Calling All UK Scouts & Guides

Hi all

I've just found this thread...

I'm very interested in holding an event for the scouts using geocaching.

We're off to the World Jamboree and we are going to have some geocoins made up as gifts to spread accros the world..

Essex Scouts Geocoin

Paul

ACC Scouts Essex

Paul

On the topic of holding an event, I can tell you that the Scouts Navigator Badge Option D has been re-written, as I told HQ that some of it did not actually make sense from a cachers point of view. :) I met with National Advisor for Scouts last week and the new requirements will be published later this year.

To support these changes, I am helping out with writing a 'how to' factsheet for GPS Navigation and Geocaching. So give it a few months and there should be some resources available for you. If you contact me via this 'granthamscouts' profile, I can possible put you in touch with someone from Canada who has enquired about the Jamboree and Caching. :cry:

Berni

Careygang aka granthamscouts.

I am involved with the 1st Mersham Guides (just outside of Ashford, Kent) and am in the process of applying to become a leader. As an avid cacher, I've always thought caching would be a good thing for the guides to get involved in when undertaking their outdoor challenge activities, as they could incorporate things such as a litter-pick (CITO!) when doing so.

I would be interested in getting involed with anything to do with 'geo-guiding'! B)

Thanks - LucyLocket10 B)

OK then,

It is Northumberlands 100th Birthday next year, lots of folk wanted a event for this year but it seems no one was willing to take up the challenge.

So would folk be interested in a bash in Northumberland next year?

If yes can you please add names after this message.

Please indicate if you are a Scouter/Guider/Normal

I understand the rules of Groundspeak say it has to be open to all and not just some of the forums members. This I see as no problem at all only a challenge to be thought through.

If enough folk (non- Scouters/Guiders included) want this then I will put my hand into the fire or whatever and say I will be part of the organising team, anyone else?

Lets see where we go with this over the next few weeks and then decide if its a yes or a no.

By the way if you look at a Northumberland map for caches we have vast areas still untouched and should be able to get enough challenges in that are suitable for all levels (no drive bys though).

I understand the rules of Groundspeak say it has to be open to all and not just some of the forums members. This I see as no problem at all only a challenge to be thought through.

If enough folk (non- Scouters/Guiders included) want this then I will put my hand into the fire or whatever and say I will be part of the organising team, anyone else?

Lets see where we go with this over the next few weeks and then decide if its a yes or a no.

Hi wolfshead

see page 2 of this link for an idea of how to set up a child protection friendly event for scouting. Grantham Scouts geocaching factsheet Such advice is likely to be in the Scout Assn official factsheet when it is eventually published.

careygang aka 'granthamscouts'

Hi just a thought on this one...... I intend taking the troop to the Mega event next year. We will butt it onto the end of our summer camp all being well. I believe it will be an opportunity to sell scouting, it would also be an ideal time to arrange a national scout get together without it being a seperate event with all the probs that would cause.... :mmraspberry::mmraspberry::( The suggested dates are 21st June or 2nd August at the moment. Comments and will attend logs are requested. Further details are here "http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...9304&st=250" or the cache its self "http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...dc-0c7a74a71b13" (GC17W59)

At the moment we are teaching our local scout group map skills and including GPS navigation, we have had a few practice sessions around the town and are planning to do an actual cache when we go back after the break. Eventually the idea is for the Scouts to place their own cache and maintain it. Our Explorer section is planning to do a few of the harder ones in our area as challenges, they fancy trying one that can only be reached by canoe - could be a good laugh! Unfortunately we are planning to take them to Holland for Summer Camp next year so the Mega Event in August would be out for them - otherwise we could have added approximately 35 to the numbers. :back:

Our Scout group has their own caching log on LSSG and some of the cubs have already done 2 caches. They really enjoy using the GPS even if they don't have a tendancy to look where they are going!

Hi All,

When I started this thread nearly a year ago, my initial thoughts were that if we could form the core of a group we could possibly have a "meet" or get together at the WSJ at Hylands Park. Initially only a few replies came in and, mainly because of physical mileage, it was impractical to get together.

Since then many of us have been busy (WSJ, Summer Camps, etc.), but now a year later there seems to be a renewed interest in getting together and a lot more names on the thread.

