Day Packs comparison

shunra

I am in need of a new daypack. I'm looking at the the large end of daypacks, because I tend to lug along bulky camera gear. In particular, I am looking at the Gregory Z55 and the Osprey Atmos 50, and I'd like to have some input about your experience with these two. I need something that is big and comfortable enough to lug along heavier-than-average items on long hikes, but also easy to enough to quickly open and access.

So far, all I have an in-store comparison, loaded with 25 pounds.

I find the Z55 extremely comfortable, but a little bulky and awkward in terms of organization, for lack of convenient outside pockets.

I find the Atmos 50 OK in terms of comfort, but not quite as sturdy. On the other hand, the organizational design is excellent.

TIA for your input!

You should consider looking at the Mountainsmith Approach 3.0, which has alot of the features you want, including the shovel pocket. But much sturdier, also the pack can be unzipped making for easy access. the backs you are looking at appear to be top loading, which is a real pain the neck when you are trying to get at something in the bottom.

The Approach 3.0, replaced the Approach II, but it looks like they kept most of the same features. Check out this review of the Approach II by Briansnat. He is an avid hiker and does trail maintenance and uses the Approach II. Several Geocvachers bought this back on his reccomendation.

Edited by magellan315

You will likely find anyone with experience on the Gregory Z55, as it's a brand new pack. Most stores don't have them yet. As for the Atmos 50, I can offer my advice, since I just bought one.

First off, at 3200 cubes (for the size large that I have), I would certainly NOT call it a daypack. I can load it up with a week's worth of gear, so it's a good size pack. I find it to be the most comfortable pack I've carried, furthermore. Your mileage may vary. Oh, and a hydration bladder may be carried between the mesh back panel and the frame. It's something of a hybrid between an internal frame and an external frame. Very interesting. Anyway, I loaded it up with about 25lbs yesterday (what I'd carry for an overnight trip). I walked about 2-3 miles and it felt great the whole time. Part of my hike was on some pretty tricky trail, and the pack remained flexible enough to allow me adequate range of motion.

Also take a look at the REI Lookout. I have one of these, as well, and I like it. It's a bit smaller than the Atmos (2750 cubes for a large), but it has MUCH better organization.

I'll second the Moutainsmith II and 3 - I bought my 2 about 1 year ago and I LOVE it. I bought my wife the 3 this fall and it is even better. Lots of space for everything we want to carry along with us. Rugged and easy wearing. I have used mine on a few 7 - 10 mile hikes and it was comfortable and had plenty of room for all my gear.

You will likely find anyone with experience on the Gregory Z55, as it's a brand new pack. Most stores don't have them yet. As for the Atmos 50, I can offer my advice, since I just bought one.

First off, at 3200 cubes (for the size large that I have), I would certainly NOT call it a daypack. I can load it up with a week's worth of gear, so it's a good size pack. I find it to be the most comfortable pack I've carried, furthermore. Your mileage may vary. Oh, and a hydration bladder may be carried between the mesh back panel and the frame. It's something of a hybrid between an internal frame and an external frame. Very interesting. Anyway, I loaded it up with about 25lbs yesterday (what I'd carry for an overnight trip). I walked about 2-3 miles and it felt great the whole time. Part of my hike was on some pretty tricky trail, and the pack remained flexible enough to allow me adequate range of motion.

Also take a look at the REI Lookout. I have one of these, as well, and I like it. It's a bit smaller than the Atmos (2750 cubes for a large), but it has MUCH better organization.

The Lookout is too small, and it doesn't have that mesh panel back, at some distance from the compartment, that both the Z55 and the Atmos 50 have. I really liked those in both, and haven't seen those in anyt other pack.

Pictures of the Approach 3.0 only show me the front panel, not the the back. What on earth is a molded backpanel? Its organization sure looks convenient. Thanks all for the tip!

Do you really need such big backs for use as a day pack? You're talking two huge packs for daypacks. They are more small overnight packs than large daypacks.

That said, I haven't seen the Gregory, but have tried the Osprey Atmos out in the store and liked it. I'm sure the Gregory is an excellent pack as both they and Osprey make great packs. The Mountainsmith Approach that was mentioned by the others is also a good, largish day pack, but it still comes in about 700-900 ci less than the Gregory and Osprey.

The "bucket pocket" on the Gregory is a nice feature. My Mountainsmith Approach II has one and I find it to be extremely useful for things I need to get at quickly, or for carrying a wet raincoat, or packing out garbage or anything else I don't want inside the pack. The Atmos has a similar feature.

But both the and Gregory and Atmos are top loaders which can make it hard to get at everything.

I think the key is to go with which one has the features and fit that are best for you. Go for fit and comfort first and features second though.

You might also want to check out some of the Lowe packs. My wife has the womans version of the Cirque 35 and its a good, larger day pack. Very roomy. Lots of storage pockets but they are mostly internal. It has the mesh back panel that is separate from the pack bag that you are looking for.

Mountainsmith also has a number of other packs that might fit your needs including a few that are designed specifically for carrying camera equipment. I like Mountainsmith packs becase they are well thought out and durable.

Edited by briansnat

Do you really need such big backs for use as a day pack? You're talking two huge packs for daypacks. They are more small overnight packs than large daypacks.

That said, I haven't seen the Gregory, but have tried the Osprey Atmos out in the store and liked it. I'm sure the Gregory is an excellent pack as both they and Osprey make great packs. The Mountainsmith Approach that was mentioned by the others is also a good, largish day pack, but it still comes in about 700-900 ci less than the Gregory and Osprey.

The "bucket pocket" on the Gregory is a nice feature. My Mountainsmith Approach II has one and I find it to be extremely useful for things I need to get at quickly, or for carrying a wet raincoat, or packing out garbage or anything else I don't want inside the pack. The Atmos has a similar feature.

But both the and Gregory and Atmos are top loaders which can make it hard to get at everything.

I think the key is to go with which one has the features and fit that are best for you. Go for fit and comfort first and features second though.

You might also want to check out some of the Lowe packs. My wife has the womans version of the Cirque 35 and its a good, larger day pack. Very roomy. Lots of storage pockets but they are mostly internal. It has the mesh back panel that is separate from the pack bag that you are looking for.

Mountainsmith also has a number of other packs that might fit your needs including a few that are designed specifically for carrying camera equipment. I like Mountainsmith packs becase they are well thought out and durable.

Thanks, Brian.

Indeed, the top loading part is what I dislike about the two that I have found most comfortable so far.

I'll take a look at the Mountainsmith onesm and at Lowe alpine.

Thanks for your input!

Daniel