Would a PocketPC be good for paperless ?

drag-racer

Have an older ipag laying around gathering dust and was wondering what you all thought of using that for paperless caching? I used to use a really old Palm (IIIe maybe?) but I hated having to put new batteries in it and reloading cachmate and all the caches every time we wanted to use it. It just wasn't worth the hassle. At least the ipaq is rechargable. Anyone using one? Will it even work?

David

Edited by drag-racer

It would work great. It would be different than a Palm, but similar. Different technique. Different software. Still very much usable.

I understand about the old Palm. Those are supposed to have a capacitor to hold a charge long enough to swap out the batteries, but unfortunately are notorious for going out. Newer Palms have non-volatile memory, so they don't have that problem even if the battery goes completely dead, rechargeable or not.

It would work great. It would be different than a Palm, but similar. Different technique. Different software. Still very much usable.

I understand about the old Palm. Those are supposed to have a capacitor to hold a charge long enough to swap out the batteries, but unfortunately are notorious for going out. Newer Palms have non-volatile memory, so they don't have that problem even if the battery goes completely dead, rechargeable or not.

Newer Palms can still lose everything if the battery goes completely dead. Happily, a hotsync brings it all back.

Hp Ipaq rx3115 here using GPS Sonar. I use pocket query & dowload results to device. It works great, nearly as good as a live internet connection. You can make notes, manage TB's, etc & sync it all back up to your home software if desired. I have a SD card dedicated to Geocaching, easy to move back & forth between machines with a card reader. I also have a card dedicated to backing up the unit. Very easy to do so if my battery ever does go flat I won't lose a thing.

This unit also has Wifi & Bluetooth capabilities so if you are at a hotspot you can connect to the internet & take care of business!

Hp Ipaq rx3115 here using GPS Sonar. I use pocket query & dowload results to device. It works great, nearly as good as a live internet connection. You can make notes, manage TB's, etc & sync it all back up to your home software if desired. I have a SD card dedicated to Geocaching, easy to move back & forth between machines with a card reader. I also have a card dedicated to backing up the unit. Very easy to do so if my battery ever does go flat I won't lose a thing.

This unit also has Wifi & Bluetooth capabilities so if you are at a hotspot you can connect to the internet & take care of business!

Ditto on the above except I have the 3715 with the built in camera. Great for taking pictures needed for verification and when you are doing a bunch and forget which ones were which. I added a car/truck adapter so that I can charge while on the road. Even without it the battery will last most of the day while out caching. The GpxSonar is fantastic and in my opinion a must for any paperless application.

:laughing:

I've been using my Dell Axim since I started and have found it quite good. I use a bluetooth GPS in my pack, Mapopolis for getting there and Smache for cache/waypoint management and ground-zero navigation. Then when I'm not geocaching I use it for a hundred other things, internet, email, note-keeping, games, etc.

I've only had to run for cover from rain a couple times and now a carry a backpack with a waterproof pocket. Never had any close calls with dropping it, but I keep it in a padded leather Sena case just for caution, and this particular case isn't too cumbersome for one-handed navigation.

I'm using a Dell Axim X-5 with an Ambicom CF GPS card, and Back Country Navigator software.

The Ambicom software (came with the card) directs me verbally to the cache, and BackCountry manages my caches and has topo & aerial maps.

Like someone else said, when not caching, it sees a lot of other use. Calendar keeps me up on my schedule, I can check my e-mails, I use Project Gutenburg with the e-book reader for novels, tons of notes when something strikes my fancy, address book contacts, etc.

Only thing is, I think I've become TOO dependant on my PPC. And, where IS my regular GPS ?

I've used an Ipaq 2215 for almost three years. Paperless caching with gpxsonar, autonavigation in my auto and off-raod navigation in the woods with Mapopolis, cache icons overlaying the street maps using gpxtomaplet, 24K topo maps with National Geographic Pocket Topo. I have a Sirf Star III CF GPS that slips into the SF memory slot. I keep files in the memory card in the SD slot.

