2006 Best of Socal Awards

ShowStop

The 2006 Best of Socal Awards are now in full swing. This year, the initial nomination phase of the awards is being hosted at the IECachers.org website:

http://www.iecachers.org/modules.php?name=...ewforum&f=7

Here is the timeline for the awards:

Nominations - Begin Dec 29 and continue through Jan 31, 2007

Voting - Online ballots will begin Feb 2 and close on Feb 15

Awards - To be issued at the Temecula Valley Event on Feb 18, 2007

I invite you to visit the site and vote for your favorite caches from 2006. The nomination phase of the awards is the most important part. If the caches don't get nominated, then nobody will know how great they were. There were alot of great caches put out in the last year, so let everybody know which was your favorite. Don't forget to stop back in again in February to fill out the official ballot.

The awards will be handed out at the Temecula Valley Event which is sure to become a Mega Event. Don't miss out on the event so you can find out who in Socal will be honored as one of The Best of 2006! :D

Ok folks, today is the LAST DAY to nominate your favorite caches for the 2006 Best of Socal Awards! Nominations close at midnight tonight. Only about 8hrs or so from now to get those last minute nominations in. If the cache isn't nominated, it wont make it on the ballot. :cool:

Visit the awards forum here to nominate and vote:

The official ballots are due to be online this coming Friday. So stop back in at the end of the week or next week and fill out an online ballot. All voting is done online prior to the Temecula Event. I'll make another announcement about the voting when the ballot is ready.

Thanks for your support and good luck to those in the running. :cool:

Ok folks, today is the LAST DAY to nominate your favorite caches for the 2006 Best of Socal Awards! Nominations close at midnight tonight. Only about 8hrs or so from now to get those last minute nominations in. If the cache isn't nominated, it wont make it on the ballot. :laughing:

The official ballots are due to be online this coming Friday. So stop back in at the end of the week or next week and fill out an online ballot. All voting is done online prior to the Temecula Event. I'll make another announcement about the voting when the ballot is ready.

Thanks for your support and good luck to those in the running. :laughing:

How do you vote? :laughing:

A lot of us from SD just found out about where to come and vote. I'm sure a lot us of would have made some nominations too but most of us didn't where to go to do that. Anyhow, when you are ready to have us vote please post a note on the SD thread! That's a good place to find us! :laughing:

Edited by TrailGators
Ok folks, today is the LAST DAY to nominate your favorite caches for the 2006 Best of Socal Awards! Nominations close at midnight tonight. Only about 8hrs or so from now to get those last minute nominations in. If the cache isn't nominated, it wont make it on the ballot. :laughing:

I don't see the link to vote either. I just see that all the nomination categories are closed.

I don't see the link to vote either. I just see that all the nomination categories are closed.

I wish they would open the nominations for a couple more days since most of us didn't know about where to go to nominate until after the nominations were closed! :laughing: The voting hasn't started so it would be OK! :laughing: C'mon! Give us until 2/7 to nominate some great SD caches and then vote from 2/8-2/22! :laughing: Edited by TrailGators
I wish they would open the nominations for a couple more days since most of us didn't know about where to go to nominate until after the nominations were closed! :ph34r: The voting hasn't started so it would be OK! :ph34r: C'mon! Give us until 2/7 to nominate some great SD caches and then vote from 2/8-2/22! :ph34r:

Sorry you missed out. I made a post (and so did Cornerstone4) earlier in January about the nomination process in the SD thread. I got no responses to that.

I really would have loved to see more participation from the SD folks. You guys could have cleaned house in a few categories. I even added 'Best Underground Cache' category in hopes some of the SD caches would get nominated.

I'd like to re-open the nominations, but that wouldn't be fair to the others that already submitted theirs on-time.

There are a few SD caches that did make the cut:

The Finale: HELL'S ASCENT by Dante

Caching Naked by what's hang'n HaZzMaTt...

