Selling Coins

maggieszoo

I have come upon some hard times and need some fast money. How bad will I be hated/scorned/flamed for selling off my coins? I don't know if it will be through here or that auction site, but I really need to come up with $4,000 for my Clydesdale's vet bill. She has spent the last week at Ohio State U's vet clinic ICU. I'm happy to say that she will be fine, but now I can't afford to feed her! Her name is Bonnie.

Now then. My collection is about half trackable and half not. Most of the trackable half are activated. I'm guessing that I'm stuck with these? Can ownership be transferred?

What's the best way to go about selling them? If anyone is looking for something in particular, email me with an offer. No, I don't have a Moun10Bike version anything.

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but it sounds like a very worthy cause. I'll send an email with an offer on a few coins. Obviously I can't make a big dent in that amount myself, but I'm sure every lil bit helps.

Good luck, hope things turn out well for ya and your horse!

Glad to hear she's going to be ok. Sorry to hear about the ordeal, been there, but mine didn't get to come home.

Do what you need to to do, they are your coins and there are a lot more important things than worrying about what people here are going to think. She's family, take care of her and you first and foremost.

A word of caution though, you may want to edit your post before you get hit by the mods for talking about selling non trackable coins. As for selling them, I would say ebay, you'll likely get more money there.

Best wishes.

I'm glad to hear that Bonnie is okay and agree that there are many things more important than geocoins, health is one of them!

Trackable coins can be adopted by others using this interface.

eBay is the way to go for hard to find geocoins and even some not so hard to find ones if the right buyers show up. Some people have sold coins on these boards for a fixed price but you should know what they are worth before doing that.

Edited by Moun10eer

They are YOUR coins - so if you want to sell them then you should. No matter what the reason.

I only have about 5 coins where the person trading with me has asked that I never sell - so I repect their wishes. Otherwise, if the decision came down to sell my coins or face something more important suffering (family/pet/etc) I would sell. Flame or no flames.

Let me start this post out by saying that I hope things work out for the best for the original poster. I also want to make it very clear that I am not directing these comments toward any poster on the forum, but hopefully helping the O.P. and anyone else avoid a misunderstanding with selling their collection.

A pattern I've seen on the forum is that if a coin was made available for sale from the originator, there isn't a problem with reselling it. If a coin was only available through trading, and the originator never made the coin available for sale then they tend to not like to see it offered up for sale anywhere.

It might take a little bit more effort, but I would look into how the coin was originally obtained. If there is a "receipt" for it, feel free to put it up for sell.

If there isn't a receipt, contact the originator of the coin and find out what their preference is. There are many originators that have offered to buy back the coin for the sake of not seeing it up on ebay.

As for adoption of an activated coin, that is usually a simple matter. If the coin has any history of traveling, ownership may come into question. If a coin has any tracked history in it's logs, it may look like a coin that was meant to travel. Some buyers may not want to adopt a coin that has a history of traveling through caches that are not in their area as it looks like they may have snagged a traveling coin from a cache.

*By reciept, I mean that you have some means of showing that you purchased the coin, either by printout included with the coin packaging or paypal record or searching the forums and other websites for sale offers.

*By reciept, I mean that you have some means of showing that you purchased the coin, either by printout included with the coin packaging or paypal record or searching the forums and other websites for sale offers.

I understand the concern - but I don't save ANY of my receipts - none. Frankly, as much as I like coins, they are trinkets. To save receipts to establish the provenance of the item just doesn't resonate with me.

OT: I hope all goes well with your horse. Are you going to ebay the coins? If so, how will you identify them or what is your seller name?

Edited by ATMouse

They are YOUR coins - so if you want to sell them then you should. No matter what the reason.

I only have about 5 coins where the person trading with me has asked that I never sell - so I repect their wishes. Otherwise, if the decision came down to sell my coins or face something more important suffering (family/pet/etc) I would sell. Flame or no flames.

Couldn't have said it better LFD!

I'd like to see a list also, every little bit helps.

Edited by 57chevy

Glad Bonnie will be ok. You can't put a price tag on family "pets." For they are priceless. I remember when my dog needed sudden surgury for degenerative disks. It cost me about 4K in the end as well. I just charged it and it took a year to pay it off. I too didn't worry about how I was going to pay for it. We do what we have to for our animal family members as required.

Even those of us who have trade coins and don't sell them, the coins traded to you still belong to you. Once the trade is completed they no longer belong to the person who originally created them. In that respect, those can be sold as well.

