Explorist 500 Compass & GEO Caching

My friend has a 500 and he downloads the waypoints from here.

When he brings them up to use he normally uses the compass screen when he gets close to the hide. Here is where the problem occurs. When he gets about a hundred feet from the corrodinates the cache emblem outside the compass rose disappears.

Is he missing a setup step or something?

Thanks in advance, we're kinda new to this unit.

I have never heard of that one. You'll often find that the suggested bearing jumps around a lot when you're very close (say 30 to 50 feet), but on my 500 the icon stays there until I cancel or replace the GOTO (at least I think it does...it's in my wife's car right now so I can't double-check). Does the compass pointer maintain the bearing despite the icon disappearing?

The only suggestion I can think of is to reload the firmware. Maybe somebody else will have some ideas.

My friend has a 500 and he downloads the waypoints from here.

When he brings them up to use he normally uses the compass screen when he gets close to the hide. Here is where the problem occurs. When he gets about a hundred feet from the corrodinates the cache emblem outside the compass rose disappears.

Is he missing a setup step or something?

Thanks in advance, we're kinda new to this unit.

did you load a route? I know when I am on a route, when you get within about 60-100 feet, it will move to the next location on the route??? Other than that, I'm not sure.

I have never heard of that one. You'll often find that the suggested bearing jumps around a lot when you're very close (say 30 to 50 feet), but on my 500 the icon stays there until I cancel or replace the GOTO (at least I think it does...it's in my wife's car right now so I can't double-check). Does the compass pointer maintain the bearing despite the icon disappearing?

The only suggestion I can think of is to reload the firmware. Maybe somebody else will have some ideas.

I don't think it retains the compass heading either so as ReadyorNot is suggesting maybe he IS loading a route to the cache. Using the Magellan Sportrak Pro I don't have that problem.

Now that the wife has given me a Meridian Color unit and reading here I think it might be the Routing situation.

BTW, thanks for the replies, I do understand navigation well as I had lots of it in the Navy but this was before the explodsion of GPS. Makes life very easy as long as we have electrons!

I plan to work with him on this on a more personal level and try to understand his GPSr unit requirements and functions as compared to mine.