Preloaded vs. Do It Yourself

I swear I've looked everywhere in this forum. Although, I'm sure someone will correct me, I can't find any discussion regarding the pros or cons of preloaded software (eg. City/Topo), versus buying each software separate and loading as you go.

Some obvious choices for me:

*I currently do not have a DVD player in my computer. (Would have to buy DVD. Topo is still CD Rom).

*I currently have only the micro card that came w/ 60csx. (Would have to buy a larger card).

*I currently don't own ANY of the mentioned software. (Would have to buy the software anyway).

*Reading from forums: Can't load a gazillion maps anyway. Would slow down GPSr, and limit on maps?

*I don't think you can pre plan a trip on computer, if the software is on GPSr anyway...right?

*Darn those cards are small. Can't see cruising in Zoltig's new Rubicon chasing down RocketMan's 4x4's in Colorado's high country, only to have to rip off the cloves and change back to City NT from Topo?

*Unless I am missing the obvious (which is a good chance) I can see advantage of having all of the country on one disk preloaded. Then buying the preloaded Topo's for the area of my choice(s).

Thanks in advance.

New: Garmin 60csx

Old: Magellan Sportrack Pro

*Darn those cards are small. Can't see cruising in Zoltig's new Rubicon chasing down RocketMan's 4x4's in Colorado's high country, only to have to rip off the cloves and change back to City NT from Topo?

Don't forget that you may end up swallowing that little chip and you would think it was a crunchy bug!

I'm having a hard time understanding the question, so I'll just ignore it and charge ahead.

yes you can buy a Mini SD card with maps that are pre-loaded.

or

You can buy the software and load what you need.

While there may be an advantage in buying maps that are pre-loaded on the Mini SD card...I can't think of any short of having no contact with civilization as we know it.

Thus I would reccomend buying the map you want on CD/DVD and loading what you need. Switching between Topo and City software on your GPS doesn't involve chaning cards. You can load both maps on your GPS at the same time and switch between them.

My 19mb covers most of Idaho for both Topo and City Select (you would probably get Topo and City Navigator). 64mb will do you better than that.

Renegade: You answered the obvious. Of course I realize that I can "buy a Mini SD card with maps that are pre-loaded, OR buy software and load what I need. That was my Post Topic. What I am trying to determine in a not-so-eloquent way is whether it is worth the cost in buying a dvd reader for my computer, buying the larger card, and buying both sets of software that I would have to buy anyway. Bullet point *4/*5 were more technical questions that may have me fall off the fence one way or the other. All others were pretty much just rhetorical statements.

*I currently do not have a DVD player in my computer. (Would have to buy DVD. Topo is still CD Rom).

Buy a combo DVD ROM/CD burner. They cost about 1/10th of what you spent on your GPSr and sooner or later you're gonna need to get one anyway. They're not that hard to install.

*I currently have only the micro card that came w/ 60csx. (Would have to buy a larger card).

Buy a larger card - they're cheap too!

*I currently don't own ANY of the mentioned software. (Would have to buy the software anyway).

No getting around having to buy the software...

*Reading from forums: Can't load a gazillion maps anyway. Would slow down GPSr, and limit on maps?

Not true. You can buy City Navigator NT and install the whole country on one card. There is no decline in performance. The limit on the number of segments is only an issue if you're just loading Topo maps (and some other less-popular titles like Lights & Waterways). If you load half of the card with City Navigator maps, then memory will be the limiting factor.

*I don't think you can pre plan a trip on computer, if the software is on GPSr anyway...right?

Yes, you can (IF you have the CD/DVD). MapSource allows you to plot waypoints, create routes along those waypoints and send the routes and waypoints to the GPSr.

Yep! This would be a problem if you buy the pre-loaded cards. But NOT a problem if you have both titles on CD/DVD and load them yourself.

*Unless I am missing the obvious (which is a good chance) I can see advantage of having all of the country on one disk preloaded. Then buying the preloaded Topo's for the area of my choice(s).

If you lose your card, you have to buy another one! If you have the CDs, then you just buy another blank card and reload!

Bottom line, I think the pre-loaded cards are a rip-off. Again, if something happens to the card, you have to buy another card. You MIGHT be able to copy everything off the card and back it up on CD or another card, but I really don't know if this is an option.

Also, if you by the disks, you get the MapSource program which is a powerful management utility for your waypoints, routes and tracks. Using MapSource allows you to store more than one map title to a card allowing you to switch between map types using the GPSr's menu rather than physically changing cards (which IS a major P.I.T.A.).

Edited by Neo_Geo

Neo: Thank you for your response. You pointed out a situation that never even crossed my mind, like losing the card! You answered in one swoop all my questions, and then some. Two hours ago, I was sitting with a buddy drinking a pint, discussing how I was going to buy my preloaded card from REI Denver, or JAX Ft. Collins. Again, all I needed was a little push off of the fence. I will now be pursuing loading everything myself for the reasons you describe above. Again thanks for the info!