Time to Increase the 2025 Segment Limit

segler999

Dear Garmin,

For the past about dozen months all of us users of your X models (mine is a 60Cx and I love it) have had to live with the 2025 segment limit if we want to load up the larger microSD cards with TOPO maps.

Come on, guys.

Time to increase the segment limit to some much larger value. It's just a programming change. Probably one number on a parameter list.

Come on. Get it done. We need it.

Thanks.

G'day

I am curious as to what advantages one expects from posting a feature request for Garmin or for that matter other manufacturer's products in a Geocaching forum? Do we expect the manufacturer's to monitor these forums?

Wouldn't it be better to take this up directly with Garmin?

Intrigued

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

It's just a programming change. Probably one number on a parameter list.

While it may be a simple programming change, we have no idea what the ramifications are. Upping the number may degrade performance or cause problems with routing or who knows what...

When these units first came out, the limit was just over 1,000. Users complained and Garmin quickly doubled the number. They could've easily quadrupled the number, upped it ten-fold or perhaps even removed the limit altogether. But the limit is there, and I'm sure there's a valid reason for it.

I am curious as to what advantages one expects from posting a feature request for Garmin or for that matter other manufacturer's products in a Geocaching forum? Do we expect the manufacturer's to monitor these forums?

1. Garmin do monitor this forum.

2. This is the hardware part of the Geochaching forum

But it hink its better if many posts request to supports@garmin.com

If more request a change, maybe Garmin may do something with it.

Interesting.

Sorry but the revelance of this point given my actual question is unclear.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

Yes, Garmin does supposedly monitor this forum. Yes, I also have submitted this request directly to Garmin several times. They say they are working on it. They have said this since April.

So, in the spirit of belt AND suspenders, I'm trying to air this issue here, too.

Because of the small segment size in the TOPO maps, microSD cards bigger than 512mb are a waste. With 1 gig and 2 gig cards out there, it's time for Garmin to change the firmware programming to permit more than 2025 segments.

Come on. Get it done.

Interesting.

Sorry but the revelance of this point given my actual question is unclear.

Regards

Andrew

I thought the same thing (since it was addressed "Dear Garmin") but I think he was just making a point.

On a related note:

[sarcasm]

Dear Comcast,

Why is my cable bill $15 more than it was last month? Can you please fix this?

Thanks!

[/sarcasm]

On a related note:

[sarcasm]

Dear Comcast,

Why is my cable bill $15 more than it was last month? Can you please fix this?

Thanks!

[/sarcasm]

Dear Propers,

We apologize for the error. Your cable bill should be $25 more than it was last month. Your next bill will reflect the proper amount, plus interest. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

-Comcast