Comparing eTrex products

My wife and I began caching in September 2006. At that time, we bought the basic eTrex $100 unit (yellow). Now that we've got 150 finds under our belt and are totally addicted to the hobby, we've decided to upgrade to a better GPSr.

Primarily, we're most interested in buying a GPSr that shows the roads on it. While we would agree that sometimes finding the cache is half the fun, there have also been times that we would've liked to know at what road we should turn, rather than following a half-dozen wrong roads.

Since we own eTrex now, and I have a general understanding of what I'm doing, I'd like to stay with the eTrex product line.

Last night I was looking at the Venture, the Legend, and the Vista (all CX models). On the eTrex website, the prices are: Venture-$246; Legend-$289; and Vista-$321.

If I buy the Venture, will I be content, or is it worth the extra money to go with the Legend or Vista. And if so, why? :unsure:

Also, can someone explain about the "optional maps" that are available for any of these eTrex models? Does the GPSr come with a map or not?

Thanks,

Steve (aka Batman)

There are levels of mapping functionality, check the levels.

As recommended, the 60 series or the 76 series are the best, when you add the City Navigator Mapping CD. Of the units, the greater antenna/performance accuracy is in the 'x' models (60Cx, 60CSx, 76Cx, etc) AND they have the added micro-chip for more mapping storage.

What is nice, when you get one of these, you will be done - there is no BETTER or more functional option to distract you . . . you are home!

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

If you are on a budget, go with the Venture CX ( You can find it for a lot less than $249). You will find it to be a major upgrade over your current unit.

If you are willing to splurge on a Vista CX then I agree with Cybret, Grandpa Alex and anyone else who says go up another step to one of the 60 or 76 X models.

Edited by briansnat

If I buy the Venture, will I be content, or is it worth the extra money to go with the Legend or Vista. And if so, why? :unsure:

The only real difference between the VentureCX and the LegendCX is that the Legend ships with the miniUSB cable and a microSD card. If you already have a miniUSB cable, such as the type that connects a camera or PDA to a computer, you can get a 1gb microSD card for about $20.00, and be $ ahead of the stock LegendCX. The Vista adds a barometric altimeter and electronic compass. I personally have never used the barometric altimeter in my 60 series units and I'm beginning to find that the electronic compass is more trouble than its worth. Opinions vary widely on this topic, but my guess is that you have never had an electronic compass in your etrex, then you are probably not going ot miss it.

I have used a 60CS and 60CSx but I find myself leaving them at home and using the VentureCX for most caching. The 60 series units are excellent and have some features that the etrex units do not have, but they are also heavier and bulkier and I generally find them to be overkill for most caching I do. YMMV.

If you are comfortable with the etrex form factor I would recommend the VentureCX for the most bang for the buck if you already have a miniUSB cable. The newer units add a thumb rocker button to the face of the unit, but otherwise the side buttons are similar to what you are familiar with.

My wife and I began caching in September 2006. At that time, we bought the basic eTrex $100 unit (yellow). Now that we've got 150 finds under our belt and are totally addicted to the hobby, we've decided to upgrade to a better GPSr.

Primarily, we're most interested in buying a GPSr that shows the roads on it. While we would agree that sometimes finding the cache is half the fun, there have also been times that we would've liked to know at what road we should turn, rather than following a half-dozen wrong roads.

Since we own eTrex now, and I have a general understanding of what I'm doing, I'd like to stay with the eTrex product line.

Last night I was looking at the Venture, the Legend, and the Vista (all CX models). On the eTrex website, the prices are: Venture-$246; Legend-$289; and Vista-$321.

Also, can someone explain about the "optional maps" that are available for any of these eTrex models? Does the GPSr come with a map or not?

Thanks,

Steve (aka Batman)

Yeah, go for the gold and get the 60cx or 60csx. Also get an external antenna if you going to be out in the boonies (heavy timber) or under heavy cloud cover.

I agree with Media 610 that as between the Venture, Legend and Vista models, the Venture Cx is the way to go. The Legend's add-ons are easily purchased (or available if you have a digital camera) for less, and if you've never had an electronic compass (your old yeller doesn't), you won't miss it.

The 60Cx is the next logical step up. Although the form factor and button placement are a bit different, there isn't much of a learning curve. The 60Cx has its buttons on the front, labeled with words, instead of on the sides labeled with pictures, so it is not much of a trick to get the hang of the 60Cx.

The base map that ships with any of these units is about the same as the old highway maps you used to get at gas stations. They show major roads over a wide area, but nothing local. City Navigator ver 8 is extremely detailed, showing virtually all local roads as you zoom in on the map. It runs an extra $100 or so, so take that into consideration when you buy.

Edit: Note to self: Remove mittens before typing.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Venture or 60/76Cx.

That you have lived without an electronic compass means you can keep living without and and save the money.

If I were to upgrade today from my old Garmin it would be the 60/76Cx and my choice would be one of those too. If I wasn't quite ready to splurge I'd go the Venture just to kick the tires on the color GPSs.

If I buy the Venture, will I be content, or is it worth the extra money to go with the Legend or Vista. And if so, why? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Steve (aka Batman)

I've got an Etrex Legend CX with a 256 MB card in it and maps from City Select v7. I think it is GREAT. The antenna is great and matches accuracy with anything else I've seen. The form factor is excellent. Small, easy to use 1 handed (buttons on the side and rocker on the front are easy to use). Screen is a good size. And it does auto-routing with the maps. Save the $200 bucks and go for a Legend CX, you'll be happy you did.

Hi

I've been asking myself (and the forums) the same question over the past week or so. I've today decided to opt for the vista cx as although I agree it's not as good value for money (in terms of what you get for your "bucks") as the venture I didn't want to regret not having the sensors.

In terms of the 60cx, I wouldn't disagree that it is better but it costs about £50 more in the uk. The gap between the venture and the vista is about £100 which is pretty significant. To spend an extra £150 (before I've spent anything on mapping) was just a step too far.

The general advice I've had is go for the best model you can afford - for me that was the vista. Roll on Saturday when it arrives!

Happy caching. Must learn to type!

Edited by Dogs Dad