From experience, if this group is going to "gel", it needs one or two individuals to coordinate the communication at the early stages, ideally to set up some form of contact database and to ensure that all those that are interested (or might be interested) are kept informed and have a chance to share their opinions.

This is the sort of thing that I would normally volunteer to do, however with International Scouting and other committments, I'd be much happier for someone else to take the role. :back:

Readers of this thread and other Scouting/Guiding Geocachers that are interested have a choice - the thread can remain a forum for discussion and friendly chat or it can be the catalyst for a more coordinated group that can get together occaissionally and "do things" - camps, event caches, Scouting Geocoins, etc.

I think the idea of an event next year is great and will do my best to attend.

Please post some replies and let me know what you think. Some may be happy with the thread remaining just an informal forum - I personally think that Scouting and Caching combined presents us with an amazing opportunity to do something really special that will have positive benefits to both activities.

Let your imagination go wild and just think what we could do if we got ourselves organised?

I hope you all have had a great Christmas and have a very happy and peaceful New Year!

Happy Caching (& Scouting) :back::mad::(

Sinclair of Rosslyn

Les Sinclair

International Team

Gilwell

A quick question for Scouting leaders...my son has joined our local Cub troop and the leaders have never heard of Geocaching or know what it involves. I have explained but they seem to think its an adult only sport! Do any of you have a 'Scouting guide to Geocaching' of some description you could email to me as I think as a whole unit they are missing out on some great activities!

Any help and advice appreciated off-board :laughing:

Edited to add that the Grantham Scouting guide to Geocaching doesnt work :antenna:

Edited by Alice Band
The Navigator Badge has a whole section on Geocaching - I think off the top of my head it's section D.

Aaah yes, I discussed this badge as an example and I think the leaders are purists as they prefer the use of maps. Here is the part that applies:

5. Help plan, or take part in, a treasure hunt using clues, directions and signs to reach a secret destination.

Perhaps it might be pertinent to ask Scouting HQ to add Geocaching and GPS to the badges in the future?

First off I think its great idea to formalise the idea of a Scouting Caching Group, I will certainly be trying for the UK Mega event, depending on final date and what camps are planned etc.

Who Knows in future maybe a Scouting Competion will be possible. I for one would certainly go for a formal Grouping.

As for the Group not using Geocaching towards the badge, well as far as I am aware badge requirements are not a written law more a idea as to what should be done, the section that is quoted is open to interpretation as a cacher I would look at it and see a obvious connection with GPS/Caching use where others would see it as a tracking excersize others would see it as a pure map reading task. So maybe what you need to do is see how you can get them to change.

Change in Scouting is lead by the Scouts not the Leaders, maybe what you need to do is talk with the Leaders and suggest you run a mini-cache night for them. Beg/borrow etc a couple of GPSs and set up a mini course that is for 1 night only. Run a 15/20 minute training session before hand then let the Cubs go and collect some treasure (Sweets or tokens that can be swopped for Sweets). If the Scouts like it then believe me the Leaders will adopt it.

As for the leaders being purists, well in their defence GPS are good but knowing how to use a map correctly will save your life and its a skill that will stay with the Scouts for life a GPS is just an aide (IMO)

Let me know how you get on and if a Scouting Group gets set up thats when the use of GPSs in Scouting will start to take off.

We started off with the basic map reading skills and then when they got a bit "bored" of the traditional method we went onto GPS used in conjunction with their map reading skills. As we use the basic E-trex they still need to read a map to find the footpaths etc, it has given them an incentive to improve their map skills! We have also placed out dummy caches with treats in them and they loved it. Gps and map reading work well together and how many Scout Leaders have car navigation systems rather than a road map?

Good luck

I've come up with a solution using the new 'Hikes Away' badge just brought in. I have offered to take the entire troop for a hike over our local wild park, and on the way I shall be teaching them how to navigate with GPS as well as the more traditional OS map and compass. And there are caches hidden there too. The leaders quite like the idea too so lets see how it goes. Actually reading up on the badge it definitely has more scope for Geocaching use than the Navigator alone, and it applies to all Scout age groups :ph34r:

Can someone email me a copy of the Grantham Scouts geocaching guide? Ta ;)

Just thought I'd say hi from Twyning, north of Tewkesbury Glos. Our troop has put out three caches so far in the GL20 6DE area, and they are all fairly keen. We tend to use GPS as part of navigation, or as a stand-alone activity. For instance, we marked three separate spots in the village, and the idea was that each patrol went to one spot where they would find all the gear to make a fire and cook sausage butties. Sadly, the recent rain meant they would be digging a puddle, so that's delayed until the weather dries up.