'GEO OCOTILLO' CITO Event by PassingWind and SKILLET

The Great 78 CITO Attempt 1.5 - NOT Earth Day by PassingWind & SKILLET

The best I can say now is spread the word and have all the SD folks vote for your local caches and hope they win. Both CITO event nominations are for your Ocotillo events, so you guys have that category locked down. :blink:

Edited by ShowStop

At last...ITS TIME TO VOTE!!!

The last stage of the 2006 Best of Socal Awards is ready for you! The nominees have been compiled and the official ballot is now online.

The voting ballot is available here:

http://www.showstop.org/geocache-awards/

The ballot is available from now until Feb 15 at 11:59pm. Voting is only available online, no voting will take place at the Temecula event.

A bookmark list of all the caches and their categories is also available for reference:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...7f-d1fb278a6bb8

Good luck to all the nominees on the ballot! See ya at the event! :blink:

Sorry you missed out. I made a post (and so did Cornerstone4) earlier in January about the nomination process in the SD thread. I got no responses to that.
Sorry dude but you never posted anything on the SD thread.... :huh:

Nobody ever posted a link on the SD thread until 2 hours before the deadline.... :P

Edited by TrailGators
Sorry dude but you never posted anything on the SD thread.... :huh:

Nobody ever posted a link on the SD thread until 2 hours before the deadline.... :P

Yes, he did. Somehow it slipped right past us. :P

Sorry dude but you never posted anything on the SD thread.... :P

Nobody ever posted a link on the SD thread until 2 hours before the deadline.... :huh:

Yes, he did. Somehow it slipped right past us. :P

Thank you for pointing that out. :bad:

As you can see, I posted a note back in Mid-December, and Tyler followed up at the beginning of January. :o

Sorry dude but you never posted anything on the SD thread.... <_<

Nobody ever posted a link on the SD thread until 2 hours before the deadline.... :D

Yes, he did. Somehow it slipped right past us. :)

Thank you for pointing that out. :D

As you can see, I posted a note back in Mid-December, and Tyler followed up at the beginning of January. :D

It slipped right past me too.... :o Anyhow, it doesn't matter because hardly anybody in LA has visited the favorite caches in San Diego, so how could they possibly vote for them anyhow???
It slipped right past me too.... <_< Anyhow, it doesn't matter because hardly anybody in LA has visited the favorite caches in San Diego, so how could they possibly vote for them anyhow???

True, but several people have mentioned they will be using the bookmarks I made as a guide for caches to add to their 'To-Do' list.

I maintain you shouldn't vote unless you have visited all the caches on the ballot. How can you say A is better than B and C if you have only visited A? This isn't all-star voting, or is it?

That's an age-old problem with awards, awards are exclusionary and should generally be avoided.

As an alternative it would be a lot more fun to cane one or two of the well-known SOCAL Geocaching cheaters. :rolleyes:

Edited by SD Rowdies

I think you guys are well-intended but the SoCal awards should be broken down by county to be more fair. 99% of the cachers in San Diego haven't found the caches in LA and visa versa. So it really doesn't mean anything as to who wins. It certainly doesn't mean that Cache X is the best cache in Socal! I think you guys should have people bookmark their favorites and then compile that list next year. At least that way, we can download all the cool ones as a PQ, if we ever go up there. :)

I maintain you shouldn't vote unless you have visited all the caches on the ballot. How can you say A is better than B and C if you have only visited A? This isn't all-star voting, or is it?

That's an age-old problem with awards, awards are exclusionary and should generally be avoided.

As an alternative it would be a lot more fun to cane one or two of the well-known SOCAL Geocaching cheaters. :)

:) I think the cheaters get the Grand Onion award. :huh:

... So it really doesn't mean anything as to who wins ...

But it does - to them. jester.gif

I propose the creation of a committee of cachers; say, one or two from each geographic area, L.A., Orange, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Barstow, Temecula, Imperial, etc... to review the top candidates and award first, second, third, etc...

The logistics appear daunting. Maybe, just change the title to something that doesn't say SoCal in it when not all the SoCal caches are reviewed. I mean who is more SoCal than San Diego?! :anitongue:

The voting here reminds me of a recent auto publication whose feature article was 4X4 of the year. Did they rate all the 4X4's on the market? No, only the 4X4's from manufactures that provided a test vehicle. I won't be renewing my subscription!

