzy when you preach that we must all play your way or the game will implode or something, but the bottom line is it is only the people that have the same attitude as you that are not enjoying themselves. The game is fine for everyone else.

Perhaps you should learn how to get what you need out of the game, rather than spending your time trying to change everyone else.

I get great satisfaction out the way I geocache. I filter out caches based on terrain ratings. Anything with a low terrain rating "disappears" in my world.

I even tried to be "openminded" yesterday, and find a cache in a parking lot. I got the "luck of the draw" and was hunting a cache next to a building that had a silent alarm going off. I got to meet Palm Desert's finest unexpectedly. My reasonable response to his questions calmed him rather quickly.

The rest of the caches were on hiking trails, and I had a blast.

Sbell,

I've never once advocated the banning of any type of cache. The only thing I would like, is a "required attribute" for urban caches so filtering would be easier than terrain ratings, and reading every cache description.

What I really wish is that I could filter out all the hides of people that think caches near smelly trash dumpsters are a success! :drama::laughing:
No one actually said that, but you are welcome to ignore my hides, if you wish. No one is stopping you from not finding anyone's hides, come to think of it.

You sure as heck did! Read the top post on this page! :drama:

Someone help me! I can't stop laughing about that other comment! :drama:

If you are aware of a historical spot or hidden museum that you think could use a cache, by all means, go hide one.

I did just that: GCZD44

and

GCX4Y7

I just finnished pointing out, all that applys in a parking lot.

you have choices of container, you have many choices of placment, yes you can even cammo it to look like part of the sign, or part of the fence. Yes it does take the same effort, tell me how it doesn't? just cause it's a parking lot and not a park? you will put just as much effort in to either and you can't prove it to anyone any way. The size totaly does matter, Maybe it is a micro or even regular sized coin exchange hub cache. It needs to be a bit bigger (old pill bottles) or you started it out with coins in it.. Maybe it's a standard micro with just a logbook and a pencil, in this case all you need is a film container, maybe it's got to fit in a crack in the curb, or a notch in a fence/tree. then you can use a pill shaped (micro) micro. You obviously don't know or care to learn that greyspace caching is just as hard/easy as greenspace caching.

Your point/argument is invalid. Please re think your reason and try this argument again or call your mama to help you. This is a recording.

Well here's a hint, if you don't want to do a cache near a smelly trash dumpster, don't do it.

I'm not a genious or anything but I'm sure you should be able to figure or if you want to do it or not.

The fact is a parking lot is not a smelly cache dumpster. And if it were I could name a few other caches that are near a dumpster, or worse landfills.

And yes chances are, if enuf people start to like smelly trash dumpster caches, they will pop up.

I suggest deal with the trash or don't go to it. I personaly love smelly trash dumpster caches.

Since when did you become the geocaching expert, with 20 finds, and a month's worth of caching?

Perhaps you can quit smoking the "green stuff" and start paying attention in English class, so we can decipher what you're actually trying to say. Your spelling is atrocious. :laughing:

You know, a person can spell a word or two wrong. It's ok and it is not a reason to laugh at a person. You have no idea if I smoke it or if I'm just "ok" with it, or even if I sell it to your mother. You have no idea who I am. It's real bad when you have to make fun of other people. Must make you feel like a real boy hu?

I get great satisfaction out the way I geocache. I filter out caches based on terrain ratings. Anything with a low terrain rating "disappears" in my world.
Hurrah! You've solved your problem, also.
I've never once advocated the banning of any type of cache.
No you have not. Instafar and TrailGators did.
The only thing I would like, is a "required attribute"...
Perhaps you should suggest that in the GC.com Web Site area of the forum. That's where site enhancement requests belong. Of course, it's been asked for and denied in the past.

Good luck.

You completely parsed my post.
Hurrah! You've solved your problem, also.
I've never once advocated the banning of any type of cache.
No you have not. Instafar and TrailGators did.
The only thing I would like, is a "required attribute"...
Perhaps you should suggest that in the GC.com Web Site area of the forum. That's where site enhancement requests belong. Of course, it's been asked for and denied in the past.

Good luck.

LoL

I did just that: GCZD44 and GCX4Y7
Then what's the problem?
Try telling the truth. I never said anything about banning a cache type.
Really?
I think they consider moving those kind of caches to a new website called "Microcache.com"
I guess you're right. You didn't say anything about banning a cache type, just a cache size. Of course, my comment didn't mention cache types. Here it is: 'Some of those people also want any caches that aren't their personal faves to be verboten.' Edited by sbell111
What I really wish is that I could filter out all the hides of people that think caches near smelly trash dumpsters are a success! ;):laughing:

You completely parsed my post.

