Urban Caching

instafar

Living in Houston, TX you can imagine that most of the caches around me are urban micro caches. Some of them are hidden in wonderful places that show me interested or beautiful parts of the city that I might not have ever found on my own.

More and more though I am running into caches that are just placed in terrible spots. As I find the cache I look around and wonder why in the world would someone place a cache here??? It is not fun, exciting, interesting, beautiful, or educational. Here is an example of one I just found 1 hour ago. The cache was a micro cache (rolled up log book in a film canister) that was hidden in the base of a light pole in the middle of a Walmart parking lot. First of all, while driving to it you already know exactly were it has to be... can't hide it in the pavement. Second, the only way to get to it without looking suspicious is to pretend to be talking on your cell phone next to your parked car. Third, lifting the base collar on a light pole could be both dangerous and concidered tampering with private property.

This is just one example of an urban microcache that just does not fit the whole purpose behind the Geocaching game. There are so many out there as silly as this one. Don't get me wrong, I have found so many others that are very interesting and unuasual, but how do we get cache placers to put a little effort into where and why they are hiding a cache?

I would love to hear what others have to say about this issue. Or maybe you don't see it as a big deal... comments...

The first lightpole skirt cache I found I thought was very cool -- I'd never seen it and didn't know you could hide stuff under there. It was also in the parking lot of a park, not a store, and it was the first stage of a multi that was in the park, not a micro cache unto itself. Now, though, I don't even bother with them.

The plus side is, now that I know about the skirts and most non-cachers don't, I've used them to hide my keys when I want to lock my car and don't want to carry them (e.g. jogging)

OH MY GOD! They put caches in lamposts?? :rolleyes:

Just kidding, there must be 5000 of those.

Now that you've discovered that you don't like them, drive on, friend, no need to stop. Did the cache listing make you think this was gonna be a place of interest?

What you are experiencing as the demise of urban caching is in fact just those of us who like different things than you.

Have fun, skip the one's you don't like,

Ed

I still think they are pretty funny, and like the fact that we know and 'they' don't.

Around here in the past few weeks we have had a pretty balanced distribution of urban hides and walks in the woods. If you feel that your area is lacking in balance, then perhaps you should take on part of the responsibility for correcting that by hiding the type of cache you prefer to find? Then others will find them, maybe enjoy them, and then hide some more like those for you to go find! :rolleyes:

I've found an advantage in the proliferation of "lame" urban caches. Add a little imagination and that lamppost can surprise. Instead of a magnetic micro, put a small container under there with trade items. Make it part of a lamppost puzzle cache. Put a micro inside a rubber rat or spider under the lamp skirt. I found a cache under the biggest lamskirt I've ever seen (It took two people to retrieve it).

A little twist is all it takes.

Second, the only way to get to it without looking suspicious is to pretend to be talking on your cell phone next to your parked car. Third, lifting the base collar on a light pole could be both dangerous and concidered tampering with private property.

That's exactly what makes me avoid them. You just look suspicious searching / hiding something in such a location.

But people seem to love them because it's so easy to make huge numbers of 1/1 caches. I don't mind. Someone said that if you don't like them, hide a better one, which is true, I would be annoyed if a "perfect" location would be blocked by a lame micro. But on the other hand, it first come first serve, and there are still millions of cool places around.

GermanSailor

That's exactly what makes me avoid them. You just look suspicious searching / hiding something in such a location. ...

That's very interesting. My take on them is that they are easy to retrieve and replace without being spotted because they are either in a sea of cars (in which case you can't be easily seen) or you can park right next to them (effectively blocking the view).

Perhaps you just need a larger vehicle. :ph34r:

Edited by sbell111

Living in Houston, TX you can imagine that most of the caches around me are urban micro caches. Some of them are hidden in wonderful places that show me interested or beautiful parts of the city that I might not have ever found on my own.

More and more though I am running into caches that are just placed in terrible spots. As I find the cache I look around and wonder why in the world would someone place a cache here??? It is not fun, exciting, interesting, beautiful, or educational. Here is an example of one I just found 1 hour ago. The cache was a micro cache (rolled up log book in a film canister) that was hidden in the base of a light pole in the middle of a Walmart parking lot. First of all, while driving to it you already know exactly were it has to be... can't hide it in the pavement. Second, the only way to get to it without looking suspicious is to pretend to be talking on your cell phone next to your parked car. Third, lifting the base collar on a light pole could be both dangerous and concidered tampering with private property.