SoCalGeocachers.com has been running the Best of So Cal awards for a few years now. FullOn (Rich) asked ShowStop (Tyler) to coordinate the awards last year and Tyler did it again this year. It takes a tremendous amount of time and effort to coordinate these awards. Tyler has been asking for input and help since September. It would be nice if some of the most southern of the So Cal Geocaching community would be a little more appreciative of all the time and effort that Rich and Tyler have put into these awards.

The voting ballot is available here:

http://www.showstop.org/geocache-awards/

The ballot is available from now until Feb 15 at 11:59pm. Voting is only available online, no voting will take place at the Temecula event.

Only 24 hrs left to vote! Don't miss out! (This means you San Diego peeps!) Here is a glimpse of some of the swag the winners will get:

award-prizes.jpg

Don't forget the trophies too!!! :unsure:

SoCalGeocachers.com has been running the Best of So Cal awards for a few years now. FullOn (Rich) asked ShowStop (Tyler) to coordinate the awards last year and Tyler did it again this year. It takes a tremendous amount of time and effort to coordinate these awards. Tyler has been asking for input and help since September. It would be nice if some of the most southern of the So Cal Geocaching community would be a little more appreciative of all the time and effort that Rich and Tyler have put into these awards.

You lost me there; you think it's okay to cast a vote for, say, most creative cache if the voter only visited one of the candidates? Or none of them? Three out of four?

You lost me there; you think it's okay to cast a vote for, say, most creative cache if the voter only visited one of the candidates? Or none of them? Three out of four?

This is not a accurate scientific poll. There is no way possible that everybody voting could have visited all the caches on the ballot. Its just not fesable to make this happen. Thats why voting for each of the categories is optional. Vote for what you know. So what does that give us for results? The winner will probably be the most popular or most widely known cache. Those caches with few found logs and higher terrain ratings wont get as many votes.

So basically that makes these awards more of a poll of popular opinion. Given what the awards are trying to acheive, then I think they met their goal.

Now, instead of constantly criticizing my efforts to raise awareness in the game, why don't you provide some suggestions on how you think the awards process can be improved. All I'm trying to do is inspire geocachers to put forth more effort and give back to the game. All I seem to get from some of the SD folks is lots of negativity and critizism. :laughing: Maybe if you had provided more input when you were asked, we wouldn't be dealing with this now. :huh:

This is not a accurate scientific poll. There is no way possible that everybody voting could have visited all the caches on the ballot. Its just not fesable to make this happen. Thats why voting for each of the categories is optional. Vote for what you know. So what does that give us for results? The winner will probably be the most popular or most widely known cache. Those caches with few found logs and higher terrain ratings wont get as many votes.

So basically that makes these awards more of a poll of popular opinion. Given what the awards are trying to acheive, then I think they met their goal.

Now, instead of constantly criticizing my efforts to raise awareness in the game, why don't you provide some suggestions on how you think the awards process can be improved. All I'm trying to do is inspire geocachers to put forth more effort and give back to the game. All I seem to get from some ... folks is lots of negativity and critizism. :laughing: Maybe if you had provided more input when you were asked, we wouldn't be dealing with this now. :huh:

No good deed goes unpunished.

- Luce's Law

Nice change in the weather huh? It's a great day for Geoocaching.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Now, instead of constantly criticizing my efforts to raise awareness in the game, why don't you provide some suggestions on how you think the awards process can be improved. All I'm trying to do is inspire geocachers to put forth more effort and give back to the game. All I seem to get from some of the SD folks is lots of negativity and critizism. :laughing: Maybe if you had provided more input when you were asked, we wouldn't be dealing with this now. :huh:

No one is criticizing your efforts to raise awareness. I'm criticizing the selection process which appears to have been in place before you took over. I'm trying to raise awareness of the current system's weaknesses. Instead of acknowledging that, you and Mr. Good-Comeback are getting defensive and perceiving comments as negativity/criticism. I have no doubt you are working your heine off to have everything go smoothly. I'm not questioning your dedication towards that endeavor and wish everything does go smoothly.