What? I dropped this statement out ("Cacher A hides a cache. Cacher B finds the cache and likes it. Cacher B hides a similar cache.") and your scolding of Kit Fox for doing something you were just scolded for earlier..... You agreed that a dumpster cache is a success. Just read where you answered "yes" to my statement.... :drama:
What? I dropped this statement out ("Cacher A hides a cache. Cacher B finds the cache and likes it. Cacher B hides a similar cache.") and your scolding of Kit Fox for doing something you were just scolded for earlier..... You agreed that a dumpster cache is a success. Just read where you answered "yes" to my statement.... :laughing:

Fine. I agreed that if a cacher finds a cache hidden near a dumpster and enjoys it, he may emulate that hide. In the scenario, there are alredy two cachers that would tend to enjoy that hide. Likely if there are two, there are more. Therefore, that cache would be considered a success.

Happy?

(edited to hurry and fix a typo before someone ridicules me for it.)

Edited by sbell111
Try telling the truth. I never said anything about banning a cache type.
Really?
I think they consider moving those kind of caches to a new website called "Microcache.com"

That isn't "banning." It was suggesting doing the the same thing that they did to virtuals. They just split them off and allowed them on Waymarking.com where they fit better. So they still are allowed to exist. Banning implies not being allowed anymore.
What? I dropped this statement out ("Cacher A hides a cache. Cacher B finds the cache and likes it. Cacher B hides a similar cache.") and your scolding of Kit Fox for doing something you were just scolded for earlier..... You agreed that a dumpster cache is a success. Just read where you answered "yes" to my statement.... :laughing:

Fine. I agreed that if a cacher finds a cache hidden near a dumpster and enjoys it, he may emulate that hide. In the scenario, there are alredy two cachers that would tend to enjoy that hide. Likely if there are two, there are more. Therefore, that cache would be considered a success.

Happy?

(edited to hurry and fix a typo before someone ridicules me for it.)

Yes! But is success what is good for the two cachers or what is good for geocaching as a whole?
That isn't "banning." It was suggesting doing the the same thing that they did to virtuals. They just split them off and allowed them on Waymarking.com where they fit better. So they still are allowed to exist. Banning implies not being allowed anymore.
I don't know how to tell you this, so I'll just come right out and give it to you straight. Virts aren't allowed anymore.
I don't know how to tell you this, so I'll just come right out and give it to you straight. Virts aren't allowed anymore.

Wrong again! They are allowed on the sister site called Waymarking.com. Plus the older ones were allowed to remain on GC.com.
Yes! But is success what is good for the two cachers or what is good for geocaching as a whole?
First, you are assuming that the cache is only enjoyed by those two cachers. Second, one cache doesn't change geocaching as a whole. Third, who are you to judge?

Who am I to judge that caches near smelly trash dumpsters are not good for geocaching as a whole? It was an opinion. You know...that thing you don't allow people to have..... :laughing:

Ah - the wonders of discovering how other parts of the world live!

What kind of strange world has lamp posts with removable collars that ordinary members of the public can play with anyway?

This is actually a vaguely serious question. Where I live, (not a minor third world country, before you wonder) all access into lamp posts is securely locked, so that only the council staff responsible for their maintenance can get access. This is done both to prevent vandalism/tampering, and as a safety precaution.

What do these skirts hide? are the electrics / controls for the lamppost concealed under them, or do they just make the map posts more attractive looking?

I have a fe comments for this topic:

1. A lamp post skirt is basically window dressing - makes it look pretty.

2. At the cache lig site, I got this one:

This cache should be archived so you can save a little face. Nice view of the alley! TNLNSL! - funny.

3. Like another poster, I've found one lampskirt micro and thought it was cool. I'll prolly do a few more as soon as we get some freakin' Walmarts around here!

4. I recently placed a micro in a city park as part of a series but in order to avoid the hum-drum of an urban micro, I made it a puzzle cache which so far has gotten good reviews - both in the logs and emails.

For your viewing pleasure -

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...75-f851bbea1108

It is my first hide, and I'm quite proud of it. Not the cache itself, but the puzzle. and the challenge of finding it, not by trekking through the bush in the middle of a forest, but by solving a brain-bender and heading out. Just my 2 cents.

-MGb

Ah - the wonders of discovering how other parts of the world live!

What kind of strange world has lamp posts with removable collars that ordinary members of the public can play with anyway?

This is actually a vaguely serious question. Where I live, (not a minor third world country, before you wonder) all access into lamp posts is securely locked, so that only the council staff responsible for their maintenance can get access. This is done both to prevent vandalism/tampering, and as a safety precaution.

What do these skirts hide? are the electrics / controls for the lamppost concealed under them, or do they just make the map posts more attractive looking?

