College Rivalries

psyprof

Greetings, Forum readers.

On December 29th, we activated a new cache in close vicinity to the University of Tennessee Knoxville campus titled Auburn in Yo House! GC1022P (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f4667db2-9c53-47ac-9534-37da6b7e0d95). The cache is filled with Auburn stuff - face decals, stickers, key chains, etc. The instructions for this cache are to take out something Auburn and put in something Vol. After the Auburn stuff is gone, the cache will be moved to Auburn, where it will be retitled Vols in Yo House!. We already have an Auburn local who will place and tend that cache.

Reactions to this cache have been very positive. One finder posted a picture with the cache contents in background, a Vol key ring in his open hand, and the slogan, Go Vols! inked on his palm.

We posted this cache because of our divided loyalties - I have degrees from both universities and teach at UTK. I'm sure there are other such people in Geocache-land; I know a person with degrees from Bama who is teaching here, for example, and there are tons of graduate students who move to another university between degrees. This seems like it would be fun and at the same time promote our activity.

I propose that we create a new type designation for these caches - Team Rivalry caches.

So, what do you think?

Finally, a note to the forum creators. The forum search tool does not work as well as it might. When I searched "college" on the forum, I got three pages of results, mostly having nothing to do with colleges.

Hmmm...sounds like a moving cache to me. I didn't think those were allowed.

I think the search thing works fine. College is a pretty common term, and I'm sure all of the results had the word "college" in them somewhere. Maybe you should've put in to search titles only? Just a thought.

Edited by ThePropers

Perhaps the reviewer and the cache owner came to terms about this cache and it had to stay in place for at least 90 days, the cache would them be picked up, the cache page archive , moved them a new cache page would be created

Working with your local volunteer reviewer does help, one of our jobs is to help getting the cache listed within the guidelines as I did with this one.

Max Cacher

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer // Moderator

Perhaps the reviewer and the cache owner came to terms about this cache and it had to stay in place for at least 90 days, the cache would them be picked up, the cache page archive , moved them a new cache page would be created

Working with your local volunteer reviewer does help, one of our jobs is to help getting the cache listed within the guidelines as I did with this one.

Max Cacher

I should clarify that I wasn't pointing fingers or anything, I was just pointing out that I didn't realize these were allowed. I wasn't trying to start a controversy.

However....wouldn't a team rivalry cache turn geocaching into a competition? :laughing:

Hmmm...sounds like a moving cache to me. I didn't think those were allowed.

I think the search thing works fine. College is a pretty common term, and I'm sure all of the results had the word "college" in them somewhere. Maybe you should've put in to search titles only? Just a thought.

Showing results as posts sometimes works as well.

Yes, I did have that conversation with the reviewer, and did agree that this is how it would be done. This also provides an incentive to Vols to visit the cache in Auburn after Vols in Yo House! is established to try to keep it there by removing Auburn items and replacing them with Vol items. With as many Auburn items as there are in this cache, I anticipate it will stay in Knoxville for at least six months.

Max Cacher

Not a competition, really, just a fun thing. Nobody keeps score, points are not awarded nor prizes.

Max Cacher

I should clarify that I wasn't pointing fingers or anything, I was just pointing out that I didn't realize these were allowed. I wasn't trying to start a controversy.

However....wouldn't a team rivalry cache turn geocaching into a competition? :laughing:

Thanks for your reply. I like the cemetery caches. They can lead members of our community to discover people who have been important to the community and the culture.

I think there might already be to many different cache types. I just read in another thread about cemetery cache types. I think the general idea was nah on the new type.

auburn and vol are teams? :D lol i'm not into sports

[...]

We posted this cache because of our divided loyalties - I have degrees from both universities and teach at UTK. I'm sure there are other such people in Geocache-land; I know a person with degrees from Bama who is teaching here, for example, and there are tons of graduate students who move to another university between degrees. This seems like it would be fun and at the same time promote our activity.

I propose that we create a new type designation for these caches - Team Rivalry caches.

So, what do you think?

I don't think that this requires a new type of cache, but it's a very fun idea. I also have divided loyalties -- I grew up and remain a very big [ahem...] Gator fan and teach at [ahem...] FSU.

I've seen two puzzles with college rivalry themes: one was very explicitly about which university was superior (University of Florida vs. Florida State), another was full of indirect references to recent Auburn-Alabama football results (Circles of Frustration).

Have fun. Gators > Buckeyes !!!

Greetings, Forum readers.

On December 29th, we activated a new cache in close vicinity to the University of Tennessee Knoxville campus titled Auburn in Yo House! GC1022P (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f4667db2-9c53-47ac-9534-37da6b7e0d95). The cache is filled with Auburn stuff - face decals, stickers, key chains, etc. The instructions for this cache are to take out something Auburn and put in something Vol. After the Auburn stuff is gone, the cache will be moved to Auburn, where it will be retitled Vols in Yo House!. We already have an Auburn local who will place and tend that cache.

Reactions to this cache have been very positive. One finder posted a picture with the cache contents in background, a Vol key ring in his open hand, and the slogan, Go Vols! inked on his palm.

So, what do you think?

Finally, a note to the forum creators. The forum search tool does not work as well as it might. When I searched "college" on the forum, I got three pages of results, mostly having nothing to do with colleges.

Here is a college cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

P.S. Go, Cards, Go! :D

I just found the Auburn cache, I go to school here in knoxville. It was a great find. I added a orange and white shaker and took auburn stickers. There was about 50/50 AU/TN items. A great find, i would recommend other colleges or people to try this. Thanks!