2gb MicroSD in a Garmin 76CSx?

Drafin

Was wondering if anyone had bought, installed and used a 2gb MSD card in that unit... getting ready to place my order on Amazon today for the 76. I was wondering if the 2gbs would work in it as I cant find anywhere on Garmin's website that it will or won't.

Draf

From the Garmin website:

GPSMAP 76CSx FAQs - Detailed List

Q. What is the largest size microSD card that I can use in my X-series GPS unit?

A. At this time, the 2 GB cards are the largest microSD cards that can be used for the X-series GPS units. However, the X-series GPS units are not compatible with the San Disk Ultra II cards and we do not recommend using the Ultra II micro SD cards with any of the X units.

Q. Is there a particular manufacturer of the micro SD cards that is recommended for use with the X series GPS units?

A. Although any brand of the micro SD card should work without any problems, Garmin recommends using SanDisk or Kingston brand cards. The only exception is that the SanDisk Ultra II 1 Gb cards are currently not compatible with the "x" series Garmin GPS units.

It's been done by many folks. If you don't have the NT version of the maps it's the only way to put the entire US on a single card. I only have a 1GB card but that's because I got it - delivered to my door - for $4.95 and also because the 2GB cards hadn't come out yet. If I ever find a deal like that on a 2GB card I'll pop one into my 76CSx and use the 1GB card in my phone instead.

Just picked up a Corsair 2GB MicroSD and it works perfectly with my Garmin 60CSx. Here are some specifics:

Corsair MicroSD 2GB

CMFSDMICRO-2GB Micro Secure

I've copied ~1.3GB of maps to the GPS and all is well. Now, I wish there was a faster way to transfer the map data to the card as it took approximately 2 hrs to build the indexes and copy the data.

Raptor

hi gang.....

ok i did call the garmin company yesterday....nice people by the way...

ask them about my card,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NO PROB.

only the hultra11 sandisk............he did say any hultra fast.......but not 100% about this.but 100% about the hultra11sandisk.no good.

joco :lol:

I just ordered a 2gb microsd for my new smartphone. It's an A-DATA brand (seems to be the cheapest, I got it for 49.99 on newegg. I'll put it into my GPS to test it out and let you know how it works when it arrives in a few days.

I just posted this but I see you bought an ADATA. I purchased a 1gig ADATA transflash for my wifes cellphone and it would not work (her phone is a samsung D807) ...so I pulled the 1gig sandisk out of my garmin and tried it in her cellphone and it worked like a charm.

I then put the maps on the ADATA card but not all the maps that fit on the sandisk card would fit on the ADATA card. I lost about 50megs as far as I can tell. BUT the card did and does work in the 60csx.

I dont know if my Adata card was just a funky one or all Adata cards are slightly smaller than sandisk?????

Anyone have any ideas on this..

Edited by kb9nvh

I have a 2gb Sandisk in my 60CSX and it works fine. I have the entire City Navigator 8 US (includng Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico) loaded plus 1:100k TOPO maps of all of Kansas, Missouri, southern Nebraska, southern Iowa, northern Oklahoma and northern Arkansas. No problems using it for both geocaching and/or vehicle navigation. :)

I also have the SanDisk 2gb microSD in my 60CSx and I loaded all of City Navigator North America NT v8, and all of US Topo National Parks West, and 5 states (WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ) of Topo USA. The total was 2005 maps (2025 limit) and nearly a 1.7gb file. It took 2 hours for MapSource to create the file and about an hour to upload it using the USB mass storage mode.

City Navigator is the top map, followed by National Parks, followed by Topo USA. That means without hiding any map set City Navigator is the default. If I hide City Navigator then National Parks is the top map, except that Topo USA appears where National Parks isn't present, which makes the most sense. Basically I use the 60CSx as a road map with its autoroute feature, then when I get on the trail I simple hide City Navigator and I get Topo USA, unless I'm in a National Park in which case that becomes the top map when City Navigator is hidden.

Great string. I received the 76Csx for x-mas and finally received City Navigator v8. I know, I should have purchased NT, but I was unaware that there was such a big difference in the file compression size (already opened so I can't return it). Garmin failed to point out this HUGE difference on their site. Since I just discovered this forum I learned that I should purchase a 2gb card to store all of the City Navigator maps and then some; I do a lot of traveling. Does anyone have a lead to purchase a 2gb card at a decent price?? The 1gb cards are super cheap comparitively. Thanks for the great info!!

Edited by scheister

I put a 2 gig card in my new 76CSx a few days ago and loaded the whole City Nv N.A. I can't get all of the US Topo West due to their maps being much smaller that the City Nv. 2025s the limit I'm told. So I guess I have about 360 or so Mbs to play with for something. City Nav works great. Found my first two caches today and got to about 10' of the first one and about 15' from the second. Couldn't be happier. Hope it isn't a fluke. Almost doesn't seem fair. I'm sure they aren't all going to be that easy.