I'll be at the awards; look for someone holding up a boycott sign in the back :huh: .

Btw, I did offer a suggestion, back on my Feb 9 log.

Looks like we need more San Diego cachers to backup our own. :P:D Reading the thread I didn't see this as criticism, more just questioning the system. If we cant question a democratic process, then where is free speech?

FYI -- Chili cookoffs normally have a judged award category and a people's choice award. :D:D

Looks like we need more San Diego cachers to backup our own....

Participation by folks from San Diego would be a great idea!

The SoCalGeocachers site, and geocachers, have been running awards for a couple of years. Announcements are made there, and in these forums. The main difference this year is the awards will be presented at the temecula event, rather than at the SoCal event, and the nominations were hosted by the IECachers.org website.

There is no nominating committee, and I don't think a committee would help.

Nominations, and votes, are accepted from any interested parties--there are no specific membership requirements for SoCalGeocachers, other than being interested in geocaching in SoCal. San Diego folks are certainly welcome at the site, in the forums there, and at events/group cache outings/etc. There are actually some nice people north of 33°!

I can see where it might be a good idea to have additional catagories for each county, but why not have the current catagories open to any SoCal cache? I think it helps bring those caches to more people's attention. As showstop mentioned, the bookmark list is pretty popular for updating "to do" lists.

Efforts were made this year to notify as many southern California geocachers as practical. Some San Diego County geocaches were nominated and are in the voting.

Next year, maybe more notice can be given or, with the increased interest generated this year, more notice will be taken of the announcements that are made. Either way, it would probably be more productive to look at ways to make communication better in the future.

I'd hate to see this develop into a feud over an attempt to recognize and encourage good quality geocaches...

Dave_W6DPS

Edited by Dave_W6DPS

[

Next year, maybe more notice can be given or, with the increased interest generated this year, more notice will be taken of the announcements that are made. Either way, it would probably be more productive to look at ways to make communication better in the future.

Or simply rename the awards the Best of LA-Temecula awards :lol:;)

Participation by folks from San Diego would be a great idea!

The SoCalGeocachers site, and geocachers, have been running awards for a couple of years. Announcements are made there, and in these forums. The main difference this year is the awards will be presented at the temecula event, rather than at the SoCal event, and the nominations were hosted by the IECachers.org website.

There is no nominating committee, and I don't think a committee would help.

Nominations, and votes, are accepted from any interested parties--there are no specific membership requirements for SoCalGeocachers, other than being interested in geocaching in SoCal. San Diego folks are certainly welcome at the site, in the forums there, and at events/group cache outings/etc. There are actually some nice people north of 33°!

I can see where it might be a good idea to have additional catagories for each county, but why not have the current catagories open to any SoCal cache? I think it helps bring those caches to more people's attention. As showstop mentioned, the bookmark list is pretty popular for updating "to do" lists.

Efforts were made this year to notify as many southern California geocachers as practical. Some San Diego County geocaches were nominated and are in the voting.

I'd hate to see this develop into a feud over an attempt to recognize and encourage good quality geocaches...

Dave_W6DPS

No doubt the "Best of Socal Awards" is a misnomer. After some prodding the oranizers have acknowledged the awards are based on an all-star type of voting.

...So basically that makes these awards more of a poll of popular opinion...

With more San Diego involvement, the awards are going to become an us v. them game. The cache with the largest homebase will win regardless if the cache is deserving of the title it wins. What is the anwser? I don't know; I've offered one suggestion but we need more input and, more importantly, a commitment from the organizers to want to change things. So far, they have been defensive about their current model and unwilling to change.

So can you tell us who won the awards now that it is all over. Thanks.