I have a fe comments for this topic:

1. A lamp post skirt is basically window dressing - makes it look pretty.

2. At the cache lig site, I got this one:

This cache should be archived so you can save a little face. Nice view of the alley! TNLNSL! - funny.

3. Like another poster, I've found one lampskirt micro and thought it was cool. I'll prolly do a few more as soon as we get some freakin' Walmarts around here!

4. I recently placed a micro in a city park as part of a series but in order to avoid the hum-drum of an urban micro, I made it a puzzle cache which so far has gotten good reviews - both in the logs and emails.

For your viewing pleasure -

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...75-f851bbea1108

It is my first hide, and I'm quite proud of it. Not the cache itself, but the puzzle. and the challenge of finding it, not by trekking through the bush in the middle of a forest, but by solving a brain-bender and heading out. Just my 2 cents.

-MGb

Puzzle caches are very cool! For me, they elevate just about any urban cache. :laughing:
I did just that: GCZD44 and GCX4Y7
Then what's the problem?

There was no problem, it was a suggestion for cachers who need some new ideas when hiding caches in an urban environment. There is nothing wrong with giving advice on how to improve cache placement. Nobody will argue that hiding a cache in a better location is detrimental to the sport we both love.

I just finnished pointing out, all that applys in a parking lot.

you have choices of container, you have many choices of placment, yes you can even cammo it to look like part of the sign, or part of the fence. Yes it does take the same effort, tell me how it doesn't? just cause it's a parking lot and not a park? you will put just as much effort in to either and you can't prove it to anyone any way. The size totaly does matter, Maybe it is a micro or even regular sized coin exchange hub cache. It needs to be a bit bigger (old pill bottles) or you started it out with coins in it.. Maybe it's a standard micro with just a logbook and a pencil, in this case all you need is a film container, maybe it's got to fit in a crack in the curb, or a notch in a fence/tree. then you can use a pill shaped (micro) micro. You obviously don't know or care to learn that greyspace caching is just as hard/easy as greenspace caching.

Your point/argument is invalid. Please re think your reason and try this argument again or call your mama to help you. This is a recording.

Well here's a hint, if you don't want to do a cache near a smelly trash dumpster, don't do it.

I'm not a genious or anything but I'm sure you should be able to figure or if you want to do it or not.

The fact is a parking lot is not a smelly cache dumpster. And if it were I could name a few other caches that are near a dumpster, or worse landfills.

And yes chances are, if enuf people start to like smelly trash dumpster caches, they will pop up.

I suggest deal with the trash or don't go to it. I personaly love smelly trash dumpster caches.

Since when did you become the geocaching expert, with 20 finds, and a month's worth of caching?

Perhaps you can quit smoking the "green stuff" and start paying attention in English class, so we can decipher what you're actually trying to say. Your spelling is atrocious. :laughing:

You know, a person can spell a word or two wrong. It's ok and it is not a reason to laugh at a person. You have no idea if I smoke it or if I'm just "ok" with it, or even if I sell it to your mother. You have no idea who I am.

I know one thing. You're not some guy who just stumbled on this website recently, got a GPS on Xmas day 2006, and all of a sudden 25 days later is in the forums defending all that is lame. Methinks I smell a troll. :drama:

There was no problem, it was a suggestion for cachers who need some new ideas when hiding caches in an urban environment. There is nothing wrong with giving advice on how to improve cache placement. Nobody will argue that hiding a cache in a better location is detrimental to the sport we both love.
I totally agree with you. However, what is detrimental is a few people to try to shout down everyone else claiming that they're caches are lame for no other reason than because the few don't like them. What is also detrimental to the game is for a few people to decry that those caches should not be allowed to exist on GC.com, even though they meet the guidelines.
I totally agree with you. However, what is detrimental is a few people to try to shout down everyone else claiming that they're caches are lame for no other reason than because the few don't like them. What is also detrimental to the game is for a few people to decry that those caches should not be allowed to exist on GC.com, even though they meet the guidelines.

I requested a new attribute.

ya i have two of these and my first cache was one of these i think these are cool spots but i like them because when your parents are shopping at kohls it gives you somthing to do :laughing: my other one is near the best coffee shop in the world :drama: so i dont mind them just dont put them everywhere like i have one near a walmart but its across from a beutiful fountain and the container blends in very well and its amongst sa lot of old town shops near a beutiful bollavard one of the best places to shop or enjoy a snack

I requested a new attribute.

Thanks for doing that! :drama: Jeremy is also talking about adding an award option down the road. That will allow us to add exceptional caches back to our PQs! :laughing: Edited by TrailGators

I was FTF on an urban cache this morning.

In a 20' wide green strip between a busy road and a parking lot.

Took 2 hours to find, in 45° pouring rain.