This is just one example of an urban microcache that just does not fit the whole purpose behind the Geocaching game. There are so many out there as silly as this one. Don't get me wrong, I have found so many others that are very interesting and unuasual, but how do we get cache placers to put a little effort into where and why they are hiding a cache?

I'm with you instafar. Even though they are 100% wrong about everything else, there is one thing the people who would defend carp caches like you describe are correct about: "If you don't like them, don't find them". If you become a premium member, you can add such caches to your ignore list, and filter them out via advanced searches, or pocket queries.

Oh, and I'm just kidding about those people being 100% wrong about everything else. That's just my opinion. :ph34r:

It reminds me about the old bit...

Q: Why is what I'm looking for always in the last place I search?

A: Because you stopped looking once you found it.

Statistically speaking, if you've searched out all of the memorials, museums and other caches that caught your attention, then you're going to be left with more and more less interesting caches as you go.

If you become a premium member, you can add such caches to your ignore list, and filter them out via advanced searches, or pocket queries.

That's not entirely true. There is no way to filter out lamppost caches or caches that are in an uninteresting place and leave other kinds of hides that the OP may want to find. Sometimes you can tell from the logs the cache may not be that interesting; you don't need to be a premium member to read the logs. You could check with Google maps and see if the cache is in a parking lot (if its not a multi), but you might miss the parking lot that happens to have an historic marker or a great view or some cool public art. If you are going to look for urban caches you are going to find ones in places that OP doesn't think are deserving of caches or that hidden in ways that the OP feels uncomfortable or unsafe searching for. Premium members can create bookmark lists of urban caches they think are worth doing or of ones they think should be avoided and share them.

Strange, I find there are more of every kind of cache than ever before. Mostly I think peoples hatred of urban hides is a freudian slip as to what they think about the urban world they live in.

Egads man, if you can't stand to see a cache there, you should ask why the hell did someone make that spot to begin with!!!

The only reason there are caches under lamppost skirts, in Wal Mart parking lots, is because many cachers are willing to actively hunt them. They even go so far as to thank the owner for the cache, when they log their find. (My opinion) As long as some cachers have low quality standards, and are willing to find them, the rest of us will have to spend time researching every cache, or using creative pocket queries to weed out said caches.

My "super secret method" for weeding out 99% of lame parking lot caches, is to run pocket queries with a minimum terrain rating of 3 stars.

You can always write a coded "found it log."

If it wasn't for geocaching, I would have never known this parking lot existed.

or

Nice Parking lot.

Thanks for bringing me to your "special spot."

Edited by Kit Fox

You can always write a coded "found it log."

If it wasn't for geocaching, I would have never known this parking lot existed.

or

Nice Parking lot.

Thanks for bringing me to your "special spot."

Thanks Kit Fox. I really like this idea.

You have each given me a slightly different viewpoint of these caches (which is the purpose of the forums). A lot to chew on. Thanks for the input and keep it coming.

You have each given me a slightly different viewpoint of these caches (which is the purpose of the forums). A lot to chew on. Thanks for the input and keep it coming.

If you need some other creative logs, check out these! http://loungingatwalden.googlepages.com/RandomLog.html

This cache is one of my all time least favorites. Good-times! Thanks for the fun!

This is my personal favorite log. :ph34r:

This cache was ill-conceived and ill-received. A 12-billion dollar satellite system overhead, and this is the best hide you could come up with! TNLNSL!

I've found an advantage in the proliferation of "lame" urban caches. Add a little imagination and that lamppost can surprise. Instead of a magnetic micro, put a small container under there with trade items. Make it part of a lamppost puzzle cache. Put a micro inside a rubber rat or spider under the lamp skirt. I found a cache under the biggest lamskirt I've ever seen (It took two people to retrieve it).

A little twist is all it takes.

An active bees' nest is a good one too! I found one of those.

Strange, I find there are more of every kind of cache than ever before. Mostly I think peoples hatred of urban hides is a freudian slip as to what they think about the urban world they live in.

Egads man, if you can't stand to see a cache there, you should ask why the hell did someone make that spot to begin with!!!

