Food in a cache?

We are looking to place a cache and think that some Astronaut ice cream (freeze-dried) would be a cool thing to put n it. We know that the rules say NO FOOD, but is this stuff really "food"?

I think you have a neat idea, but just follow the rules. If it's food (it's edible), it does not go into a cache. You shouldn't put anything in a cache that you would not want yourself. If you won't eat the ice cream, then why would you leave it for someone else? Besides, if it's in a wrapper, somebody's kid is just as likely to drop the wrapper and leave as they are to pack it out.

I had a similar idea last fall, but sticking MRE's in caches. I thought it would be pretty cool, but soon realized it is food, and smell or no smell that is against the rules, and I'm sure somebody would not have liked the idea, and complained about it. The ones I had, also were in a vacuum sealed container. Even though I wasn't going to put any in caches, just out of curiosity, I wanted to see if animals would be attracted to a cache with a MRE in it. So I purchased a large lock and lock, and put only one MRE inside. I then left it in the woods as if it was a cache. Now this being popular bear season by me, I thought the thing would be gone in a day or two. But to my surprise, I returned one week later, and the container wasn't touched. Wasn't moved at all, not even a little nibble mark on it from a little rodent.

So maybe they couldn't smell it? I can't say for sure. I can't even remember what kind of MRE it was.

I would never eat anything I found in a cache. We have a local cacher around here who always leaves a "trademark water bottle" (even if it doesn't fit in the cache) and I find that disgusting also. I wonder how many caches they're ruining now that we have freezing temperatures around here.

There are thousands of good trade item ideas, food doesn't need to be one of them.

I had a similar idea last fall, but sticking MRE's in caches. I thought it would be pretty cool, but soon realized it is food, and smell or no smell that is against the rules, and I'm sure somebody would not have liked the idea, and complained about it. The ones I had, also were in a vacuum sealed container. Even though I wasn't going to put any in caches, just out of curiosity, I wanted to see if animals would be attracted to a cache with a MRE in it. So I purchased a large lock and lock, and put only one MRE inside. I then left it in the woods as if it was a cache. Now this being popular bear season by me, I thought the thing would be gone in a day or two. But to my surprise, I returned one week later, and the container wasn't touched. Wasn't moved at all, not even a little nibble mark on it from a little rodent.

So maybe they couldn't smell it? I can't say for sure. I can't even remember what kind of MRE it was.

It's an interesting experiment, you should have taken it a little further just to see how much it would take. Such as:

1) Open the lock-n-lock for one week.

2) remove the MRE for one week.

3) open the MRE outer package for one week.

4) open the the crackers/cheese/peanut butter for one week.

5) open the main meal for one week.

6) open the dessert for one week.

Granted this would take nearly two months, but it'd be interesting to the results (ie. at what point would it attract animals and how much they would eat).

Me personally... if I were a bear, I wouldn't touch an MRE... but then I have a good bit of experience with them and cringe in fear everytime I see/smell one.

Now all of this is in no way suggesting that if the results hold that a bear or other animal is not willing to eat it, that it should go in a cache. I am a big supporter of the "No Food in Caches" rule. I just think it'd be an interesting experiment.

Although... if the MRE killed the bear (say the cornbeef MRE for instance, I believe that would do it)... there may be legal issues that you'd have to face, so maybe its not a good idea afterall.

:rolleyes:

OK that being said let us add, it comes in a Vacumn sealed package.

Believe it or not, that does not matter at all. Plenty of odor still migrates through the packaging; it is still food, it still smells like food, and will attract animals (and some space aliens as well...)

The ability of some animals to detect the slightest odor is simply phenomenal !

Special trained dogs can detect drugs or explosive despite being in sealed plastic bag and in a suitcase, or for IED buried on the side of roads (they use them in Irak).

Bears are told to be even better !

SO are you suggesting that they use trained bears instead of dogs for drug or IED detection? :rolleyes:

I do think the sight of a unformed bear on a leash might deter some illegal activity at airports though. :wub:

If it is edible, then it is food. If it is food, then it shouldn't be placed in a cache. What happens to that nice vacuum seal when someone puts the pencil next to it, sticks an oversized stuffed animal TB on top of the cache swag and then has to smoosh the lid back on? :wub:

PS have you ever really tasted the stuff? I have, and have even served it at catered event because I'm at a Science Museum and we have a very cool outer space exhibit right now, so it's fitting. The stuff is gross!

SO are you suggesting that they use trained bears instead of dogs for drug or IED detection? :rolleyes:

I do think the sight of a unformed bear on a leash might deter some illegal activity at airports though. :wub:

If it is edible, then it is food. If it is food, then it shouldn't be placed in a cache. What happens to that nice vacuum seal when someone puts the pencil next to it, sticks an oversized stuffed animal TB on top of the cache swag and then has to smoosh the lid back on? :wub:

PS have you ever really tasted the stuff? I have, and have even served it at catered event because I'm at a Science Museum and we have a very cool outer space exhibit right now, so it's fitting. The stuff is gross!

Beat me to it, the packaging is very fragile and there are too many other good things to leave instead. How about gift certificates to the local ice cream parlor instead?

Food in a cache?, Is freeze dried ice cream "food"?

Is it something you would eat? Or at least someone somewhere would eat (ie. fruit cake)?

Then its food.

Even if someone your particular item didn't smell, wouldn't break open, couldn't go bad and would actually be usefull to someone, some dolt could see your item and think its a good idea to leave other food things in caches ...:rolleyes:

I have an opinion on what happened with the MRE, bear with me a bit... Hubby brought some MREs home and put them in the basement. Our dog found them and ate the heating pack for the MREs, NOT the food :wub: we were waiting for her to fart and blow out the wall dividing our Married Quarter and our neighbours :wub: The animals know MREs taste bad and stay away :rolleyes:

Anyway, any food in a cache is bad, even vacuum sealed it might get punctured and then attract wild life.

SO are you suggesting that they use trained bears instead of dogs for drug or IED detection? :ph34r:

I do think the sight of a unformed bear on a leash might deter some illegal activity at airports though. B)

If it is edible, then it is food. If it is food, then it shouldn't be placed in a cache. What happens to that nice vacuum seal when someone puts the pencil next to it, sticks an oversized stuffed animal TB on top of the cache swag and then has to smoosh the lid back on? B)

Beat me to it, the packaging is very fragile and there are too many other good things to leave instead. How about gift certificates to the local ice cream parlor instead?

McDonalds Gift Cards instead of McToys!

*snip

It's an interesting experiment, you should have taken it a little further just to see how much it would take.

I did not take the MRE experiment any farther, but I have also tried other things in small lock and locks. I tried one with chocolate, cereal, and trailmix. I did not check on them everyday, but after a weeks time (same time as MRE) all three were totally demolished. But I can imagine it probably only took one day, not the full week for the critters to get to them. But maybe that is also why they didn't touch the MRE, they were to full from my other experiments. lol

As a beekeeper, I was putting beeswax candles in the caches I've found. I have been advised against it and, when i think about it, this makes perfect sense. Beeswax, like soap, would have a sweet smell. And honey atracts many different creatures.

I apologize to anyone's cache that I may have endangered. I'll also have to think of something else to leave... perhaps beeswax skin cream?

As a beekeeper, I was putting beeswax candles in the caches I've found. I have been advised against it and, when i think about it, this makes perfect sense. Beeswax, like soap, would have a sweet smell. And honey atracts many different creatures.

I apologize to anyone's cache that I may have endangered. I'll also have to think of something else to leave... perhaps beeswax skin cream?

Maybe if you could come up with a beeswax bear repellent.... :blink:

Several of the posts in this thread have mentioned a doubt about the taste of MRE's.

Altho I have never tried them I can't imagine they are as bad as the old "C-Rats."

I still have nightmares about the ham 'n eggs.

At any rate it's food and the rules apply.

I would never eat anything I found in a cache. We have a local cacher around here who always leaves a "trademark water bottle" (even if it doesn't fit in the cache) and I find that disgusting also. I wonder how many caches they're ruining now that we have freezing temperatures around here.

There are thousands of good trade item ideas, food doesn't need to be one of them.

No names here of course, but aren't those water bottles always left next to the cache? It actually helped me once, when a cache was moved by critters, and so I knew what the intended hiding spot was. :blink: Also, I'm in a somewhat of a unique position of having been in the military during the C-RAT to MRE transition, and I can say with 100% certainty that neither one actually contains any "food". :laughing:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

No names here of course, but aren't those water bottles always left next to the cache? It actually helped me once, when a cache was moved by critters, and I knew what the intended hiding spot was. :blink: Also, I'm in a somewhat of a unique position of having been in the military during the C-RAT to MRE transition, and I can say with 100% certainty that neither one actually contains any "food". :laughing:

I was around for the MRE 1 thru 5. The Dehydrated Pork Patty was the only really good main course. Most of the other meal main courses where OK. The meals got progressively worse with each generation. The cheese was always nasty.

If I'm not mistaken somebody placed a cache container around here that was an old plastic pretzel jar (the big ones you get at sam's club or other buy-in-bulk type stores). Despite washing it several times with bleach, the critters still wanted it, and well they got it, even though no food remained, and no smell that any human could detect.

Them critters is somethin' else.