YIS,

Martin

Hi All

Just to let you know that the long awaited 'official' Scout Skills GPS Navigation Factsheet is imminent from Gilwell Park. I say imminent as it was supposed to have been straight after the New Year, but has yet to appear. I have emailed the person responsible for the publishing but not yet had a reply. In the meantime, the factsheet I did for Grantham Scouts is available again (they had a website crash) here

The latest version of Navigator Badge Option D is now on Scoutbase and makes a whole lot more sense that the previous version did.

The Navigator Badge has a whole section on Geocaching - I think off the top of my head it's section D.

Aaah yes, I discussed this badge as an example and I think the leaders are purists as they prefer the use of maps. Here is the part that applies:

5. Help plan, or take part in, a treasure hunt using clues, directions and signs to reach a secret destination.

Perhaps it might be pertinent to ask Scouting HQ to add Geocaching and GPS to the badges in the future?

Bit of confusion here between the Cub Navigator Badge here and the Scout Navigator badge Alternative D.

GPS navigation is deemed a Scout section activity. That's not to say that Cubs or even Beavers can't try out geocaching, but as has been discussed before in these forums, there is a whole world of difference between a child of 8-10 yrs out caching with their family and the same child out with their cub pack.

The factsheet I did for Grantham does touch on this differing approach for the different age ranges and the new official factsheet will also cover it (I hope - the original draft did).

I'm told there will be some more info issued from the Scout Association in April.

Edited by careygang
Bit of confusion here between the Cub Navigator Badge here and the Scout Navigator badge Alternative D.

GPS navigation is deemed a Scout section activity. That's not to say that Cubs or even Beavers can't try out geocaching, but as has been discussed before in these forums, there is a whole world of difference between a child of 8-10 yrs out caching with their family and the same child out with their cub pack.

The factsheet I did for Grantham does touch on this differing approach for the different age ranges and the new official factsheet will also cover it (I hope - the original draft did).

I'm told there will be some more info issued from the Scout Association in April.

Thank you Careygang for your link and for your hard work with Scoutbase. I would love to see Groundspeak sponsor the Navigator badge one day, or perhaps the Hikes Away badge just like Ordnance Survey and English Heritage sponsor some of the others.

My son's Akela seems reluctant to do anything out of the ordinary and I have hit a brick wall. It has nothing to do with security as we (parents who have offered help) have all been CRB checked. She's just not keen on trying something new! I have to say this is really disappointing, especially as I have a very keen son who really wants to show the rest how to use a handheld GPS :D

I will print off a copy of your factsheet and pass it on to her in the hope it will change her mind :D

:D Sorry to hear your hitting a brick wall or a Akela who won't change (same thing realy). You could always get your son to approach her and tell her he wants to do the Hobby badge (he can have more than one of these badges at a time) and that his Hobby is Geocaching, she should then let him show the pack how he uses a GPS and this may stimulate the rest of the pack into asking her if they can have a go at this.

Failing that I cant see what you can do except keep bugging her, it is her duty to make things exciting and challenging for the Cubs and trying new stuff is part of this. Most Scout Leaders will welcome new stuff to try and perk up a programme but others feel safe in old familar stuff that they know about, thats life in Scouting I guess.

J

Thank you Careygang for your link and for your hard work with Scoutbase. I would love to see Groundspeak sponsor the Navigator badge one day, or perhaps the Hikes Away badge just like Ordnance Survey and English Heritage sponsor some of the others.