You beat me to it. Heck, it's just the city. What does anyone really expect?

Another thing you need to understand is that not every cache is hidden just for you. Not everyone has the physical mobility or time to drive 2 hours, hike 3 more, search another thirty minutes and repeat the process for the next cache.

If you inadvertently find yourself at a lampskirt micro despite your best efforts to avoid it, then drive by or sign something non-inflammatory like "found it". No need to sign some rude comment since its not going to be helpful.

I would love to hear what others have to say about this issue. Or maybe you don't see it as a big deal... comments...

I HATE MICROS IN THE CITY!

The last time I said that repetitively in a GC.com forum, the moderator shut down the topic. So, I'll only say it once. I firmly believe geocaching was not formed for us to find light poles in parking lots, or for us to be looked upon as some sort of criminal along a busy street.

Micros have their place, when placed in an interesting spot. A parking lot is not interesting, in my humble opinion.

I stick to the woods as much as possible. Got lots of woods up here in northern Michigan......not a big fan of the concrete jungle.

Here are two lamp post cache stories from the past week (I have many more):

Over Christmas, my immediate family wanted to get together with an Aunt and Cousin who live on the opposite side of the state. "Let's meet halfway in between for lunch!" With my fancy mapping software and POI database, I was appointed to choose the restaurant. I couldn't find anything, as halfway in between was the middle of nowhere. So instead I searched for geocaches near those coordinates, and quickly spotted a parking lot micro. One of them mentioned being next to a well-known family restaurant that my mother enjoys. Problem solved. We found the micro while waiting for my Aunt to show up. I hadn't seen her in more than ten years! So a parking lot micro facilitated a family reunion.

Then, when driving back to our home, my daughter needed a rest room and a snack break. We chose a truckstop that had a micro in the parking lot. Thanks, cache owner, for guiding us to exactly the place we needed! The cache was fun, too. There was a carload of muggles eating their lunch right in front of *that* lamp post. So we did our business inside and came back out, scoring the find at that time. We laughed at being sneaky. I like it when I can share a laugh with my daughter.

Like any other cache, a lamp post micro is merely there to facilitate your experience. What you make of it is up to you. If you don't get some sort of enjoyment out of the company, the stealth requirement, the rhythym of racking up quick finds, or all the other benefits of a park and grab, then I am truly sorry for you. I am equally sorry for those who are unable to climb a mountain with me to find a cache near the summit. I like those, too.

If you need some other creative logs, check out these! http://loungingatwalden.googlepages.com/RandomLog.html

This cache is one of my all time least favorites. Good-times! Thanks for the fun!

This is my personal favorite log. :ph34r:

This cache was ill-conceived and ill-received. A 12-billion dollar satellite system overhead, and this is the best hide you could come up with! TNLNSL!

Cool side. I got this one.

This cache was magnificent! You've just invented a new form of Geocaching torture! TNLN and almost didn't bother signing the log!!

This one wasn't bad either.

This cache should be archived so you can save a little face. I hear GeoCaching University is enrolling students. You might was to haul your @#$! over there for a refresher course. One more for the record books!!

Edited by Renegade Knight

My "super secret method" for weeding out 99% of lame parking lot caches, is to run pocket queries with a minimum terrain rating of 3 stars.

That won't work in Houston. You have to screen the pq with a terrain rating of at least 3.5. The other day I did a park and grab, 25 feet from the street, with a terrain rating of 4. I call it 'terrain creep.'

Ah - the wonders of discovering how other parts of the world live!

What kind of strange world has lamp posts with removable collars that ordinary members of the public can play with anyway?

This is actually a vaguely serious question. Where I live, (not a minor third world country, before you wonder) all access into lamp posts is securely locked, so that only the council staff responsible for their maintenance can get access. This is done both to prevent vandalism/tampering, and as a safety precaution.

What do these skirts hide? are the electrics / controls for the lamppost concealed under them, or do they just make the map posts more attractive looking?

Ah - the wonders of discovering how other parts of the world live!

What kind of strange world has lamp posts with removable collars that ordinary members of the public can play with anyway?

This is actually a vaguely serious question. Where I live, (not a minor third world country, before you wonder) all access into lamp posts is securely locked, so that only the council staff responsible for their maintenance can get access. This is done both to prevent vandalism/tampering, and as a safety precaution.

