Calling All UK Scouts & Guides

Hi

As an active Scout Leader and an enthusiastic Geocacher I'd like to set up an informal network of UK based geocachers with strong Scouting connections - either Scouts, Guides or Leaders. With the 2007 Centenary celebrations fast approaching it would be fun to lay on some special caching activities (events, CITO meets, Scouting based caches, etc) to mark the occaision. We will also have Scout& Guides & Leaders visiting the Uk from all over the world and the odds are that a fair percentage of them will be geocachers.

Anyone interested please let me know. If there's enough of us it may be possible to formalise the group, but that's a possibility that would need careful thought. :D

YIS

Les Sinclair (International Team Gilwell)

Sinclair of Rosslyn :D

Keywords - Scout, Scouts, Scouting, Guide, Guides, Leader, Jamboree, Centenary

Hi

As an active Scout Leader and an enthusiastic Geocacher I'd like to set up an informal network of UK based geocachers with strong Scouting connections - either Scouts, Guides or Leaders. With the 2007 Centenary celebrations fast approaching it would be fun to lay on some special caching activities (events, CITO meets, Scouting based caches, etc) to mark the occaision. We will also have Scout& Guides & Leaders visiting the Uk from all over the world and the odds are that a fair percentage of them will be geocachers.

Anyone interested please let me know. If there's enough of us it may be possible to formalise the group, but that's a possibility that would need careful thought. :laughing:

YIS

Sinclair of Rosslyn :laughing:

Les

very interested I am also a n active cub leader and have talked to gilwell about geocaching please e mail me for my contact details it would be good to talk.

Simon Heys (Tacanman)

This is a really great idea... However, your events would not be allowed, nor published if they are not open to all to attend, and not just guides, scouts etc.

Due to the nature of the possible Attendees, and as long as the events were open to both Guides/Brownies & Scouts/Cubs [equal opportunities :laughing: ] I'd be happy to take any proposed events upstairs to Groundspeak, as they would have to make a decision on these. As it's not something a Reviewer could do.

Also as I come across caches submitted by Scout/Cub/Beaver Troops(?) I'll pass a link onto this thread to help spread the word. Funny thing is I can't remember seeing any submitted by a Guide/Brownie Troop yet :laughing: [watch the emails pointing them out flood in]

:laughing:

I'm a former ASL in Northants, and still get dragged in from time-to-time...

I did a short presentation/exercise on GPS/Geocaching at Nailer (Northants International Camp) last summer. The powerpoint was cobbled together from other posters on this forum, and I published a link to it not long ago...

I'm not currently expecting to be at the Jamboree...

Sinclair of Rosslyn :laughing:

Hi

I started the same time as you after scouting mag item. I'm an explorer and a young leader for cubs, Dad is a scout leader, Mum a Brown Owl and sister is a Explorer and an Ranger Guide. We are all going to the WSJ in 4 different units! very intrested in being involved in promoting geocaching. How about encouraging county and unit badges being placed as treasure? This would ensure that it is open to all, but the badges would be of particular interest to members of the movement. Perhaps through scouting mag we could promote interest in local groups setting up their own geocache within hiking distance of each camp site across the country. Again, open to all, but likely to have a high visit rate from scouting / guiding campers. What do you think?

Radsem

Hi,

I'm a Beaver Scout Leader in Sussex, although I do help out in all sections. We (as a family) have just set up a series of geocaches on Ashdown Forset (Sussex) aimed at all ages of scouts. My Beaver group will do it over Easter. Details are on the geocaching website as Ashdown Beaver Scouts Series. A walk of around three and a half miles with 8 possible cache finds which could work out well with the new hikes away badges :laughing:

Julie Thomspon BSL 4th East Grinstead

Edited by dthompson19

I thought I should just pop in and wave, I'm an explorer scout at the moment, and have been in scouting since a beaver.

Ruskin (1st Wallington) Unit, Sutton District, Greater London South West, for the whole area...

I can't seem to get the rest of my unit into GPS use though... The leaders use it, but not for hiking. (Not that I'm reliant on a GPS for navigation though......)

We're both Scouters, as is our daughter Jenwen (of 'Towed by Mutts') - Catsuey & Jenwen will both be at the Jamboree on the IST. I am helping out with the '57 reunion.