One of the most interesting hides I have ever seen.

That was fun.

Just sayin'

How dare you have fun! This is supposed to be fun, and then you go and have some of it like it's how this RASH is supposed to be itched! I swear, some people just don't freaking get it. :laughing:

What is also detrimental to the game is for a few people to decry that those caches should not be allowed to exist on GC.com, even though they meet the guidelines.
The bottomline with this thread is that you have never stopped trying to silence our "opinions." :laughing: Edited by TrailGators

I was FTF on an urban cache this morning.

In a 20' wide green strip between a busy road and a parking lot.

Took 2 hours to find, in 45° pouring rain.

One of the most interesting hides I have ever seen.

That was fun.

Just sayin'

Glad you had fun. What was that cache rated? I'm just curious if it would have been filtered out by my crude difficulty and terrain have to be equal to or greater than 2 filter....Of course, I do add back any cache that is recommended! :laughing:
I planted a small one on a telephone booth on an interesting street. It's hard when you're in an concrete jungle.
That's convenient for anyone that needs to call someone for a hint! :laughing: I have seen some very clever ideas that people have done in concrete jungles. One guy took a digital photo of a large sticker on an electrical box and made an exact copy of it and made it into a thin refrigerator type magnet with the log on the magnetic side. He stuck it on back the box and it looked exactly like the real thing but you pulled it off and signed it (once you finally figured it out)! :drama: Edited by TrailGators
I planted a small one on a telephone booth on an interesting street. It's hard when you're in an concrete jungle.
That's convenient for anyone that needs to call someone for a hint! :laughing: I have seen some very clever ideas that people have done in concrete jungles. One guy took a digital photo of a large sticker on an electrical box and made an exact copy of it and made it into a thin refrigerator type magnet with the log on the magnetic side. He stuck it on back the box and it looked exactly like the real thing but you pulled it off and signed it (once you finally figured it out)! :drama:

The worse part is the reception I get is so bad. All the tall building.

I know one thing. You're not some guy who just stumbled on this website recently, got a GPS on Xmas day 2006, and all of a sudden 25 days later is in the forums defending all that is lame. Methinks I smell a troll.

Thinking the same thing here! :laughing:

On topic,,, the majority of urban cache finds that we've made were pretty much not interesting or memorable at all. There are some good ones out there but unfortunately, not very many. We definitely prefer caches that offer a challenge, bring us to a scenic place, and/or offer a good camo job or cool container. In otherwords, we like caches that have had some thought put in to them. But, i do realize that these are our preferences and that there are those out there who love parking lot caches. These caches do have their place and i don't think that any of us should get bent out of shape because they've been placed.

I do agree that it would be really nice if there was a way to filter them out if a person wanted to. :drama:

That's convenient for anyone that needs to call someone for a hint! :drama: I have seen some very clever ideas that people have done in concrete jungles. One guy took a digital photo of a large sticker on an electrical box and made an exact copy of it and made it into a thin refrigerator type magnet with the log on the magnetic side. He stuck it on back the box and it looked exactly like the real thing but you pulled it off and signed it (once you finally figured it out)! :laughing:

You may want to check out the new Garmins with the SiRF chip (60CSX). They will perform much better under those conditions! :drama:
That's convenient for anyone that needs to call someone for a hint! :drama: I have seen some very clever ideas that people have done in concrete jungles. One guy took a digital photo of a large sticker on an electrical box and made an exact copy of it and made it into a thin refrigerator type magnet with the log on the magnetic side. He stuck it on back the box and it looked exactly like the real thing but you pulled it off and signed it (once you finally figured it out)! :laughing:

You may want to check out the new Garmins with the SiRF chip (60CSX). They will perform much better under those conditions! :drama:

I'm still trying to figure it out. If I'm on the street I can get 33 ft. If I'm 19 stories in the air with a clear view of the sky, I get worse reception.

That's convenient for anyone that needs to call someone for a hint! :drama: I have seen some very clever ideas that people have done in concrete jungles. One guy took a digital photo of a large sticker on an electrical box and made an exact copy of it and made it into a thin refrigerator type magnet with the log on the magnetic side. He stuck it on back the box and it looked exactly like the real thing but you pulled it off and signed it (once you finally figured it out)! :drama:

You may want to check out the new Garmins with the SiRF chip (60CSX). They will perform much better under those conditions! :laughing:

I'm still trying to figure it out. If I'm on the street I can get 33 ft. If I'm 19 stories in the air with a clear view of the sky, I get worse reception.

I see what you mean. If the cache is 19 stories up then you will need really very good accuracy! :drama: But seriously, it sounds like you are getting some signal bounce. Many GPSs really work well with large amounts of concrete and metal nearby.