My son's Akela seems reluctant to do anything out of the ordinary and I have hit a brick wall. It has nothing to do with security as we (parents who have offered help) have all been CRB checked. She's just not keen on trying something new! I have to say this is really disappointing, especially as I have a very keen son who really wants to show the rest how to use a handheld GPS :D

I will print off a copy of your factsheet and pass it on to her in the hope it will change her mind :D

I having been in you situationn with a similar problem of a boring Akela, i have found that if you find your ADC cubs (assistant district commisioner for cubs) and run what effectivly ammounts to a district event for cubs (for example a geocacing night in a meeting place) (running a district event may sound daungting but you can limit numbers) then your Akela cannot stop the cubs from going and trying the sport. and when they want to do it again she will be begging you to run an evening for the group.

hope it works

Labtech28

I know it is difficult not wanting to upset Akela, she's probably been doing it years and deserves a lot of praise for her dedication, but the brick wall sometimes needs to be bypassed. If the Group is successful, then the name of the Group Scout Leader (GSL) should be readily available. They are the 'manager' of the group and should be your next point of call. Of course, they may not have a GSL if they are struggling for Adults.

One other way to pull Akela along into the 21st Century would be to contact the Scout leader and offer to help with GPS/Geocaching at scouts, then go back to Akela about doing a simpler version with the Cubs. If there is no Scout section with the group, then that's obviously a problem.

if you want some more help, PM me with some more background.

Assistant Unit Guider - 23rd Hudderfield Guides here

Newbie Geocacher who is going looking for first cache this afternoon, got a box of goodies and a map, and a Garmin GPS 60 of course.

(PS all guiding groups are now called units though brownies are often still refered to as packs. So just rainbow/brownie/guide/senior section unit now.

Assistant Unit Guider - 23rd Hudderfield Guides here

Newbie Geocacher who is going looking for first cache this afternoon, got a box of goodies and a map, and a Garmin GPS 60 of course.

(PS all guiding groups are now called units though brownies are often still refered to as packs. So just rainbow/brownie/guide/senior section unit now.

I'm impressed - A Guider who can venture out caching and get to pick up a TB first time out (OK so I'm nosey - I looked at which cache you did). Welcome :) to this addictive pastime.

Not exactly rocket science (though I have a friend who can do that) as it was shown as in residence on the cache page.

Our unit is lead by 4 relatively young leaders so we don't have the so called "blue knicker" problem. I am the eldest at 26 though the least experienced.

off topic careygang, though I have never been to LV my dad lives just outside Palm springs (Joshua tree). When I go to visit I am thinking of flying into LV intead of LAX as I don't fancy my first experience of driving on the wrong side of the road to be LA rush hour traffic. It may be further but doesn't elicit the same pant wetting ideas.

Now to go wildly off topic. (does this thread have a topic?) I was wondering about the oppinion of scouting going co-ed in the geocaching world good or bad move?

I can't see the co-ed question is in any way related to geocaching and the then Venture Section went mixed back in the 1970s..so it's hardly a new concept either.. but as you asked - I think it's a great idea - especially in Rural communities.

I was refering more to the opening up of all sections from beavers to network since 01/01/07 and if i was realy pushed I could link it to geocaching like "does anyone think Scouting now being co-ed has effected any of the activitys scouts are able to do such as climbing, geocaching ect.?" but of course it hasnt and it would be a silly question to ask. I just wanted to gauge the oppinion of the geocachers on the subject.

Now to go wildly off topic. (does this thread have a topic?) I was wondering about the oppinion of scouting going co-ed in the geocaching world good or bad move?

So let's try to steer this back onto topic... and talk of Co-Ed Scouting and it's influence on such activities as geocaching.

Well, now that 'craftypants' brought it up, I can't be accused of degrading the 'blue knickers' brigade, so I think it was an excellent idea.

But apart from that, I think the question should be left there for fear of flaming.

Not exactly rocket science (though I have a friend who can do that) as it was shown as in residence on the cache page.

Our unit is lead by 4 relatively young leaders so we don't have the so called "blue knicker" problem. I am the eldest at 26 though the least experienced.

off topic careygang, though I have never been to LV my dad lives just outside Palm springs (Joshua tree). When I go to visit I am thinking of flying into LV intead of LAX as I don't fancy my first experience of driving on the wrong side of the road to be LA rush hour traffic. It may be further but doesn't elicit the same pant wetting ideas.

Ah, yes, but you actually collected it properly on the TB page, which is not always the case with newbies.

As to your travel arrangements, well that's an interesting idea, but a bit of a long drive along quiet mountain back roads, unless you go into LA and back out again. LAS does make it easy to get onto the I15, but Flights to LAS can be a bit more expensive than going al the way to the coast.

