Recent Thefts.. why?

triryche

I have noticed that there have been quite a few thefts of caches over the past months including one of my own. :laughing: WHAT is the sensation that one can possibly achieve by doing this? I had a basic ammo box with little value at all of items inside stolen and 2 travel bugs lost. This cache was in such a remote area of the Wisconsin northwoods national forests and was not easily if at all seen unless you were really digging. Either someone watched other cachers there or someone is going onto Geocaching.com and getting coordinates to steal them. This is crazy. There's about a half dozen out of 30 I have planned for seeking for the winter months that have been stolen. What's wrong with people? get a life..

I would think if the US Forest Service confiscated it, they would contact me right? All the official geocache emblems and contact info were inside. Not sure why they would take it anyway. They gave full permission for me to do this 3 years ago and I don't think they changed their stance since? :laughing:

I'd try to contact the person you originally contacted to gain permission for those caches first. Maybe they set a time limit? I know some places in PA give permission for caches on a yearly basis, and you almost have to re-get-permisson.

I don't know anything about Wisconsin, do they allow hunting in those areas? Maybe a hunter set up a stand in that area and noticed people scaring away their game.

I dont' think it would be a regular everyday run of the mill muggle taking them. If they are that deep in the woods, the muggle is probably into hiking or camping pretty good. I don't think anybody that into hiking would take them after reading the information inside.

:laughing: maybe another cacher you offended? :laughing:

You have to look at all the possibilities.

Hope whatever happens works out for you!

One of the nice things about geocaching is that it depends on the good will and decency of others. One of the bad things about geocaching is that it depends on the good will and decency of others.

Fortunately it seems that most people are decent people, however there are some miscreants amog us and if they decided to buy a GPS and steal caches there isn't much we can do about it.

One thing we can do is avoid posting threads like this one, or post logs on the caches blasting the cache thief, or even mentioning the theft. The thieves do this for attention and if nobody notices, the thieves usually get bored and give up after a few months.