The Fossillady

WHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

OCOTILLO CITO Event...............FIRST PLACE.............CONGRATULATIONS PASSING WIND & SKILLET :blink::blink:

THE 4TH ANNUAL GEO OCOTILLO CAMPOUT.........FIRST PLACE :blink::huh::huh:

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE CAMPOUT CREW

THANKYOU SHOWSTOP FOR ALL OF THE TIME AND EFFORT YOU PUT INTO THIS!

WE APPRECIATE YOU INCLUDING OUR AREA IN THE AWARDS THIS YEAR.

WE ALSO INVITE EVERYONE TO ATTEND OUR 5TH ANNUAL TO BE HELD IN OCT. THIS YEAR WHERE WE WILL PROUDLY DISPLAY OUR TROPHY !!!

Here is my suggestion:

1) Let people vote until the fall of 2007 by creating their own favorites bookmark list or by using an online database. I used the fall because caches created at the end of the year have at a big disadvantage, so why not let those caches get grouped with following year's vote?

2) Determine which caches got the most votes for each category and each latitude (32, 33, and 34). Each latitude each get equal represention of their 3 top caches.

3) A challenge cache would be created for each category, which requires that the finder find all 9 nominees to log the challenge cache. The challenge caches could be split up so they reside in equal amounts in each latitude.

4) Then you let the people that found each challenge cache vote for their favorite cache.

5) Awards are given at a Socal event in March.

This method would ensure that the people voting have found all of the caches. Everyone gets to vote to make the top 3 in each region. We give plenty of time for people to find the caches plus they earn a challenge cache for doing it! Seems very fair and fun to me.....

Edited by TrailGators

I don't know; I've offered one suggestion but we need more input and, more importantly, a commitment from the organizers to want to change things. So far, they have been defensive about their current model and unwilling to change.

I for one appreciated your suggestion, and suggested a modified version of that. I think the defensiveness on my part was due more to not wanting folks to be negative about this years selection process, and to help us make it better next year!

My thought was this...at the end of this year, have 4 or 5 regional contests. Pick a fixed group of categories to be voted on in each region. (San Diego, IE, LA, OC...anyone else?) Each region picks a winner from their area, then the winners are what we vote for as "Best of SoCal". Granted, there will still be favorites, but at least each local region will be represented. I would try to hit as many as I could...I always enjoy seeing what kind of ideas folks have! It's still not perfect, but as a way of bringing awareness to the efforts of cachers all over...I think it is a fun idea...

No one is criticizing your efforts to raise awareness. I'm criticizing the selection process which appears to have been in place before you took over.

You are criticizing the selection process because it doesn't fit in with your opinions on how the contest should be run. Other folks from all over So Cal think the selection process is just fine, including a many of the San Diego cachers who have sent emails or told us in person at the mega event that we should just ignore the few bad San Diego apples spoiling the rep for the whole group.

It pisses me off to no end the anger, frustration, derision and just petty crap I've caught wind of regarding the awards this year. I should note that an overwhelming majority of the comments I heard regarding the awards were very positive, and in fact many of the NoCal'ers were awed at how fun the process was and were interested in importing the idea up north in the future. But the few naysayers need to be addressed, IMHO.

Two people donate countless hours, energy and even hard earned money VOLUNTARILY, and they catch crap for it?! I can't recall the last time I've seen such childish selfishness. Do people actually think they are entitled to some form of recognition or pat on the back? Is that why they cache? In the hopes that other cachers will fawn over their hides thereby inflating their fragile egos? Good lord, buy a dog or a blow up doll, but take that neediness elsewhere.

Are the nominees or winners actually objectively "better" or "superior" caches? Of course not. No one's saying they are. The awards are simply an appreciative, collegial form of recognition from fellow cachers who took the time to vote and show their personal, subjective, admiration. I'm always amazed at how simply being nice can end up angering folks.

Are numerous caches that are deserving of accolades overlooked? Of course they are. We have a lot of folks caching in SoCal. But everyone did all they could to spread the word and nominations were open to all for a long time. And does not receiving recognition somehow detract from the quality of a cache?

