Calling All UK Scouts & Guides

This one was a good climb. The Engagement Cache ;)

:grin: Love the car arrow! Its been a while since I've done a distant cache like that. At least here we don't get snakes and scorpions lurking in the bushes :D

We first did another cache that was near the car, then walked along the dry riverbed (running to left in photo) across the road and up the hill. Lovely views. ;) Expect the rattlesnakes and scorpions to be out soon! :D

I guess this is getting a bit of topic now... :D

Our scouts/cubs leaders reminded everyone again tonight about the need to raise money to modernise our hut. Myself and other parents suggested a sponsored caching event, they said no as they have done rummage sales for the last 30 years and that is what they will continue to do!! B)

Aaaaaaaargh! grrrrrrr B)

Our scouts/cubs leaders reminded everyone again tonight about the need to raise money to modernise our hut. Myself and other parents suggested a sponsored caching event, they said no as they have done rummage sales for the last 30 years and that is what they will continue to do!! :o

Aaaaaaaargh! grrrrrrr :)

Tell your tale to Leicestershire County Scout Office Their Website

Hi Scout Leader and general dogsbody and cub leader here, we are interested in joining your list! We are in West Leeds

Welcome Boarder_Patrol.

This isn't so much a list really, more just a thread of how the get Scouting and caching together. as you can see, it's a developing story, especially in Leicestershire!

I see you are well into double figures for caches, so you're definitely hooked.

;)B)B):DB)B):DB):D:D:D

Hooray! The Scout Association has finally managed to publish the Factsheet for GPS Navigation/Geocaching. It can be found HERE.

Its pretty near to what I wrote for them, but I hadn't realised how long ago I started on it; near the end I quoted the number of caches in the world as of Oct 2006!!! A mere 324,000

I hope this is a useful resource for all Scouters (and guiders) out there.

:D:D:D:D:D

:D;)B):DB)B):D:DB)B):D

Hooray! The Scout Association has finally managed to publish the Factsheet for GPS Navigation/Geocaching. It can be found HERE.

Its pretty near to what I wrote for them, but I hadn't realised how long ago I started on it; near the end I quoted the number of caches in the world as of Oct 2006!!! A mere 324,000

Thats really good, except for advocating Nanocaches in a rural environment :D

B)B):DB)B):D:D:D:D:D:D

:D:D:DB):D

Thats really good, except for advocating Nanocaches in a rural environment :D

Opps!!! ;)

Well thats the first comment for version 2!. The beauty of the way the factsheets are now done is that it can be easily changed. After I put the draft in it went through several people, including geocachers, for their comments and opinions. It's been edited a little bit, but I'll put my hands up and say that is probably a cut n'paste error of mine, but was never spotted!

If anyone else spots any errors, feel free to post here and I'll pass them all back to Gilwell Park.

:drama: Yeay!

Thank you for your work in getting it on the main site.

May I suggest all the Scouting leaders on here consider suggesting to the HQ for either Groundspeak to sponsor the Hikes Away badges just as Ordnance Survey already sponsor one of the activity badges or better still in this day of GPS use increase (how many scouts will have one in their parent's car?) perhaps a new badge to be introduced along the lines of navigating with both GPS with basic compass training?

Just my penny's worth *plink*

:D Yeay!

Thank you for your work in getting it on the main site.

May I suggest all the Scouting leaders on here consider suggesting to the HQ for either Groundspeak to sponsor the Hikes Away badges just as Ordnance Survey already sponsor one of the activity badges or better still in this day of GPS use increase (how many scouts will have one in their parent's car?) perhaps a new badge to be introduced along the lines of navigating with both GPS with basic compass training?

Just my penny's worth *plink*

Obviously you have missed the navigator badge. :drama: but getting Groundspeak or someone like garmin to sponser that badge would be good. :D

I understand that contact may have been made for some sponsorship of some sort, but of course it would all be kept quiet until confirmed.

