Additional license for City Navigator?

planewood

When I went to the Garmin web site to acquire an additional license for CN, it said the cost was $139. They did not say whether that was for one additional license or for two, but it implied that it was for just one.

The 1st CN DVD I bought cost that and you got license to install it on two units.

Anyone know the straight poop here?

When you purchase an additional license for their software, it is basically like buying the software again as it comes with 2 more unlocks.

Thanks! The cheapest I've found it on the web is $119. Anyone seen it cheaper than that? Of course, those dang sites not say what the shipping cost is up front.

When you purchase an additional license for their software, it is basically like buying the software again as it comes with 2 more unlocks.

Thanks! The cheapest I've found it on the web is $119. Anyone seen it cheaper than that? Of course, those dang sites not say what the shipping cost is up front.

You have some news that I have never seen!!

Only Garmin can sell you additional 'unlock codes'.

They cannot be bought on the web except from Garmin!!!

An unlock code does not have 'shipping costs' as it is not a physical item.

I have 'purchased' an unlock code for four units, but there is nothing 'physical', it is just a code/key!

I believe the OP is referring to just buying another full version of the software on disc to save the difference.

In the UK the words additional means the unlock codes for two more units on your existing software are very much cheaper than buying the 'full new DVD price'!

What is mentioned here is the puchase of completely 'new' DVD software, not 'additional' [additional is Garmin's wording]

I do not want to argue semantics. The op was asking if he used the option in Garmin's unlock page asking to "purchase an additional region", if he would have the ability to unlock 2 units to the software again. The answer to that is yes, as Garmin views it as purchasing the software again, just without a coupon certificate. The second post by the op was referring to just buying the software dvd again to get a better price than what Garmin's additional region option would cost, which is more cost effective. In both cases he will get two unlocks, while the additional region option from Garmin's website will cost more but attained quickly and easily, whereas the software dvd purchase will cost less but take more time as he will have to wait and acquire the disc first. I guess the difference is paying for convenience. :unsure:

Edited by yeeoldcacher

I believe the OP is referring to just buying another full version of the software on disc to save the difference.

In the UK the words additional means the unlock codes for two more units on your existing software are very much cheaper than buying the 'full new DVD price'!

What is mentioned here is the puchase of completely 'new' DVD software, not 'additional' [additional is Garmin's wording]

What the heck does the DVD cost in the UK?? Costs about $120-$140 here in the USA depending on where you shop. Each DVD you purchase can be used in a maximum of two GPSr's. Right now, I have 4 GPSr's and only 1 DVD.

During 2006 I obtained the 'free' update DVD of CitySelect Europe v7 to CityNavigator Europe v8.

It cost me £52/$101 to 'unlock' it for two units!

The 'additional' [Garmin's phrase] unlock codes for two more units using the same DVD cost £90/$175!!!!!

As yet CityNavigator Europe v9 [non NT] is not available to me, but you in America can buy it!!

We in the UK are not getting the Garmin advantages that you seem to get?! :(:unsure:

You can buy our software [European] before us and far cheaper!

Anyone interested in supplying UK members with the software we cannot buy and at your prices?

What the heck does the DVD cost in the UK?? Costs about $120-$140 here in the USA depending on where you shop. Each DVD you purchase can be used in a maximum of two GPSr's. Right now, I have 4 GPSr's and only 1 DVD.

How did you use one DVD on 4 gpsr's? I thought you couldn't do that. I haven't tried it, but is there a software or web based restriction that won't allow the software to load on more than 2 gpsr's or is it the honor system? If there is a restriction for 2 gpsr's, could you copy the maps to other memory cards to get around the restriction (for personal use)?

How does the CN software know how many gpsr's it is used on? For example if I purchase a used garmin 2610 and the seller loaded it onto another GPS unit without my knowledge, could I use the CN software to load onto a legend cx as well as the original 2610 for instance? Again how would the software know what unit it has been loaded onto unless there was some internet based clearinghouse of code/gpsr usage?

How did you use one DVD on 4 gpsr's? I thought you couldn't do that. I haven't tried it, but is there a software or web based restriction that won't allow the software to load on more than 2 gpsr's or is it the honor system? If there is a restriction for 2 gpsr's, could you copy the maps to other memory cards to get around the restriction (for personal use)?

How does the CN software know how many gpsr's it is used on? For example if I purchase a used garmin 2610 and the seller loaded it onto another GPS unit without my knowledge, could I use the CN software to load onto a legend cx as well as the original 2610 for instance? Again how would the software know what unit it has been loaded onto unless there was some internet based clearinghouse of code/gpsr usage?

That's why I'm wanting to obtain two more license!