plz help clean

tumnus777

plz help me clean up out cache sites!!!make a large supply of film canesters and put plastic trash bags in them.then label them with you name and city.after that put them into almost every cache you visit.reply with a yes or no and what city you live in if you will do this. :laughing:

Edited by tumnus777

I have been working on doing just that, slow but sure. We are putting together our own cache to hide and I wanted some CITO bags in it. I always carry bags with me and have always carried out when there is trash to carry out. So around NE Iowa as we go geocaching we will be putting at least one to two film canesters with a bag in them in the caches we visit from here on out. I just lable them CITO Bag. That is what I have seen in other caches.

I am an avid coon hunter, and a new geocacher. Last week while I was out in the woods hunting, my dog sustained a fairly serious cut to her leg. I went back the next day, and found all sorts of broken glass. It looked like somebody had been shooting the stuff. I carried out what I could.

That day, I added a small canvas sack and some garbage bags to my hunting kit. From now on when I see junk laying around, I fully intend to clean it up. It breaks my heart a little bit everytime I see a bunch of junk laying around in a pristine wilderness area.

A folk singer friend of mine even wrote a sone about it called, "Who dropped this."

plz help me clean up out cache sites!!!make a large supply of film canesters and put plastic trash bags in them.

I have several made up that I keep on hand for putting in caches etc. The 'problem' I run into sometimes is that that I'll put some in my pockets or cache bag and then end up doing a bunch of micros and minis that couldn't hold any CITO tubes. So I take them out and leave them in the car and forget to put them back in later, and do when I do get to a regular cache don't have them with me :blink: Guess I need to plan better.

Oh, and another way to get CITO tubes out there is make up a bunch and take a bag/bin of them to an event and leave put it out at the 'check in' area :blink: Since lots of people will go do some caching during/after the event its a good time to pass them out.

Why not just fold and roll the trash bag, then put a twist tie around it.

That can work too, its just that if the band comes off the roll it can let the thing unravel in your pocket or backpack. Plus putting a label on a the bag itself could be somewhat difficult. Putting it a film can keeps it from unrolling, and allows an easy place to put a label :blink: .

I have done that in the past and will continue when I can obtain film containers but they are getting harder to find as people switch to digital. southeast Pa.

Go to your local Costco, BJ's or other warehouse type store and ask at the film department for film cannisters. You might end up with more than you need!

Why not just fold and roll the trash bag, then put a twist tie around it.

That can work too, its just that if the band comes off the roll it can let the thing unravel in your pocket or backpack. Plus putting a label on a the bag itself could be somewhat difficult. Putting it a film can keeps it from unrolling, and allows an easy place to put a label :blink: .

Good point. If I can't locate film containers, I'll print some labels, wrap around the trash bags, then use the twisty to secure. Maybe a bit of tape over for make-sure

I have used empty washed out medicine bottles for this.As well as recycleing them some are larger than the film containers and are easier to put the bags in.
Great idea, halffast.

Those medicine bottles (the ones without a "shoulder") are often not recyclable at the curbside anyway (at least not where I live), so this is a great way to re-use them.

Edited by MissJenn