Finally,are the awards are some insidious means of political maneuvering and geosocial positioning meant to sway geofactions in an attempted geocoup over some mythical power base which mysteriously dictates the path of geocaching in SoCal?! Put the tinfoil hats away, nutjobs, and try and have some fun.

Well said James. Thank you.

I think is quite appropriate to discuss the selection process. However, whatever selection process is used, someone will complain that it is unfair - particularly in such a large region with as many caches as we have in So. California. If you recoginize this you can accept the fact that any "Best of Awards" is solely for fun. I wonder if the problem here isn't the same one of thinking that a generic cache rating system would be useful. Not everyone thinks the same caches are great. The purpose of these awards are a way of saying thank you to everyone that hides a cache. Categories are selected to include urban micros, tough terrain, and puzzles that are so hard that only a handful of cachers ever find them. Before Mr. Wisearse posted his message in the SoCal geocachers forum, I tried to say the same thing in a nicer way:

Thank you to ShowStop and FishPOET for their work on organizing the awards and for the trophies.

There were a lot of complaints this year about the awards not be fair to one region or the other. This is the problem with a big area like Southern California with so many caches. Nobody - not even EMC - can possibly have found all the caches that deserve recognition. I see the nominating process as a way for us to recognize the best caches we found during the past year. I see the voting and the awards as mostly just for fun because there is no way for the nominees to be fairly judged. In fact this year, I nominated a few of my favorites but didn't even participate in the voting. So congratulations to all the nominees.

Let's have less of this rhetoric trying to make it a competition between LA and San Diego (or even between LA and the Inland Empire) and have a calm discussion on how to make the process better for next year. But recognize that the award itself has little meaning outside of a fun way for the community to say thanks to the cache hiders.

I think is quite appropriate to discuss the selection process. However, whatever selection process is used, someone will complain that it is unfair - particularly in such a large region with as many caches as we have in So. California. If you recoginize this you can accept the fact that any "Best of Awards" is solely for fun. I wonder if the problem here isn't the same one of thinking that a generic cache rating system would be useful. Not everyone thinks the same caches are great. The purpose of these awards are a way of saying thank you to everyone that hides a cache. Categories are selected to include urban micros, tough terrain, and puzzles that are so hard that only a handful of cachers ever find them. Before Mr. Wisearse posted his message in the SoCal geocachers forum, I tried to say the same thing in a nicer way:
Thank you to ShowStop and FishPOET for their work on organizing the awards and for the trophies.

There were a lot of complaints this year about the awards not be fair to one region or the other. This is the problem with a big area like Southern California with so many caches. Nobody - not even EMC - can possibly have found all the caches that deserve recognition. I see the nominating process as a way for us to recognize the best caches we found during the past year. I see the voting and the awards as mostly just for fun because there is no way for the nominees to be fairly judged. In fact this year, I nominated a few of my favorites but didn't even participate in the voting. So congratulations to all the nominees.

Let's have less of this rhetoric trying to make it a competition between LA and San Diego (or even between LA and the Inland Empire) and have a calm discussion on how to make the process better for next year. But recognize that the award itself has little meaning outside of a fun way for the community to say thanks to the cache hiders.

I agree. :(

I agree. :)

I agree too :( It's all in fun ,no need for competition here. :(

Emphasis added

Trying? You're reading a forum on a different dimension. I'm trying to AVOID this competition. My hypothesis is that the current selection process is going to lead to such competition.

Emphasis added

Trying? You're reading a forum on a different dimension. I'm trying to AVOID this competition. My hypothesis is that the current selection process is going to lead to such competition.

Chuy it's just a simple little nomination/vote thing. They just call it a "Best of." So let them play pretend and have their fun. :rolleyes:

Chuy it's just a simple little nomination/vote thing. They just call it a "Best of." So let them play pretend and have their fun. :rolleyes:

We did...and it seemed like everyone had fun. At least I saw a lot of smiling faces, and there were a lot of lots indicating that it was fun.

I'm glad you guys had fun. I'm sorry if you guys think that I'm a bad apple because it certainly isn't that important to warrant becoming a bad apple over. :wub: