Wanted: eXplorist 500 battery tray

cookiedoe

right now, my Magellan eXplorist 500 runs on a rechargeable batterym that lasts for 17 hours, which means that I have to buy a whole bunch of these batteries, pretty expensive, and then charge them all up before I can take my gps on a big camping trip. I've heard of a kind of battery tray that converts the eXplorist 500 to use AAA batteries. Does anyone have one they'd like to sell to me, or know where I can buy one from?

Cabella's has them too, if there's one nearby to you. They do lst for only about 4-6 hours on bright screen, but more like 6-8 on the lowest setting!

I just bought the car plug for mine! It hooks into the usb cable (which means it would be best to have 2 of those) and powers the unit very nicely while driving. The cable also recharges the li Ion battery.

Right now on the Magellan website, they have the battery and AC plug for $19.99

I got about 3 hours with the back light on high, 6 - 7 hours back light on low. Here is a link from the "Collection Of Existing FAQs". It tells you about the Motorola cell phone battery SNN5595B that will work in your explorist and is cheap on ebay. I just bought one for under $7.00 including shipping. You should get about 12 - 13 hours from it with the back light on low. Here is a great post on the same battery.