There are a handful of people out there who will have a hissy fit if you sell their coins. It's to be expected. However, I don't feel you need to worry yourself about that. Since what they think isn't really important in the big scheme of things.

If you have time, as a courtiousy, email those non-commerical coin owners you have coins for and let them know your situation. I've found that about 98% will give you their blessing to eBay their coins. If they won't, offer to trade back with them and then sell the returned coin.

eBay is definitely the way to go. You'll maximize your money that way. Activated coins do very well too. Just make sure you clearly state in your auction copy which coins are activated and which are not. That way the buyer will be expecting to adopt the coins once they are in hand.

You may only sell coins that are geocaching.com trackable in the forums.

You may not list non-trackable coins in the forums.

You can adopt any trackable at www/geocaching.com/adopt .

You may take care of your horse, of course, and don't worry about opinions. Just leave the non-trackables out of the forums and you'll be ok.

There are a handful of people out there who will have a hissy fit if you sell their coins.

:D Is that better or worse than a conniption fit? :D

Oh and MZ if you need to e-mail me, mine has changed, just go through my profile and it'll get to me.

Edited by 57chevy

Read the fine print at the bottom!! Oh, I am keeping track of coins spoken for by emails, not this forum. And my paypal address is different from the addy I use here, so make sure you get a confirmation email about any purchase.

Maggieszoo’s coins for sale list

Trackable on GC.com

These are all activated and will need adopted. All have only been dropped once and I don’t think ever discovered or moved.

Northeast Ohio Geocachers—antique brass/bronze

ROT 13 coin club coin

First To Find coin club coin

Wisconsin Geocaching Association 2005 Whitetail deer on obverse—gold

Joelmart Don’t Fear the Muggles

Avroair

Caught Red-Handed

New Jersey Geocaching

Maryland Geocaching Society

Tennessee Geocoin 2005

Louisiana Geocaching 2006

Kansas KSWader Wizard of Oz

Benchmark Coin Club coin

Ghosts of Caching past Geocoin Club coin

Great Smoky Mountain Geoquest—gold

Utah Micro-copper

Team ole omi All in Fun—black nickel

Poison Ivy and Mosquito coin club coin

Buffalo Wings 2006—silver with white

Czechyourcache—antique silver

Bad Andy

Nebraska Geocorn 2006—silver

Oyster coin club coin

Can you see me now? March 2006 coin club

Team S&B No BS about it/ breast cancer awareness--antique brass

Mount McKinley 2005—brass

Mount McKinley 2005—silver

April 2006 coin club irises

May 2006 coin club shiny silver proof

European Union

Delaware 2005

Compass Rose 2005

Last Cache of the Day beer mug coin club

Satellite coin club red

Texas Bluebonnet

Ammo Can coin club

December 2005 coin club

Dressel Dragons

Screw Geocoins

Trackable, but not activated:

Fotomom—I couldn’t find the activation code

Buffalo Wings 2006-copper

Poison Ivy coin club

Ghosts of caching past coin club

Irises coin club

Celtic Dragon coin club –I have TWO of these

December 2006 coin club Alaskan look—I have Two of these

Wish You Were Here postcard coin club—I have TWO of these

Now for the fine print:

$2 for the first coin covers shipping, delivery confirmation and insurance. 50 cents each additional coin. If I feel I can afford to cover the loss of the coin, I will not pay the postal service for the insurace. It is a pain in the butt to collect. I will cover the loss personally. If you are paying more than I can afford to cover, I will purchase postal service insurance. I will ship internationally. Ask for rates.

No prices listed? Pay what you think the coin is worth. Be reasonable. These cost money originally. I am doing this to make money to pay the bills, not give away my treasures. I don't want to get into a bidding war, but in the case of two emails asking for the same coin on the same day, high offer gets the coin. If you have already emailed me about a specific request, it is reserved for you. Pay what you feel is right. I'm obviously not trying to make all I can or I'd list them on ebay. I need money TODAY, not 7 days from now when the auction ends, then allow 3 days for payment..... you get the idea.

Adoption process for activated coins could take a few days, depending on how many I have to do. Also, shipping may take a few days. I will most likely need to pick up some shipping supplies and then haul them to the post office.

At the same time as I am liquidating pretty much everything of value that I own, we have a mare due to foal any day, so we check on her every few hours, I am travelling 70 miles one way to see the sick mare, and working full time. Be patient. Thanks.

If you are not happy with your purchase for any reason, I will refund your purchase price. No flaming needed.

If anyone would like their personal coin from a trade back, let me know. That will take precedence over any purchase, but you'll need to let me know quickly.

