geocaching battle wounds?

Bad_CRC

Man, you wanna talk scars - have I got some stories for you :anitongue: .

Not much has stuck around from caching - the fur hides all the little sissy scratches from the weeds & such. I did have a cut that took a while to heal on the back of my hand, but it blends in so I really can't brag about that.

all the little sissy scratches from the weeds & such.

well I have one on my arm that's about 6 inches long. it's fairly significant. looks like I was in a knife fight or something.

Sweet, each one has a story and over the years it turns out that you were in a knife fight with a bear and........

I remember nearly every one of my better bo-bo's - the little ones just fade away, the good ones stick around forever.

My only permanent scars are on my legs. I have about ten permanent marks on my ankles from chigger bites during my trip to GeoWoodstock II in Tennessee, and a scar on my shin from tripping and falling down on a sharp branch sticking up from a fallen tree trunk on the side of a hill at this cache. My daughter's log is a lot funnier than mine. A newbie at the time, I was too embarrassed to write about my boo boo.

Got any scars (not emotional) from your geocaching hunts?

I've noticed that I have a few significant ones on my arms and legs I got from some thorns while caching, and a nice 2 inch scar on the top of my foot from poison ivy I caught while caching as well.

I went out with a buddy on a night cache. We started at about 9pm and finished up at around 3am. Being of high intellect, I decided to wear shorts for the expedition. It started with a good blackberry vine slashing from ankle to knee of both legs (front and back) and then a tromp through the stinging nettles (these hurt A LOT on open sores) and then waste deep swamp. Besides the intense burning for several days, I got some kind of funky infection....

But I'd probably do it again given the chance.

How about a scar in the making? I was caching with a couple buddies at Stone Mt. Ga. late last November, it was early in the morning. We had just found a couple of easy micros and I decided to go back to the truck and put on my hiking boots and grab the walking stick. I slipped on the wet granite, landed on my left knee and tore the Quad ligaments at the knee cap. It’s been 4 weeks since surgery and I have a 7 inch incision that should make a nice scar. Besides the pain, the worst part is the weather here has been super for geocaching but I’m still on crutches and will be for another few weeks. This did open my eyes though; it happened so fast on such an easy hike that from now on I will take more precautions when heading out to more aggressive geocaches, especially if going alone.

Learned quick about what happens when you're watching the GPSr and not where you're going. On my very first cache hunt, I walked straight in to some barb wire, scraping my shins, one down to bare bone. Almost 6 years later, still have very shiny thin scars over my shins.

I have a 3-inch scar on my right wrist from grabbing onto a tree while sliding down a hill. It probably wouldn't have turned into a scar had I cleaned it out and bandaged it up... but, uh... I didn't so now I have one there.

I've got a few on my legs from branches and thorns, they are fading fairly quickly and are largely hidden by the fur. :laughing:

I have said much the same in previous threads on this topic, but briefly:

I have geocached in the US and in two so-called "third world" countries (southern India and western Nicaragua), and even in West Virginia, and while in the USA, I tend to specialize in finding and hiding extreme terrain geocaches, usually 5/5 caches. To that end, I have done the following:

• climbed vertical cliffs, piers and walls using no gear
  • climbed vertical cliffs, piers and walls using rock-climbing gear
  • used vertical rope rappelling and climbing gear in climbing sheer cliffs
  • crawled on beams 18 feet above the floor of an abandoned concrete bunker
  • walked, crawled and climbed through the smelly wet ruined tunnels of an abandoned fort, where the floor was littered with empty syringes, body fluids, broken liquor bottles, strange empty glass vials and used condoms, and where the dark halls were filled with male sex cruisers, female hookers, pimps, drug dealers, predators, feral cats, rats, taggers (graffiti artists) and stoned goth teenagers
  • crawled on beams under an abandoned railroad bridge soaring 134 feet above a wilderness river gorge
  • swam across the waters of cold raging rivers to reach an obscure island
  • kayaked across a rough river with waters well above flood stage to reach poison-ivy infested islands
  • crawled in cold wet caves, some at high elevations
  • crawled on my belly in a tiny storm drain deep under the streets of the industrial section a city where the storm drain carries the runoff from three EPA-listed toxic waste sites.
  • climbed a sheer cliff face at 10,000 feet elevation in the face of a waterfall to reach the cave mouth above
  • walked on the thin concrete edge -- with no railing -- of an industrial toxic waste pond filled with 190 F bubbling wastewater
  • submerged myself in lakes and swamps
  • waded through industrial wastewater canals filled with toxic waste, pathogenic microbes and parasites
  • waded in swamp mud up to my hips for hundreds of yards
  • hung out with rattlesnakes (one five inches from my right foot, rattling furiously all the while) while seeking a cache placed in a rattlesnake den on a wilderness mountaintop
  • worn a Tyvek protective bunny suit and a respirator while carrying two Russian-made portable radiation monitors at an abandoned site which cannot be mentioned further
  • waded in colorful toxic waste ponds
  • crawled in orange mud in a smelly abandoned and unremediated EPA-listed toxic waste site on a road (in a seedy abandoned industrial wasteland) aptly named "Quarantine Road"
  • placed an extreme cache using a helicopter hovering in a position which most helicopter pilots consider to be extremely dangerous.
  • see my five log entries for my find of Quantum Leap (early 2006) if you want some even sicker tales than those above...