Now we're really off topic!! sorry Mods. :D

well, the thing i have found with co-ed scouting is, we like im sure most groups save more of the most adventrous activitys to do on camp and having a co-ed scout camp means a seperate tents for boys and girls so they cant sleep in patrols (if they are in patrols constantly they bild team spirit which i think is important to competion). this leads to a lack of competition in activitys that could include geocaching.

Sorry what is the relevance of co-ed Scouting in any activity?

Our Group has allways been Co-ed even before HQ hit on the idea and all activities are still carried out regardless of gender. Same as real life you know.

Your Group would have only 'always been co-ed' if it is a fairly new group. The timeline was that in 1967, the 'Boy' was dropped from The Scout Association, and Venture Scouts replaced the previous Senior and Rover sections. Venture Scouting was always mixed for the over 16s.

In 1990, the decision was made to open all Sections to mixed membership, but those who wished to retain 'Grandfather Rights' to being Boys only, could do so. However, since the late 1990s, any newly formed Section or Group had to abide by the mixed membership rule. Since 1st Jan 2007, all the 'Grandfather Rights' have been removed and Scouting is entirely Co-Ed.

So your Group was not co-ed 'before HQ hit on the idea'.

Note for Labtech28, you could always try having single gender patrols, now that really would be competition. Nothing says you have to have mixed patrols. :D

not far from the truth in my troop. looking at some of the contraptions that the scouts came up with last week. i would much rather walk over a bridge made by the girls. mainly as they got the idea that you couldnt just stick a pole over the "shark infested custard" or "deep ravine" and just cross, as that is cheating.

Well, I'm a former Guide, and Scouter... I used to be ABSL and later ASL at a troop in Shipley, but moved away and haven't been able to reconnect yet *sigh*... I got in touch with the right people, who sent me off to a Beaver Colony when- due to the fact I now spend my life working with little kids- I actually want to be back with a Scout Troop! :)

Clare :laughing:

not far from the truth in my troop. looking at some of the contraptions that the scouts came up with last week. i would much rather walk over a bridge made by the girls. mainly as they got the idea that you couldnt just stick a pole over the "shark infested custard" or "deep ravine" and just cross, as that is cheating.

well i was helping the girls cause they like me!

is it cause im cool? lol

odiham explorer scout (labyech 28's mate)

and by "stubbern akela" does labtech 28 mean my mum?

My first venture onto this forum in months! :lol::wub:

Anyway, an update:

Akela - not interested. Her husband, retired Akela, not interested. Infact they seem to have a phobia about people treading on their toes as they have turned down other ideas from other parents :wub:

Any of you able to get an article placed within the Cub and Scout magazines respectively using stuff from your own troops? That might do the trick ;)

My first venture onto this forum in months! :D:unsure:

Anyway, an update:

Akela - not interested. Her husband, retired Akela, not interested. Infact they seem to have a phobia about people treading on their toes as they have turned down other ideas from other parents :D

Any of you able to get an article placed within the Cub and Scout magazines respectively using stuff from your own troops? That might do the trick :D

I am assured (after much pestering of Scout HQ), that the much promised Scout Skills Factsheet entitled GPS Navigation and Geocaching (or something like that - I never saw the final version) has been sent to the webmaster for publication on Scoutbase, the association's website for leaders.

As to the lack of enthusiasm of the leadership, complain to the District Commissioner that you have bent over backwards to offer help to these people but they are too stuck in a rut. It's a difficult situation that I have seen in the past, but a Scouting Section of any age that is stagnant and not open to ideas is just dying anyway. Of course the DC might ask you to take over instead... <_< If you don't know how to contact the local DC, call the Scout Information Centre on 0845 300 1818 and they can give you the details.

Thanks Careygang, just one of those things I suppose? We'll get it sorted.

Are you missing our snow in sunny Vegas? :D;) Really could do with some of your desert sunshine right now :grin:

We did have a while below freezing back in January, where there was ice about for several days, but it's getting warmer now. Check out the caches we did last weekend. It was horizontal stinging rain for a few hours in the morning as 35mph winds blew off the mountains just as we started our day's caching, followed by an afternoon of sunshine in the 70's F. Clambering around at over 3,500 ft is something we'll have to get used to. This one was a good climb. The Engagement Cache ;)