Do u need a lisence?

Ficky

In Europe he use the PMR's(Private Mobile Radio) but in US there are the FRS(Family Radio Service).

Both can be use without licence!

True, but look at the radio because some are GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) radios. GMRS bands requires an FCC operator’s license. There are quite a number of hybrid FRS/GMRS radios on the market (Garmin Rhino Series GPS for example) that you can still use the FRS features without a licence.

How difficult is it to get a Lisence for the GMRS?

The license fee is currently $75 or $80 and is good for only a period of time (5 years, I think).

According to Federal regulations a license is required for the GMRS band, but no one I know ever bothered to get one. The FCC issued a standard statement about a license required for any use anywhere, but that is legal PR CYA talk. They do not care about occasional use of GMRS radios in remote areas where any chance of interference with other users is nil. Use GMRS in a congested area for commercial purposes and you may get busted.

Available from many sources are external antennaes and power boosters for the small handheld radios. Use those and you may get busted. Or maybe not.

You can apply online with the FCC if you can make sense of their web site. :rolleyes:

I am probably the only one to pay the money to use my GMRS radios. On top of paying the money you are supposed to call out you call sign with each use.

The FCC issued a standard statement about a license required for any use anywhere, but that is legal PR CYA talk. They do not care about occasional use of GMRS radios in remote areas where any chance of interference with other users is nil.

I would highly advise against openly admitting in a public froum that you violate federal law. I live in a remote area, but still comply with all laws. My GMRS call sign is WPTZ415.

You do need a Lic to use a GMRS radio, if you get caught the fines are very high.

Being that the OP is is in Marin county Ca, (I lived ther for 50 years) FRS and GMRS radio are going to be very limited in there usefulness. Both FRS and GMRS radios are line of sight communistions, being that Marin county if very hilly these radios are ot going to work very well. while the package may say a radio has and 8 mile range, in Marin this will not happen, unless the radio is used from the top of a very high hill Mt. Top (In Marin Mt. Tamalpias)

There are GMRS repeaters that will give better coverage, but the radios sold in REI and other stores are not set up for repeater use.

The best option would be to get a Ham radio Lic., these are aboue $12.00 for 10 years, there is a simple test required, both of the Ham Radio clubs in Marin offer classes and do testing. A basic two meter ham radio would ba about $125.00. Both clubs also opertae a network of Ham Radio repeaters in the area.

The FCC issued a standard statement about a license required for any use anywhere, but that is legal PR CYA talk. They do not care about occasional use of GMRS radios in remote areas where any chance of interference with other users is nil.

I would highly advise against openly admitting in a public froum that you violate federal law. I live in a remote area, but still comply with all laws. My GMRS call sign is WPTZ415.

Well, he doesn't have to worry about it. His avatar says he's From: Somewhere in NE CA

Where's Somewhere? :ph34r:

You can apply online with the FCC if you can make sense of their web site. :ph34r:

I am probably the only one to pay the money to use my GMRS radios. On top of paying the money you are supposed to call out you call sign with each use.

I must be the other idiot B) I haven't checked sinjce getting my license, but I believe my call sign is D-O-P-E.

The license fee is currently $75 or $80 and is good for only a period of time (5 years, I think).

According to Federal regulations a license is required for the GMRS band, but no one I know ever bothered to get one. The FCC issued a standard statement about a license required for any use anywhere, but that is legal PR CYA talk. They do not care about occasional use of GMRS radios in remote areas where any chance of interference with other users is nil. Use GMRS in a congested area for commercial purposes and you may get busted.

Available from many sources are external antennaes and power boosters for the small handheld radios. Use those and you may get busted. Or maybe not.

It's always a good idea to get licensed. If you are only going to drive a car on rural roads "where any chance of interference with other users is nil" would you forgo getting a driver's license? Didn't think so. Get the license. It's good for yourself and your immediate family members, for 5 years, at about $15 per year. You can use the higher-power GMRS frequencies without reproach or guilt. If you want better coverage and distance, go with an Amateur Radio (ham) license. Cheaper for the license, and lasts longer, but you do need to take a (simple) written test to show you know what you're doing.

btw, I have both an Amateur license (KB3JRJ) and a GMRS license (WPXG488).

-KB3JRJ