To my best knowledge, I have never had any injuries which I can remember in any of my ventures. Not a one. Sorry.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I have a really nice pair of boots and water resistant chaps that I wear for coon hunting. They come all the way up to the top of my thigh. They are thick rip-stop nylon, and have kept my jeans and my legs intact many nights in the woods. A good pair of leather work gloves also go a long way towards keeping your hands and wrists safe.

I have two scares right on top of each other on my left shin.

The first one happened while scouting a potential cache site. I stepped on a bowed stick with my right foot and it rolled just in time for the full momentum of my swinging left leg to come in contact with the jagged end of the stick. That in turn tripped me leading to more of my body weight being transfered to the point the shin was in contact with a jagged stick. It was an ugly scrapped area. It actually hurt worse when I cleaned the wound then when I received it. I was left with a half dollar size brown scar.

Almost one year later I thought I had broken my leg at Eatin in the Sade I have never felt a pain quite like that. I got light headed and almost sick at my stomach, which really worried me. The short of it is that after retrieving the caches I was stepping over a board and thought I was on something solid but it gave way. As I sunk into a knee deep washout at the edge of a parking lot my shin found the end of a broken piece of Concrete. Luckily it completely scrapped the old scar right off my leg <_<

It has faded a bit in the past year but it is about the size of a silver dollar.

I do have a fresh scrape on my right calf from Friday which is about 4 inches long. I will have update this post after it heals :huh:

Joe

I have geocached in the US and in two so-called "third world" countries (southern India and western Nicaragua), and even in West Virginia, and while in the USA, I tend to specialize in finding and hiding extreme terrain geocaches, usually 5/5 caches. To that end, I have done the following:

• walked, crawled and climbed through the smelly wet ruined tunnels of an abandoned fort, where the floor was littered with empty syringes, body fluids, broken liquor bottles, strange empty glass vials and used condoms, and where the dark halls were filled with male sex cruisers, female hookers, pimps, drug dealers, predators, feral cats, rats, taggers (graffiti artists) and stoned goth teenagers
  • crawled on beams under an abandoned railroad bridge soaring 134 feet above a wilderness river gorge
  • kayaked across a rough river with waters well above flood stage to reach poison-ivy infested islands
  • crawled on my belly in a tiny storm drain deep under the streets of the industrial section a city where the storm drain carries the runoff from three EPA-listed toxic waste sites.
  • climbed a sheer cliff face at 10,000 feet elevation in the face of a waterfall to reach the cave mouth above
  • walked on the thin concrete edge -- with no railing -- of an industrial toxic waste pond filled with 190 F bubbling wastewater
  • waded through industrial wastewater canals filled with toxic waste, pathogenic microbes and parasites
  • hung out with rattlesnakes (one five inches from my right foot, rattling furiously all the while) while seeking a cache placed in a rattlesnake den on a wilderness mountaintop
  • worn a Tyvek protective bunny suit and a respirator while carrying two Russian-made portable radiation monitors at an abandoned site which cannot be mentioned further
  • crawled in orange mud in a smelly abandoned and unremediated EPA-listed toxic waste site on a road (in a seedy abandoned industrial wasteland) aptly named "Quarantine Road"
  • placed an extreme cache using a helicopter hovering in a position which most helicopter pilots consider to be extremely dangerous.
  • see my five log entries for my find of Quantum Leap (early 2006) if you want some even sicker tales than those above...

To my best knowledge, I have never had any injuries which I can remember in any of my ventures. Not a one. Sorry.

:laughing: WOW! And I was whining about walking around in the East Texas woods, up a tiny "mountain" like hill and huffing and puffing back down it!

I'll never complain again.

BTW are you James Bond or a geocacher!! You are my hero now!

Mar. <_<

:laughing: WOW! And I was whining about walking around in the East Texas woods, up a tiny "mountain" like hill and huffing and puffing back down it!

I'll never complain again.

BTW are you James Bond or a geocacher!! You are my hero now!

Mar. <_<

:laughing: Ok . . . now considering that I am a "tadpole" at Geocaching . . . I'm freakin out!!

Am I destined for a hospital visit because even w/out the perils of caching, I am a complete clutz!

Ok this should prove to be some hilarious moments for my husband when we go next month for our 15th wedding anniversary to Oklahoma. We're taking the 4-wheeler and caching all weekend. SOOO, I'll try to report back some good battle scars. Pray for me!

Mar <_<