There are a few more of us GeoScouts in Cromwll District/Cambridgeshire. These four travel bugs were released in a centenary TB race with the intention of getting a little interest for our Scouts and to highlight the centenary in our own little way:

21st WSJ Medallion (Boneychest)

Beavers are Best (Catsuey)

Bob the Explorer (Cromwell Explorer Unit)

Olly (Cromscout)

Boneychest

Bob the Explorer & Beavers are Best set out on their journey.

4c28ef54-5f5f-475d-b952-46b2162ebaf1.jpg

Hi

We're both involved in Scouting too (we met at Beaver camp - ahh), currently I'm involved behind the scenes (District & County appointments in Somerset) and The Driver runs two Scout Troops. I think Centenary caches/events are a great idea.

I'm also interested to hear about people who have taken their Sections Geocaching - its something we've often talked about but never got off the ground. How many GPS do you have on the night - and where do you get them all from? We had talked about involving the County Youth Store - maybe they would purchase some sets and hire them out - has anyone done this in their area?

I'll be watching your caches to see how the Beavers get on, Julie!

Hi there, we are both involved as leaders in the North Leeds area and would be interested. Cheers M

Hi All, Sorry for the delay in response I posted the topic and then had to go overseas at short notice.

If you let me have your details (name, e-mail, mobile, current Scout or Guide District) I'll endeavour to set up some sort of communication group.

We will have to be careful, particularly regarding issues like Child Protection, when discussing Scout & Guide related events.

YIS

Les Sinclair

les@ecg.uk.com

Hi

Anyone interested please let me know. If there's enough of us it may be possible to formalise the group, but that's a possibility that would need careful thought. :D

YIS

Sinclair of Rosslyn :wacko:

Les

very interested I am also a n active cub leader and have talked to gilwell about geocaching please e mail me for my contact details it would be good to talk.

Simon Heys (Tacanman)

Hi Simon, please see my general repply and drop me an e-mail.

YIS

Les Sinclair

les@ecg.uk.com

Edited by Sinclair of Rosslyn

We're both Scouters, as is our daughter Jenwen (of 'Towed by Mutts') - Catsuey & Jenwen will both be at the Jamboree on the IST. I am helping out with the '57 reunion.

There are a few more of us GeoScouts in Cromwll District/Cambridgeshire. These four travel bugs were released in a centenary TB race with the intention of getting a little interest for our Scouts and to highlight the centenary in our own little way:

21st WSJ Medallion (Boneychest)

Beavers are Best (Catsuey)

Bob the Explorer (Cromwell Explorer Unit)

Olly (Cromscout)

Boneychest

Bob the Explorer & Beavers are Best set out on their journey.

4c28ef54-5f5f-475d-b952-46b2162ebaf1.jpg

Hi Guys, I was at Winter Camp this weekend and visited Gilwell 1 & 2 on the Sunday. If we had some way of formalising a communications link we could agree a time and place to meet (bit like an event cache but linked to a Scout camp or event). Please contact me on the e-mail in the general note posted.

YIS

Les

Hi

We're both involved in Scouting too (we met at Beaver camp - ahh), currently I'm involved behind the scenes (District & County appointments in Somerset) and The Driver runs two Scout Troops. I think Centenary caches/events are a great idea.

I'm also interested to hear about people who have taken their Sections Geocaching - its something we've often talked about but never got off the ground. How many GPS do you have on the night - and where do you get them all from? We had talked about involving the County Youth Store - maybe they would purchase some sets and hire them out - has anyone done this in their area?

I'll be watching your caches to see how the Beavers get on, Julie!

We have taken the Troop out on meeting night to find the nearest caches to our building. Also it forms an afternoon activity at our summer camp. Download the maps etc before we go. Max

Hi All

I am the ASL for the 8th Burgess Hill Scout Troop. And Mrs TT is involved in the District Team

We have taken our troop out caching and they loved it.

The troop has their own TB, and most weeks someone is talking about where it is at the mo.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=284317

We are currently arranging an overnight hike with the troop, and planning the route to take in as many caches on route as we can!!!!!!

I will be interested in getting involved in this.

Edited by Tootsie's Trackers

Hi, I'm DC for Grantham and I've only just come across this thread. The notion of arranging a Scouting Event is good and I'm also aware of the Child protection issues.

