New To GeoCaching

dlsknight

Wanted to say Hello and ask a few questions

One of my girlfriends pals took me out about 2 years ago and we found 2-3 sites. Was a blast and have been looking forward to getting started ever since. My first GPS gadget found it's way to me just after Christmas. To date I have only found one but have logged a ton on the unit for my 1st day off work.

Can use some hints and pass down knowledge from the pro's

I have noticed that several of the sites have hints and information needed for the find on the webpages. Being that I have a short attention span and ADD most often forget the info by the time I get out there. So I am using a large note pad to put the info down. What are the things you all have used for this?

Will sooner or later purchase some bugs and geocoins but until then was just thinking of going to the dollar store, or what not, to get lil trinkets to put in the caches. Only thing is that I do not want to just be putting in trash. What do you all swap items for and what type of trinkets are most desired by others?

Do any of you use a PC program that logs and holds all information from your GeoCaching? If so what types? My package came with a MapSource trip and waypoint manager. It is a nice start but seems a little bit limited with information. Then again I have not played with it much yet.

Thanks for your time and input

Edited by dlsknight

First of all, welcome! A lot of this has been covered extensively, so rather than cover it in detail here, I'll give you a quick summary and then if you use the search function on what I suggest, you will find lots of reading and information.

I have noticed that several of the sites have hints and information needed for the find on the webpages. Being that I have a short attention span and ADD most often forget the info by the time I get out there. So I am using a large note pad to put the info down. What are the things you all have used for this?

What you are asking is commonly referred to as "paperless" caching and usually involves carrying a PDA (or Pocket PC) that will hold all the info on the cache pages. The most common application is Cachemate, which I think is $8, and will be one of the best investments you can make. In addition to that, you might want to look at Plucker, which I think is free, but I haven't used it. That should get you started.

Will sooner or later purchase some bugs and geocoins but until then was just thinking of going to the dollar store, or what not, to get lil trinkets to put in the caches. Only thing is that I do not want to just be putting in trash. What do you all swap items for and what type of trinkets are most desired by others?

These vary, but most people frown on "junk" like broken McToys (the happy meal toys) or leaving rocks or leaves. And of course food/drink/knives/matches/lighters are all no-nos. I very seldom trade any more but carry around some toys from the dollar store in case I run across something my kid would like, and then I carry two nice "adult" items such as a poncho, flashlight, waterproof match holder, etc....that I would trade for something nice if I happen to find it. Most caches end up getting junky over time anyways, so I don't find a lot of nice things. It's just one of those things I've accepted. If you do a title only search for "trade items" you'll find a lot of info.

Do any of you use a PC program that logs and holds all information from your GeoCaching? If so what types? My package came with a MapSource trip and waypoint manager. It is a nice start but seems a little bit limited with information. Then again I have not played with it much yet.

Do a search on GSAK, as that seems to be the most popular. Although the program is very powerful and does everything under the sun, the basics are pretty simple. It's free, but after 20 days you get nag screens until you register ($20). There are also several alternatives out there that will transfer waypoints to your GPS, such as EasyGPS, but I am unfamiliar with them as I've just used GSAK since day 1.

The biggest thing you could do as a newbie to improve your experience is to become a premium member, which will allow you to run pocket queries. This is basically a search that will email you a file containing up to 500 caches, which you can then load into your GPS all at once using EasyGPS or GSAK, and then also load them into your PDA. It sure beats loading things by hand...

Edited by ThePropers

Welcome aboard!!!!

Writing down info like the size, difficulty and terrain, the hint and any possible info that might be of help is crucial if you don't print the whole page!! Going after a cache with NO idea of the size or toughness is tricky at best!! My new Magellan Explorist 500 LE actually lets me add all that info right to the unit!

I usually don't use the hints, but I might scan the logs to see if there is anything listed there that might be of help...read between the lines!!

Trade swag...flashlights, BATTERIES, those all-in-one tools, lotto tickets, dollar coins (or paper money too) etc... are all very welcome and can be used by most cachers!! Toys for the youngsters help too...as do pet toys!! Just remember that size IS limited in most cases!!

Try meeting other cachers whenever possible!!!! Go to a local Meet & Greet or similar event...MOST cachers are OVERLY friendly and many can offer great insight!!

Above all HAVE FUN and relax!! YOU make this sport what it is, we all play differently!! Be friendly and courteous to others around you, and try to use stealth AT ALL TIMES!!! You never know who may be watching from just around the corner or something!!

For what it's worth...here is my approach. Go to the website. Search for caches around my zipcode. Start opening cache pages and see what they are about. I don't go after a cache unless I'm interested in finding it. Everyones interest is different. Read the logs. Gotta be some interest generated from others' logs for me. Not about the numbers for me. Print out a copy of the cache page and head out. Hint is there. If needed in the field, decrypt it then.

Here is my method, and it works well.

I download the files to my GPSr. While doing this, I also save the webpage of the cache on my laptop. Therefore, if I do stumble and fail to find a cache in a reasonable amount of time, I can always come back to the truck and view the original information again. Unfortunately, this can be a pain if you use pocket queries. I do have a palm and will look into using that soon.

Good luck, happy caching,

JTA

When we first started out, I would find an area I wanted to visit, click on the map (map it at the top of the page) click on "nearest caches" and get a list of nearby caches. That gave me a map with numbers on it and a list of caches with matching numbers.

I pasted that list into my word processing program. Deleted anything I didn't want to see to save space, reduced the font size etc.

Added notes to the list, such as hints, or entrace fees, times the place was open etc from the cache page...Look for subtle hints there, too. Made sure I wrote the coordinates next to the caches, too, in case I entered them wrong by hand.

Copied the map of all the caches into my email program or a paint program and printed it off for a general visual reference. Then I could take two pieces of paper with info for 20 or so caches with me.

It worked. Later I learned to use Plucker and Spinner and EasyGPS to get all that info into my gps and a PDA. Nowdays I use GSAK and Cachemate. There are other options as well--but baby steps are OK, too.

Have fun!