USGS Topo Maps? Book Form?

So, Yeah, I've got the Gazetteer atlas and such, but they don't really have the detail I wan't. I can get the USGS quads online and print them, and that's nice, but I'd like a full size print out.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a source where you can get all of the usgs topo maps for a state in book form, like the Delorme Gazetteer? I think I found somewhere where you can get them individually for 7 bucks each which is reasonable, but wow, to get an entire state printed up would be a fortune.

If the best answer is to get a TOPO software solution, how do you make sure it prints at the right resolution?

Or print it out in a larger format than 8.5x11?

Thanks!

That's actually a pretty good question. If it were in book form I'd think it would be a pretty big book, considering the size of each map. I can't imagine quartering each map and doing a ThomasGuide thing, because then you would have a killer of a time trying to triangulate with it, which is primarily what they were made for in the first place.

Controlling the zoom level on the Topo maps programs isn't too difficult, but I've never tried printing them out. My GPS is the only topo map I really need.

My GPS is the only topo map I really need.

Maybe that's the best advice.... I've got a Garmin GPSIII+ at the moment, and am looking to upgrade to the G76CSX in the near future. All I've got for the GPSIII+ is the old Roads and Recreation disc, but with the new one I'll be getting the topo software as well as city navigator...

Still, there's something I like about having a nice big piece of paper with the contours on it. Just nice to look at and figure out where to go....

You might contact a surveying, engineering, or drafting office. I know some of them have printers that will print sheets up to the size of a small car hood (or larger) in color. Might cost some, but you should be able find a business that will have access to the maps and be willing to print you what you need.

If they don't have the maps, I guess you could make a "Big JPEG File" in USAPhotomaps go to a copy store to print off on a big sheet.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a source where you can get all of the usgs topo maps for a state in book form, like the Delorme Gazetteer? I think I found somewhere where you can get them individually for 7 bucks each which is reasonable, but wow, to get an entire state printed up would be a fortune.

If the best answer is to get a TOPO software solution, how do you make sure it prints at the right resolution?

Or print it out in a larger format than 8.5x11?

Thanks!

You can purchase these from the USGS. Typically a quad will sell for about $10. A quad is scaled at 1:24,000 which makes it about 24"X 36". In a state like Texas that takes close to 100 quads to cover the state. Also remember that they have not been updated with roads or anything else since the late 70's or very early 80's.

I use Google Earth and print out the area I am looking for on standard paper. It is much easier, cheaper , and usually has the latest roads.

Good luck

:laughing:

i understand wanting a nice paper map to have when in the hills. i like using my compass and spreading that map out on the hood of my jeep - like they did in WWII. But your right covering an entire state with USGS maps is VERY expensive.

and it is true that they are not always acurate, the one i have that covers one of my favorite areas, hasn't been updated since 1929.

I have looked for along time for something better, in book form maybe, and i can't find it either.

However, i just got a Garmin legend c and the topo maps to go with it, and that has been working quite well. the only downside is that the contours are more comparable to the USGS 1:100,000 scale then the 1:24,000 scale.

let me know if you find something better.

thanks

I too would stick to Topo mapping on the Garmins or using a laptop with Mapsource. You would end up with a pretty heavy "New York Phonebook" of a map guide in paper version for just 1 state. I have not printed anything from Mapsource so I can't really report on that but I'll stick up for the mapping on screen! :laughing:

i understand wanting a nice paper map to have when in the hills. i like using my compass and spreading that map out on the hood of my jeep - like they did in WWII. But your right covering an entire state with USGS maps is VERY expensive.

and it is true that they are not always acurate, the one i have that covers one of my favorite areas, hasn't been updated since 1929.

I have looked for along time for something better, in book form maybe, and i can't find it either.

However, i just got a Garmin legend c and the topo maps to go with it, and that has been working quite well. the only downside is that the contours are more comparable to the USGS 1:100,000 scale then the 1:24,000 scale.

let me know if you find something better.

thanks

likewise, topo maps in the GPSr - though mine is a Lowrance (Expedition C) - Contours on 100ft intervals - without the topo in the unit, I, too, would be getting quads for every area I cache in - though I would probably not buy a whole state at a time - just more money than I want to spend

I did find a free source for the USGS topo maps (www.usgsquads.com) and have been downloading them for my local area and putting them in as image overlays on google earth.

That actually works pretty good. It's also cool to turn the terrain on and see the contours match up to the terrain data....

I've been using that to make my own 'seamless' custom quads and print them out at 8.5x11. Now I need to get myself a large format printer :laughing: (yeah, right)

Have you tried GeocachingAdmin.com's TerraServer Mapper? If you know the coordinates, you can get a pretty big topo map (with a known scale) of the entire surrounding area. ExpertGPS will also download those images and overlay multiple caches on them automatically.

Save those images, and then view them if you want - print them if you want. No cost except your ink and the paper.

Edited by Markwell

Since most people have a 8.5x11 printer at home, the full size quads are hard to print. Save the files to a CD, DVD, or flash drive and take it to a local print shop to print full size.

Or make friends with someone who works with GIS and has access to a full size plotter. Bribing with liquor usually works.