I've been pestering Gilwell for some time about issuing a Factsheet to cover the Scouting specific aspects of geocaching, but they seem reluctant. <_< As a consequence, I've had a factsheet published on our District website at http://www.grantham-scouts.org.uk/downloads.htm . One of the things it covers is how to hold a 'Scout' caching event and make it public afterwards. I'd be interested in any Scouter/Guider views on the content.

I've also written an article on geocaching hopefully for publishing in the next (April/May) issue of Scouting magazine.

We have 4 caches out in the District all prefixed 'Grantham Scouts' GCVMXJ, GCVD0J, GCVD09, and GCVMYG. this log-in was created specially for ownership of these caches, I geocache privately under another log-in, though a little detective work would soon put the two together.

Hi

Anyone interested please let me know. If there's enough of us it may be possible to formalise the group, but that's a possibility that would need careful thought. <_<

YIS

Sinclair of Rosslyn ;)

Hi

Iv replied to your last scout forum and i am intrested in taking part in it.

I'm an Explorer and have gone through all the troop stages and i'm now also an assistant leader for cubs.

I actually started geocaching becuase of an artical about it in the scouting magasine.

Also my whole family a apart of the scout and guiding family, and all going to the jamboree.

I recently went on a walking weekend with my dads scout troop i showed them and got them intrested in caching and they think it is great.

I'm always intrested in being involved in any scouting activities so i would be greatfull if you could inform me if there is any more news about this.

thanks

radsem

Hi,

I'm an active ASL in Southport District, Merseyside. I'm very new to Geocaching and would love to discuss geocaching with like minded people.

Been thinking about introducing it to my scouts - but need t get a better hang of it my self first!!

YIS

Tilly

Tilly - Take a look at the factsheet that we've put on our District website (two entries up on this topic) See if it helps. :huh:

Hi,

I'm an active ASL in Southport District, Merseyside. I'm very new to Geocaching and would love to discuss geocaching with like minded people.

Been thinking about introducing it to my scouts - but need t get a better hang of it my self first!!

YIS

Tilly

Oh Tilly! You might know my sister then.. she is the County Training Mananger...

Gill -xx-

I mentioned 3 days ago that I have been pestering Scout HQ at Gilwell about publishing a factsheet, but Barny in the Activities office is still not budging. When you consider the high standard of guidance the BSA provide to their members, I think this is misguided.:huh:

I pointed him at this thread and he still sees no need for a factsheet. Perhaps its me after all! :ph34r:

If anyone feels that we do need a factsheet to help Scouters (and Guiders if need be) get the most out of Geocaching, perhaps you could contact him via the Scout Information Centre at info.centre@scout.org.uk :ph34r:

Edited by granthamscouts

Hey I go cadets does that count :huh:

I guess that depends if you want to Geocache.

Actually it is bad enough trying to organise a one organisation event and keep within the Child protection principles, involving any Cadets organisation (CCF, ATC, ACF etc) as well could be a nightmare. :ph34r:

Anyway, I would have thought the different bias of the cadets training programme would not fit in with the one for Scouts (or Guides for that matter), but I stand by to be corrected by any Cadet Adults. :ph34r:

Hey I go cadets does that count ;)

Actually it is bad enough trying to organise a one organisation event and keep within the Child protection principles, involving any Cadets organisation (CCF, ATC, ACF etc) as well could be a nightmare. ;)

Anyway, I would have thought the different bias of the cadets training programme would not fit in with the one for Scouts (or Guides for that matter), but I stand by to be corrected by any Cadet Adults. ;)

Hey I go cadets does that count ;)

Actually it is bad enough trying to organise a one organisation event and keep within the Child protection principles, involving any Cadets organisation (CCF, ATC, ACF etc) as well could be a nightmare. ;)

Anyway, I would have thought the different bias of the cadets training programme would not fit in with the one for Scouts (or Guides for that matter), but I stand by to be corrected by any Cadet Adults. ;)

Hi I lead a cub section here but also have and continue t work closly with several ATC squadrons in the area. I dont see to many dificulties in Scouts and cadet organiations mixing. I would have thought more difficulty with Beavers and cubs mixing with cadets due to the age diffrence. In outdoor activities the aim of teaching and using navigation skills is surpirsingly similar in the two organisations.

