Garmin 60csx electronic compass

dad2jnk

Hey there,

Has Garmin released any new updates to help with the constant recalibration of the compass? I am getting a little tired of spinning twice at every cache. :D

The last software update I transferred was in July 2006. Maybe there is a new one I don't know about.

Thanks.

dad2jnk

Hey there,

Has Garmin released any new updates to help with the constant recalibration of the compass? I am getting a little tired of spinning twice at every cache. :D

I am curious as to why you need to re-calibrate at every cache or are you joking? Caliberation is only required with a change of batteries as far as I understand it. I must admit I generally don't bother even then and still seem to find caches okay.

Regards

Andrew

I am curious as to why you need to re-calibrate at every cache or are you joking?

I don't think its a joke. I often start toward a cache and the pointer is 90 degrees from where I expect it. I do the calibration dance and it points in the expected direction. The calibration seems to get knocked out periodically regardless of battery change. I usually turn the compass off before I get too dizzy. Better yet, I use a Venture Cx and I don't have to remember to turn it off.

I usually turn the compass off before I get too dizzy.
Dizzy?? I grab the belt clip and spin the GPS. I wonder how many people do it my way. It reminds me of the time I found out most people eat corn on the cob in circles. I eat typewriter style.

I think calibration compensates for the iron objects you are carrying.

Edited by John E Cache

In order to avoid recalibrating after swapping batteries, another option is to have the unit powered up through the USB cable when swapping the batteries out. I haven't tried this yet.

Does anyone know if this avoids having to recalibrate the compass?

One of the things you are supposedly "calibrating out" are magnetic fields from the batteries, so you want to run a calibration after changing them anyway.

Hey there,

Has Garmin released any new updates to help with the constant recalibration of the compass? I am getting a little tired of spinning twice at every cache. :unsure:

I am curious as to why you need to re-calibrate at every cache or are you joking? Caliberation is only required with a change of batteries as far as I understand it.

Agreed.

I don't have any problems with the compass (3.0/2.90).