I have just been informed that the new factsheet will be officially notified to Scouts by mention in the June/July Scout Supplement of Scouting magazine.

Just to reiterate, if anyone has any comments or spots errors in the factsheet, please post them here and I will ensure they get to the right person. :P

Hi Scouters (and Guiders etc :D )

From one of the other threads on the forum I noticed some clever Scouting Themed Caches in De Netherlands, take a look at the series 'Back to Basics' by geobswescout. Brilliant stuff, in fact the BSWE in his name is the one that Scouters should know. How about someone following it up in UK with something similar ( I would have done, but I'm a bit far away)... :D

Our scout group is off to the international campsite at Baarn in Holland this summer and we are aiming to try and do a few local caches, unfortuantely geobswescout's caches are a bit far from us, but the idea is good. When less busy will have to see if we can sort something similar out over here ideally if we can start near a Scout/Guide camp site.

Good factsheet!!

I am Scout Leader of the 8th Burgess Hill Scout Troop, along with Tootsies Trackers. We promote geocaching with the scouts and a number of them have done some of our local caches and we did have a TB that got washed away in Florida Floods!

Anyway, I did notice a typo on page 4 of the scouting factsheet where it gives a list of functions that a GPSr might want to have, it states WASS instead of WAAS

Cheers

Mark

Hi, do any of you use the geocaching website with Scouts and if so, do you allow them access to a group login? Just wondering how to get ours to log finds.

I'm just starting all this with my scout (tonight, in fact) and although there will be a group log in I won't be giving them the password. Initially at least. Once I know they have respect for the game I might trust them. The email address linked to the account will be firmly under my control.

Hi, do any of you use the geocaching website with Scouts and if so, do you allow them access to a group login? Just wondering how to get ours to log finds.

I'm just starting all this with my scout (tonight, in fact) and although there will be a group log in I won't be giving them the password. Initially at least. Once I know they have respect for the game I might trust them. The email address linked to the account will be firmly under my control.

That's a very sensible attitude to take. The factsheet as published on Scoutbase was written with the emphasis on GPS rather than geocaching, because that was the only way to get it published. Those responsible for 'Activities' weren't interested as they believed that there was sufficient information on the web and just wished to provide a few links from Scoutbase. However, the Scout section were more receptive, but that meant it had to be a Scout Skill factsheet, not an activity one.

The original version of the factsheet that I prepared (which is still available on the Grantham Scouts website )included the following information:

It is possible to register with the site under a generic name, i.e. ‘Anytown Scouts’, rather than an individual Leader’s name. However, access to the account password must be restricted to a limited number of responsible individuals who can ensure that log entries are appropriate.

I'm an Assistant Scout Leader at 3rd Hampton Hill. Trying to figure out which is the best new GPS to buy which will load detailed OS maps for hiking as well as Geocaching. Any recommendations?

Mark

Hi Mark

you might want to try looking through some of the many posts about buying a new GPS, or post a new question yourself. I don't think many will see you question buried in this thread.

Loading OS maps can get expensive and viewing them on a small screen is not great. Many hikers still prefer using a real map for these reasons.

Edited by careygang

I'm an Assistant Scout Leader at 3rd Hampton Hill. Trying to figure out which is the best new GPS to buy which will load detailed OS maps for hiking as well as Geocaching. Any recommendations?

Mark

Hi Mark

you might want to try looking through some of the many posts about buying a new GPS, or post a new question yourself. I don't think many will see you question buried in this thread.

Loading OS maps can get expensive and viewing them on a small screen is not great. Many hikers still prefer using a real map for these reasons.

I use a MIo 550 for the mapping and it does have built in GPS, which gets me to the area. Then I home in with a Garmin Etrex. This works for me.