What do these skirts hide? are the electrics / controls for the lamppost concealed under them, or do they just make the map posts more attractive looking?

They are a cover at the bottom of the post that covers the bolts that hold the post to the ground or to its cement footing. They just slide up the body of the light.

Edited by Dinoprophet

They're a cosmetic thing. Generally the only thing under the skirt is the bolts anchoring the pole into it's concrete base. I guess that's kind of a safety hazard in itself though, I'm surprised teenagers don't remove the bolts in the middle of the night as a "prank".

They're a cosmetic thing. Generally the only thing under the skirt is the bolts anchoring the pole into it's concrete base. I guess that's kind of a safety hazard in itself though, I'm surprised teenagers don't remove the bolts in the middle of the night as a "prank".

I'd say a cosmetic thing as well as a weather cover for the bolts. Five years ago, who would have thought I'd ever know this, but there seems to be several different designs by several different manufacturers. :laughing:

The only reason there are caches under lamppost skirts, in Wal Mart parking lots, is because many cachers are willing to actively hunt them. They even go so far as to thank the owner for the cache, when they log their find. (My opinion) As long as some cachers have low quality standards, and are willing to find them, the rest of us will have to spend time researching every cache, or using creative pocket queries to weed out said caches. ...

You could have saved a few words by simply saying that 'The only reason there are caches under lamppost skirts is because many cachers enjoy them.'

Edited by sbell111

my new favorite is the micro hidden somewhere in a rotted out tree. "Gee, I get to rummage around in there for 15 minutes?"

no thanks, but I will still try to find them.

I am still in the "If its near me I wiill find it" mode :laughing:

The last time I said that repetitively in a GC.com forum, the moderator shut down the topic. So, I'll only say it once. I firmly believe geocaching was not formed for us to find light poles in parking lots, or for us to be looked upon as some sort of criminal along a busy street.

Micros have their place, when placed in an interesting spot. A parking lot is not interesting, in my humble opinion.

I stick to the woods as much as possible. Got lots of woods up here in northern Michigan......not a big fan of the concrete jungle.

Though I prefer geocaching in the woods, I have no problem with urban hides. Cities have many fascinating places that are deserving of geocaches. What I dislike are the uninspired 7-Eleven dumpster and Wal Mart lamp post hides - the kind just placed so the hider and his cronies can pad their numbers.

I know the mantra repeated by the numbers hounds. "If you don't like them, don't search for them". Well until Groundspeak develops a pocket query selection option for lousy caches so I can weed these out, I reserve the right to complain about them.

You could have saved a few words by simply saying that 'The only reason there are caches under lamppost skirts is because many cachers enjoy them.'

I think what one segment enjoys isn't so much as the cache itself, but just the opportunity to increment their find account. They'd crawl through sewage if they can add a smiley. Another group (and I know a few in this category) doesn't particularly like these but they are compulsive about keeping a certain radius around their home "clean" of unfound caches. They actually look forward to these caches as much as they do going to the dentist to get their teeth cleaned, but they do it because that radius must be umblemished.

I sincerely doubt that many people see another Wal-Mart hide pop up and say "Oh boy! I simply must get out there to see the new parking lot".

Edited by briansnat

Though I prefer geocaching in the woods, I have no problem with urban hides. Cities have many fascinating places that are deserving of geocaches. What I dislike are the uninspired 7-Eleven dumpster and Wal Mart lamp post hides - the kind just placed so the hider and his cronies can pad their numbers.

I know the mantra repeated by the numbers hounds. "If you don't like them, don't search for them". Well until Groundspeak develops a pocket query selection option for lousy caches so I can weed these out, I reserve the right to complain about them.

Wait...

arn't you one of 'them'??? (TPTB) :laughing:

:laughing:

... I know the mantra repeated by the numbers hounds. "If you don't like them, don't search for them". Well until Groundspeak develops a pocket query selection option for lousy caches so I can weed these out, I reserve the right to complain about them.

... and the rest of us reserve the right to roll our eyes.

:laughing::laughing::unsure:

Edited by sbell111

This unscientific poll that has been running on the Northern NJ Cachers website seems to say that isn't the case at all.

66f10eef-831a-440d-bdd3-b09fe2e0e7b9.jpg

This is my personal favorite log. :D

If someone left that on one of my cache's I'd be pretty royally pissed off.