There are a few more coins that I have received emails about. If the person doesn't take them, I will get them listed.

Thanks so much, everyone. I really appreciate all the kind notes I've received. Bonnie is on the road to recovery and should get to come home in the next few days. She'll have to wear a blanket for the rest of the winter, though. They had to shave most of her winter coat to be able to do ultrasounds and other tests.

Those of you with a special pet know that you'll pay anything to keep them well. Bonnie is only the third special horse I have been blessed with in over 30 years with horses. She was a rescue case and nearly dead when I got her. I wasn't looking for a Clydesdale, but she stole my heart the first time I laid eyes on her. If any of you have my personal coin, Bonnie is on the "tails" side.

Thanks again, everyone.

Of course I have other stuff to sell, ask for a list.

MZ, I can't afford to purchase any coins right now myself as I'm in somewhat the same position. Only for me, it's a cat who went to the vet 2 days ago and has alread racked up over $1000 in bills. He should be okay, but we're looking at another 4 days of hospitalization. Thankfully my horses are healthy (knocking on wood).

I just wanted to wish you well... I'm glad to hear that Bonnie will be okay and wish you the best with the foal.

~ChanceRider

Maggieszoo’s coins for sale list Updated!!

Trackable on GC.com

These are all activated and will need adopted. All have only been dropped once and I don’t think ever discovered or moved.

Northeast Ohio Geocachers—antique brass/bronze

wsconsin Geocaching Association 2005 Whitetail deer on obverse—gold

Tennessee Geocoin 2005

Utah Micro-copper

Oyster coin club coin

European Union

Delaware 2005

Last Cache of the Day beer mug coin club

Screw Geocoins

Fotomom—I couldn’t find the activation code

Poison Ivy coin club

Irises coin club

Celtic Dragon coin club

December 2006 coin club Alaskan look—I have Two of these

WOW, that is quite the dent that occured to your list!!!

How 'bout this one!!

Maggieszoo’s coins for sale list

Trackable on GC.com

Tennessee Geocoin 2005

Utah Micro-copper

Oyster coin club coin

European Union

Delaware 2005

Screw Geocoins

Poison Ivy coin club

Irises coin club

Even those of us who have trade coins and don't sell them, the coins traded to you still belong to you. Once the trade is completed they no longer belong to the person who originally created them. In that respect, those can be sold as well.

As others have said, glad Bonnie will be ok. But I just HAVE to comment on the quote above. It's amazing how things change when it's to pay for vet/family bills. Try selling a Moun10bike coin. Seems with all the threads I've seen, the comment above is not the standard way of thinking.

I personally agree with the comment, but there are many people out there who seem to think that even though they sold or traded their coin with someone else, it is still their coin. And Moun10bike is just the first to come to mind, I'm not singling him out, just the first in the mind syndrome.

I also have several coins I have traded for where the maker (not owner) asked me not to sell them. I have decided that if I ever need/want to get rid of my coins, I will post a list here first and give first chance to the maker of the coin to request it back. Why post the list here? Well, I can't honestly tell you who all I have had that request from first off, and secondly, email addresses change. I figure this would be the best location to get the makers attention.

I hope all turns out for the best for you and your family, but be aware that there are some people out there that will flame you for selling their coin, no matter what the reason

Many thanks to all who've bought coins. I still just can't believe the generosity of cachers. I know some of you have paid more than the going rate.

Bonnie gets to come home today, hopefully. The bill was $4k on sunday. I shudder to think what it will be today. It is worth it, though. She is such a sweetheart.

I have only a few coins left and I think I'll keep those. I may want to build my collection back up someday. Besides, they seem to be a good investment!

Well, Bonnie is home and doing well. Again, many thanks to all who bought. The final bill was right at $6k. Coin sales reached just over $900. That will go a long way toward paying the bills.

There are a few who have not paid that said they wanted coins. I'll send gentle reminders out over the next couple of days and if I don't hear from you, I'll assume you have changed your mind.

I have pretty much everything packed and ready to ship, so I'll start shipping today. I had to buy a few more packing materials, so there will be a few going out later.

I have had trouble with the adoption process. I'm not sure if it is a website problem or if I'm too stupid. If I haven't figured out what it is by the time you get your coins, you may need to try from your end.