I also use it for business but that's another story.:ph34r:

I've used an Ipaq 2215 for almost three years. Paperless caching with gpxsonar, autonavigation in my auto and off-raod navigation in the woods with Mapopolis, cache icons overlaying the street maps using gpxtomaplet, 24K topo maps with National Geographic Pocket Topo. I have a Sirf Star III CF GPS that slips into the SF memory slot. I keep files in the memory card in the SD slot.

I also use it for business but that's another story.:lol:

I am using gpxsonar new est version

I am now trying to figure out what program to use to export to gsak.

When I tell it to export my field notes it sends them over in a word program.

If I tell it to send waypoints it sends a gpx file. With all the caches I loaded from the gpx file to begin with.

Maybe if anyone Knows something that might work I would appreciate it if yall would post the web site here or send me a email.

snglshot3030@yahoo.com

Thanks, Mike (Fire2Water

I don't try to transfer my notes back into GSAK so I can't really help you. I delete found caches from GSAK and stop uploading caches I've found in my PQ's to reduce the clutter.

If I haven't found the cache and I'm still interesting in going back, my cache log and notes will be uploaded in the next PQ anyway.

Why are people interested in moving notes back into GSAK? Maybe I'm missing a tool that would be handy.

Hi, first post to here! :D

Since I have not read much in the forums yet, this may be repeated info. If so sorry.

I am new to geocaching itself so bare with me. B)

I have two Palm based PDA's as well as an PPC Ipaq 2795b. I bought a Holux GPSlim 236 unit that uses bluetooth to send the GPS data to the Palm or PPC.

I did come across a really cool program for the Palm called Geoniche http://www.raydarllc.com/

This software looks very cool and useful. It has a small converter program you run that takes all the cache info and sets all the way points etc.. It also imports all the notes of the cache. I really love the zoom feature as you get closer you can zoom the display in/out, very cool. It looked so cool I bought it even before actually using it in the field :D

So far it has worked very well in testing it in the yard etc... but I have not actually went out in the field with it yet as I said B)

(If anyone has any ideas on a cool PPC program that has similar functions, please let me know.)

Anyway I just wanted to toss that info out there for the thread and then ask if anyone has any opinions on this set up versus a good hand held GPS like the Garmin 60CSX I have been looking at.

Do you think, for geocaching, a hand held unit like the Garmin would be worth it? Would it give me any better results, get me even closer etc..?

Would it offer the same functionality as the Geoniche software with notes etc..?

The Holux and Garmin both use the same chipset but the Holux does not have WAAS support. I am unsure if WAAS is useful for geocaching enough to get the handheld just because of that.

Any pros or cons?

Edited by 1_Paladin

Since you already have a setup that you can use for caching, I would use it before spending more money on a separate unit. You might not like the sport. Just be careful ion the woods that you don't damage you PPC.

WASS doesn't matter. You can find caches without it.

So can I use the same version of Cachmate that I was using with my old Palm, or is there a different version for PPC? Is there something a little more windows based(graphical) rather than the plain text based cachemate?

The PPC version of Cachemate is slightly different than the Palm version. I like some of the features, and I dislike some of them. As for interface, it is still more text oriented, than graphical. The biggest thing I see with the PPC version is that it feels much slower, but it also appears to have some more complex features...

Well my wife offered to pay half for my Christmas gift this year (a bit late) so I broke down and got the Garmin 60CSX. I REALLY wanted one anyway, it is the best handheld out at the moment IMHO. :D

I am not new to GPS, just GC. When I head out I will take that and my PDA setup and compare. I will let you know how it goes from a beginners standpoint for GC-ing.

Just FYI I did stumble across this in my searches for PPC software. Looks similar to GeoNiche.

http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/default.htm

Thanks guys.. I hope to contribute more here.

Edited by 1_Paladin

I absolutely insist on my PDA and bluetooth reciever to geocache. I too have a Dell Axim and with a Holux reciever, and they both work fabulously!

I wrote an article on the equipment and software I use to geocache back in April of 2005 on my geocaching blog. The link to it is unfortunately not direct, but you can scroll down to it: http://gc4dummies.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_archive.html

Goto the article called "The Equipment." The only thing that I've changed is my use of cachemate instead of freeware GPXSonar. Even though GPXSonar was free, cachemate was faster and easier to use, so we switched. Best of luck!