For the record, I'm not a big fan of the urban micro's under a lamppost. But at least the person went through some effort to place a hid. If you don't like those, don't freakin' hunt 'em! I don't generally like the micro's, so ya know what I do? I don't go hunting them!

This strikes me as someone who hates chinesse food going into a chinesse resturant, ordering dinner, and then complaining to the chef afterwards that he hated the food.

Read the description, check out what the size of the cache is... that should let you know 99.9% of the time what type of cache you can expect to find there. Don't yell at someone else for putting out a cache you don't like if you didn't take even 60 seconds to research the cache to find out if it's a type you like or don't like.

This unscientific poll that has been running on the Northern NJ Cachers website seems to say that isn't the case at all.

I used to be a huge Trekkie... still enjoy it, but I'm not even close to the regular watcher/collector I used to be. Anyway, back in the day I was a regular on the trek usenet groups, and there would be regular discussion of the episodes each week. On occasion there would be a particularly bad episode... either a weak plot, horrible acting, bad writing...whatever. Of course on those occasions everyone would talk about how bad the episode was and most all would agree. However, everyone would also usually include the comment: Even bad Star Trek is better than no Star Trek.

I think that's what we're seeing here... Many of us really would prefer to find an ammo can in the woods (or even expertly hidden urbanly). But we'd rather search for a cache, even a 'lame' one, than not search at all. That's why cachers still activiely seek Lamp post micros, and enjoy the geocaching experience, even if they don't like 'em.

But we'd rather search for a cache, even a 'lame' one, than not search at all.

I hope you are speaking for yourself.

A "lame" cache is a waste of my time. I'd rather it never even pop up on my radar. Even if I identify it as a lame cache right off the bat, I still have to take the time to ignore it. Instead, I'd rather be preparing for, or hunting, a cache that is worth the effort.

Ooo! I've got the attribute icon ready to roll out ...

lamppostmicro.gif

-eP

I'd be interested in knowing whether that poll allows you to choose all that applies, or just your favorite kind. Also, I wonder how much peer pressure affects the autcome of polls like this one.

From related threads over the last week or so, it is apparent that people do, indeed, like caches that you believe to be lame.

Luckily, it's OK that you don't like the same kind of caches that other people enjoy. There's plenty of caches out there for everybody.

That only proves that people who like parking lot hides have more to do then spend time on the Northern NJ Cachers forum.

The early adopters of geocaching probably had a high percentage of people who liked outdoor activities like hiking, camping, and hunting. They probably already had a GPSr when they began geocaching. There were fewer urban hides. There were probably a higher percentage of hiders who believed that you should take people to a interesting or special place or at least on an interesting hike when they looked for a cache. I believe that now we have a higher percentage of new cachers who fall into what I call the urban cacher category. They view geocaching as a hide and seek game. The object is find caches that have been hidden and where the cache is hidden is not as important. In fact for many, it may be better if the cache is hidden down the street in a parking lot than on a hike in the woods. Many urban caches choose not to hike for various reasons. They may have physical limitations or cache with small children who would get tired on a long hike or may just not have as much free time to spend geocaching. I believe these new cachers are what is driving the increase in urban caches.

I agree with briansnat on this point. There isn't really a way to separate the caches placed in urban areas that take you to an interesting historic or cultural location, a great view, or a nice neighborhood park you wouldn't have otherwise known about from the caches that take you a lamppost in a parking lot or a dumpster in an alley.

But we'd rather search for a cache, even a 'lame' one, than not search at all.

I hope you are speaking for yourself.

A "lame" cache is a waste of my time. I'd rather it never even pop up on my radar. Even if I identify it as a lame cache right off the bat, I still have to take the time to ignore it. Instead, I'd rather be preparing for, or hunting, a cache that is worth the effort.

Your lame and my lame are not the same. Thus a lame filter to prevent even seeing lame on the radar is a huge problem to tackle. Instead I know my area, I know hiding styles and I can look at a big map of caches and say "this looks like a good area" and go find the ones that are likely to prove to be fun to me. Even a fun filter would be different for everone. Plus it changes further compliating a database and filter solution.

The only viable option is to use your own brain as your own filter. There is no other way. Ok you could give up caching but why?