Can I make a TB myself?

GPS GEB's

Hi All-

I have looked around but couldn't find the answer to my question, so I figured I would throw it out here.

I have seen lots of Geocoins and the TB that Geocaching.com puts out - but I would like to make my own TB dog tag. It would be serialized like normal, it would be simular to the metal ones now, but it would be my own design (signature). My questions are: 1). I seem to remember that in order for it to be tracked within Geocaching.com, you need to have 500 of them? 2). Can I make a dog tag rather then a Geocoin (cheaper). 3). Do I need permission from Geocaching.com on the design (to have or not have their logo)?

I have emailed them but have not heard anything back. Thanks for any help you can shed on this.

Steve

Yes you could effectively make your own travelbug. You would have to get a quote from one of the geocoin companies such as oakcoins and see if they would be able to make your design which I'm sure they would would if you were willing to buy several hundread and that way they would be trackable on the website. But what is the point, why not just buy one of the official travelbugs or have some proper geocoins made as this would be more cost effective and would probably look better.

Yes you could effectively make your own travelbug. You would have to get a quote from one of the geocoin companies such as oakcoins and see if they would be able to make your design which I'm sure they would would if you were willing to buy several hundread and that way they would be trackable on the website. But what is the point, why not just buy one of the official travelbugs or have some proper geocoins made as this would be more cost effective and would probably look better.

cant u just buy a regular tb.....then take that number for ur custom tb?

eys, ewe culd.

Hi All-

I have looked around but couldn't find the answer to my question, so I figured I would throw it out here.

I have seen lots of Geocoins and the TB that Geocaching.com puts out - but I would like to make my own TB dog tag. It would be serialized like normal, it would be simular to the metal ones now, but it would be my own design (signature). My questions are: 1). I seem to remember that in order for it to be tracked within Geocaching.com, you need to have 500 of them? 2). Can I make a dog tag rather then a Geocoin (cheaper). 3). Do I need permission from Geocaching.com on the design (to have or not have their logo)?

I have emailed them but have not heard anything back. Thanks for any help you can shed on this.

Steve

eys, ewe culd.

Ok, however, the company that I was looking at is just a place that makes laser cut dog tages in different colors and whatever design. I assume I don't have to go through a geocoin company? I have not heard a reply about do I need a certain quanity of tags so that I can have these tags tracked within Geocaching.com?

ugh i was gonna ask the same thing but heres my situation. for my tech ed class we are allowed to create dog tags for only 1.50 per tag on our laser engraver in any color well this would save me plenty but i just want codes we should be able to just purchase codes so we can make our own custom items i think a lot of people would like this i shure would

ugh i was gonna ask the same thing but heres my situation. for my tech ed class we are allowed to create dog tags for only 1.50 per tag on our laser engraver in any color well this would save me plenty but i just want codes we should be able to just purchase codes so we can make our own custom items i think a lot of people would like this i shure would

Gorsh, I don't know if I should be plugging them here. But there are alternative websites where you can buy tracking numbers really cheap, and make your own tags, as some in this thread seem to be wanting to do. Namely travelertags.com and Geotagtracker.com Of course the 2nd one is long dead, but Traveler Tags seems to be going strong. You get your first five tracking #'s for free there.

However, these alternative trackables have an extremely low rate of people who figure out how to log them (although I myself think it's quite easy). I did have a traveler tag that moved from NY to Virginia to Alaska, although it hasn't been heard from in quite some time.

Use the contact @geocaching.com to ask.

It may be you can only buy lots of 500. However I suspect you could band together with some folks to buy 100 of the 500. I am somewhat familiar with how they do it for geocoins, I am not sure if they would treat regular tracking numbers the same way.

:laughing: I was hoping NOT to buy any numbers from Geocaching.com at all, I just want to make a dog tag with a serial number on it along with a picture and whatever text. I can get them locally with 4 colors and etched for $1.05/ea. I have left a message with Ground Speak but no call back or emails. I have been in touch with the moderator of this thread and we are talking more about it, just waiting for a responce to my question. If I remember, like a Geocoin, I just need to produce 500 of them and my TB will be tracked within Geocaching.com?

I sent you an email this morning. I hope you got it. That 500 number was recently reduced to 250, but you'd still have to purchase the numbers from Groundspeak if you want them trackable on geocaching.com. Otherwise, how would you track them? I sent you the link for the geocoin guidelines, which is what you would have to follow for this endeavor. At first I thought you just wanted to make one, and didn't want to have to buy 500 numbers. I'm replying here in case anyone else wants to know.

Do the math for yourself, your tag price, plus the tracking numbers, and see what you come with. Please let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.