Thanks Dorsetgal for bumping this topic up as I don't often read these forums and missed it first, second and third times round.

I've been caching for just over 4 years and leading a Cub pack for 6. We frequently do geocaching activites and I've organised many caches events at County fun days and for other packs & districts.

One thing we do every couple of years is based on land owned by one of our parents so we are able to pretty much let the Cubs run free with GPSs without any problems. I tend to make the caches puzzle based or something to do with map reading or orienteering to keep them educational.

I like the idea of anything organised nationally for scouting and caching. I would also like the idea of a TB race with Cubs/Scouts/Beavers against each other.

If anyone is interested in hearing more of what I've done email me through my profile.

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

hi

Im a newbie brownie guider and would love to take my brownies out caching but as I don't have much experience I'm not sure where to start. The other guiders are interested and want me to do something with the Guide and Ranger packs too.

Would it be best to start with map reading etc or just jump straight in? :)

Would definitely be interested in a geocaching leaflet/ factsheet relating specifically to guides/scouts.

There are a lot of caches in our local area so we wouldn't have to go too far.

Can they get any badges/ credit for this sort of thing. I know there is a bage for orienteering but how does caching fit in ?

Any help/ ideas appreciated and add me to your list of interested parties. thanx :D

hi

Im a newbie brownie guider and would love to take my brownies out caching but as I don't have much experience I'm not sure where to start. The other guiders are interested and want me to do something with the Guide and Ranger packs too.

Would it be best to start with map reading etc or just jump straight in? B)

Would definitely be interested in a geocaching leaflet/ factsheet relating specifically to guides/scouts.

There are a lot of caches in our local area so we wouldn't have to go too far.

Can they get any badges/ credit for this sort of thing. I know there is a bage for orienteering but how does caching fit in ?

Any help/ ideas appreciated and add me to your list of interested parties. thanx :(

Hi - Check out this link for a factsheet from Grantham Scouts as HQ are reluctant to do one at their end. B) In it we have said that due to the skills required, it is not recommended for Beaver scouts and Cub Scouts should only go caching at the discretion of an experienced Caching leader. As your Brownies bridge the Beaver /Cub age range it is debatable if it is suitable. It is hard to imaging a group of Brownies/Cubs looking natural whilst searching out a cache!

It is of course dependant on a number of issues, whether or not you use real 'active' caches or are fortunate enough to have a private area, such as mentioned by Lizzzzeeeee. But let's face it, if a few Cubs and a leader or two descend on the local park looking for a genuine mini Cache, the result will be chaos and no doubt a muggled cache.

Edited by granthamscouts

:D thanks for that granthamscouts

I see what you mean about the brownies. I think the Guides and Rangers would be better suited to active caching but I may try and do something with the brownies, even if they can only track a tb or something :D

Guide camp may be a good place to start as they will be doing orienteering. That will give them an introduction (and save me a lot of explaining :lol: ) and there are a few nearby we could pick up on a hike. Rural caches will be easier as stealth won't be as much of an issue.

Thanks again

Gill....

:o thanks for that granthamscouts

I see what you mean about the brownies. I think the Guides and Rangers would be better suited to active caching but I may try and do something with the brownies, even if they can only track a tb or something :(

Guide camp may be a good place to start as they will be doing orienteering. That will give them an introduction (and save me a lot of explaining :o ) and there are a few nearby we could pick up on a hike. Rural caches will be easier as stealth won't be as much of an issue.

Thanks again

Gill....

Gill

it's all down to the youngsters involved and where you do it. If they are of the right maturity, the idea of being stealthy and 'spy like' would go down well. What you don't want is one of them to get over excited and scream out what they have found in the middle of town. But if you were on a good hike in the country it would probably work OK. TB tracking is really something for them to be excited about as they can watch from home and when it moves on they will be falling over themselves to tell you about it (hopefully).

Happy caching

:D

Edited by granthamscouts

Hi

YIS

Sinclair of Rosslyn :(

Les

this got a bit off topic, but have you had much other interest? :P

And you heard it here first folks, I am currently working on some new caches to join the 'Grantham Scouts' series and they will be released later in the summer (once centenary camp is done and dusted!). :lol:

Careygang (aka the force behind 'granthamscouts')