Greets, I was one waiting on a email reply to a question never answered, , paypal sent anyway , Glad Bonnie is home, For the adoption process you have to use the TB number assigned through Groundspeak not the tracking number on the coin hope this helps and must be sent by you as the prior owner , Good luck to you and yours, Glenn :D

Greets, I was one waiting on a email reply to a question never answered, , paypal sent anyway , Glad Bonnie is home, For the adoption process you have to use the TB number assigned through Groundspeak not the tracking number on the coin hope this helps and must be sent by you as the prior owner , Good luck to you and yours, Glenn :D

I think the computer at work has been eating emails. I have been very careful to make sure I answer every message. I hate technology....except gps anyway!

Groundspeak number! Aha!! Didn't think of that. Now I have a project for at work tonight. First batch of coins went out this am. I'll try to get the rest packed and sent tomorrow. Also have to ship four sidesaddles and a riding habit!

Glad to hear Bonnie is home - that's the most important thing.

As many know, I'm against the practice of selling personal coins but I would sell my personal coin in a heartbeat if I needed the money.

My stance/opinion on this hobby doesn't come near the needs of real life.

Good luck for a speedy recovery.

As others have said, glad Bonnie will be ok. But I just HAVE to comment on the quote above. It's amazing how things change when it's to pay for vet/family bills. Try selling a Moun10bike coin. Seems with all the threads I've seen, the comment above is not the standard way of thinking.

I personally agree with the comment, but there are many people out there who seem to think that even though they sold or traded their coin with someone else, it is still their coin. And Moun10bike is just the first to come to mind, I'm not singling him out, just the first in the mind syndrome.

I also have several coins I have traded for where the maker (not owner) asked me not to sell them. I have decided that if I ever need/want to get rid of my coins, I will post a list here first and give first chance to the maker of the coin to request it back. Why post the list here? Well, I can't honestly tell you who all I have had that request from first off, and secondly, email addresses change. I figure this would be the best location to get the makers attention.

I hope all turns out for the best for you and your family, but be aware that there are some people out there that will flame you for selling their coin, no matter what the reason

One of the things that Moun10Bike does that I really like is that he ACTIVATES the coin that he trades with you. Then, he CLEARLY states that you may move, trade, or keep the coin. This should be standard practice for anyone that prefers their coin not to be sold in the future.

Personally, if someone trades a coin with me - then they own the one I sent and I own the one they sent.

When it comes to personal coins, I think a courtesy is to contact the person whom the coin is named for and ask them what they prefer. It should be pretty obvious on a personal coin whom it is named after. This is one of the reasons I am not a big fan of selling personal coins when they are minted. In my opinion, they should be a signature item and then you know where it came from (trade with the person themself).

I have sold, I think, two personal coins on eBay - in both cases they were coins that were offered for sale to the general public when they were released and I paid cash for them - so I didn't feel any additional steps were required.

I am very happy that the sale here raised money for a worthy cause.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

The first batch got mailed on friday. Our tiny little post office will only let you mail 6 packages at a time, then you have to go to the back of the line, so be patient.

I got packages mailed to: Ewa Beach HI, Marietta GA, Alberquickie NM, Sacramento CA, Fayetteville GA, and Canada (Whitebear). The rest that have paid will go out this am, unless I get stuck over at work.

The only payments or confirmation of sale I'm waiting on are:

Alice Band, KCOGRN, and WijDrie.

Thanks everyone!

The first batch got mailed on friday. Our tiny little post office will only let you mail 6 packages at a time, then you have to go to the back of the line, so be patient.

I got packages mailed to: Ewa Beach HI, Marietta GA, Alberquickie NM, Sacramento CA, Fayetteville GA, and Canada (Whitebear). The rest that have paid will go out this am, unless I get stuck over at work.

The only payments or confirmation of sale I'm waiting on are:

Alice Band, KCOGRN, and WijDrie.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the update, take your time. I look forward to the coins, and I hope Bonnie is doing well. :ph34r:

Thanks. Everything that is paid went out this am. I remembered to put delivery confirmation on this batch.

Yes, Bonnie is doing well. Now we are playing the "see how many ways we can spit out a pill" game. Did you know Clydesdales have little mustaches? They do. I have often wondered what they are for and have discovered that they are a genetic mutation enabling a horse to flick pills great distances using only the hairs of the mustache.

I wonder if Wafflesdad would notice if I used his new electric razor on Bonnie?

I am so glad all worked out well .

Our dog Bear is on a bunch of pills for the rest of his life & has become a master at spitting out pills. We found putting them in a favorite food works well but he even figured that out so now we grind them up & put them in yogurt,peanut butter or cottage cheese.Not sure if any of that would work with a horse...sometimes we need to get sneaky...lol