Re the suggested get together, we have been allocated an area at the Mega Event to meet up in. Hope to see you there.... Cheers MaxKim.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hi Berni,

Congratulations on getting the factsheet printed - the door is now firmly wedged open. All we need now is sufficient Scouters, Guiders & Leaders to keep "bothering" their counties, Gilwell, etc. and we might actually get a "Geocaching badge".

The original intention of this thread when I started it soooo long ago was to try and build up a contact network so that we could meet up at Scouting events or provide "Geocaching activities" at Jambos & Moots.

Unfortunately forums don't work that way as they are unstructured and can change focus from one page to the next.

However if anyone wants to be on a "Scouting Geocachers" database, I'm in the process of building one based on e-mail & telephone contact info.

If you want to be "on" the database - and therefore receive a copy of the database (plus an update once or twice a year) please let me have the following information -

Name -

Geocaching Name -

Scout or Guiding position -

Scout or Guiding Group -

Scout or Guiding County/Country -

E-mail address

Contact telephone number - (Home or Mobile)

Send the info to les@ecg.uk.com - you have my word as a Scout it will only be circulated to other members of the database.

Happy Caching!

Sinclair of Rosslyn [:)][8D][^]

Les Sinclair

Scout Commonwealth Youth Exchange Programme (SCYEP) Coordinator

Gilwell Park

Mob - 07710 400140

les@ecg.uk.com

Now I dont want to upset any Mods or Mod should that be, or anyone else but is it ok to advertise caches that the Scouts have placed themselves ie: as a group activity, on the forum or would it be better if a seperate database was knocked (or whatever the technical term is) up?

I am not talking about caches that can only be used by Scouts, just ones that Scouts have set.

Only reason I would like to see this is I am a nosey sod and was wondering how many caches have been set by Scout Groups.

We have set 4 if anyone is interested apart from me that is.

Now I dont want to upset any Mods or Mod should that be, or anyone else but is it ok to advertise caches that the Scouts have placed themselves ie: as a group activity, on the forum or would it be better if a seperate database was knocked (or whatever the technical term is) up?

I am not talking about caches that can only be used by Scouts, just ones that Scouts have set.

Only reason I would like to see this is I am a nosey sod and was wondering how many caches have been set by Scout Groups.

We have set 4 if anyone is interested apart from me that is.

I'd be interested to see one, whether it was at gc.com, or elsewhere!!

The original intention of this thread when I started it soooo long ago was to try and build up a contact network so that we could meet up at Scouting events or provide "Geocaching activities" at Jambos & Moots.

Unfortunately forums don't work that way as they are unstructured and can change focus from one page to the next.

However if anyone wants to be on a "Scouting Geocachers" database, I'm in the process of building one based on e-mail & telephone contact info.

If you want to be "on" the database - and therefore receive a copy of the database (plus an update once or twice a year) please let me have the following information -

Name -

Geocaching Name -

Scout or Guiding position -

Scout or Guiding Group -

Scout or Guiding County/Country -

E-mail address

Contact telephone number - (Home or Mobile)

Send the info to les@ecg.uk.com - you have my word as a Scout it will only be circulated to other members of the database.

Happy Caching!

Sinclair of Rosslyn [:)][8D][^]

Les Sinclair

Scout Commonwealth Youth Exchange Programme (SCYEP) Coordinator

Gilwell Park

Mob - 07710 400140

les@ecg.uk.com

Wow that was quick! We have the start of the database already!

If you want to be on it (& receive it) follow the instructions above.

Quick update - my son's troop are *finally* waking up to the concept of Geocaching and will be taking the boys out for a treasure hunt next month in the local area. It took a copy of your factsheet to do it. But they are still treating it like a suspicious yokel scared of modern technology.

Hi All

Been very busy this past few months and then when I got back I got so engrossed in all the other forum traffic about our UK reviewer/mod problems that I missed how this had moved on.

Glad Alice's Troop are getting out caching. How successful was it?

Looks like the Rural/Nano typo is the only mistake people can find in the factsheet. B)

:laughing:B)B)B)