New Member/Addict... whatever

Syndam

I've been needing a new GPS for a couple of years now and I got one for Christmas. I was just planning on using it for hiking, camping and that sort of thing but... I hit my first Cache today and it was fun and I'm looking forward to looking for more. One of my friends has been doing this for a couple of years and I have always harass him about the lack of challenge the GPS must create. OK, so I was wrong. I consider myself to be pretty good with a compass and map, I might have been able to get to the same point without my GPS, but today I found out that the challenge starts after you have arrived at the "X" on the map. In all honesty, my first cache was in town in a forested park, so it was an easier one to find, but a great intro into this. I'm looking forward to heading out into the hills and mountains around here to challenge myself a bit more.

Just to pass on something I learned today. When looking for caches by yourself, take a camera. It gives you something to do while other non-geocachers are around. And you don't look so suspicious. Fortunately I had my digital camera with me today, if only I had remembered it while the first 2 groups where going by. :anitongue: I'm sure they where wondering what the heck I was doing loitering in the middle of a hiking trail...

I'm using a Garmin GPSmap76. Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

I also take my camera with me so I can photograph each cache victory. It also doubles as a "disguise."

Sometimes I get so excited by my find that I forget to take pics. :unsure:

This weekend as I was getting ready to search for a nearby cache in a park, a truck pulled up beside my car. A couple got out and they were hanging around only a few feet from the cache. I was pretending to take photos. They moved off in the direction of another cache. I figured they were thinking *I* was a muggle and went after the other cache. So I snagged the one nearby. A little later they came back and I noticed they had binoculars. Turned out they were birdwatching...looking for a pair of bluebirds. :( UNLESS...they were just telling[/] me that to cover up their real intentions. :(

Edited by PlantAKiss

Don't forget that (in a pinch) your GPSr looks alot like a cell phone to a casual observer...... :rolleyes:

Now thats a good one!

Until your real cell phone rings while you are talking to the gps, that or another geocacher comes up and askes how good the cell phone reception is on that garmin you are holding