Haunted cache sites

Scanlon

If you mean areas that are really haunted, no, there's no such thing as ghosts.

If you mean places wherew people like to pretend there be ghosties, yes. See this thread for details.

I've seen enough evidence to at least be open to the possibility that there's more than the eye can see around us. Do you believe wind exists? Where does your 100% certainty come from?

On topic: There are several "haunted" locations near where I live that I've been thinking of putting caches in. Trying to make it so they can only be visited at night though. Anyone done a night cache in a graveyard?

If you mean places wherew people like to pretend there be ghosties, yes. See this thread for details.

I suppose you have proof?

The burden of proof is on those who claim ghosts are real, to date, no one ever has, that by itself is proof they do not exist.

No. The burden of proof on a TOTAL NEGATIVE statement must logically be placed upon the one making the statement.

To prove your statement, you must either rule out ALL possibility that the affirmative can possibly exist or you must evaluate all possible cases in an infinite set of cases and determine that 0 out of infinity meet the criteria.

If anyone ever has ANY ghost sighting incidence that cannot be CONCLUSIVELY proven false, this must be taken as evidence (not proof) that there is a possibility that ghosts exist. Even ONE sighting with a valid possibility that it COULD have been a ghost then puts the burden of proof on you to test every possible case in the infinite set.

I would submit to you that there are MANY thousands of sightings that have not been proven to be hoaxes or otherwise discredited that COULD be most easily explained as legitimate hauntings. Occam's razor therefore would require that they be considered legitimate hauntings because that is the simplest explanation- until a simpler explanation is profferred.

Basically a statement that "there is no such thing" presupposes that you have evaluated every possible instance and that none of them either exist or that none of them are true. Have you done that? May I have your research please?

Let's keep to the topic of haunted cache sites rather than debating the afterlife here.

I've got a cache called "Witch's Grave." You can read about the site in "Weird Illinois." It's a good source for stuff like that.

This Cache definitely gave me the creeps...and I didn't read the story until after I did the cache!

Bret

The burden of proof is on those who claim ghosts are real, to date, no one ever has, that by itself is proof they do not exist.

No. The burden of proof on a TOTAL NEGATIVE statement must logically be placed upon the one making the statement.

To prove your statement, you must either rule out ALL possibility that the affirmative can possibly exist or you must evaluate all possible cases in an infinite set of cases and determine that 0 out of infinity meet the criteria.

If anyone ever has ANY ghost sighting incidence that cannot be CONCLUSIVELY proven false, this must be taken as evidence (not proof) that there is a possibility that ghosts exist. Even ONE sighting with a valid possibility that it COULD have been a ghost then puts the burden of proof on you to test every possible case in the infinite set.

I would submit to you that there are MANY thousands of sightings that have not been proven to be hoaxes or otherwise discredited that COULD be most easily explained as legitimate hauntings. Occam's razor therefore would require that they be considered legitimate hauntings because that is the simplest explanation- until a simpler explanation is profferred.

Basically a statement that "there is no such thing" presupposes that you have evaluated every possible instance and that none of them either exist or that none of them are true. Have you done that? May I have your research please?

Pure BS. You prove ghosts are real or my statement stands as fact.

Last warning. Take the existence/non-existence of ghosts discussion to another forum.

Bret

On topic :anitongue: I don't know, I've found several "haunted site" caches throughout the NE U.S. and Ontario. I haven't seen anything really special for the cache descriptions, other than hyperlinks to websites documenting the the belief that the particular place is haunted, which just takes some basic HTML skills. And if you want to spruce up your page a little with some haunted stuff, again HTML comes into play.

Would any cache reviewers out there approve of a night cache in a cemetery? (Assuming there are no violations of obvious cache placement rules)... There is a cemetery about 2 miles from my home that is listed on the most haunted Oregon locations.

Get permission from the cemetery. :anitongue:

Off Topic material has been edited out by moderator

This post has been edited by CYBret: Today, 07:47 PM

CYBret,

I'm sorry, I didn't see the first warning I guess I scrolled past it without seeing it. And I'd posted my response before I saw the second/final warning. Also if I may suggest/point out in regards to warnings that a lot of people read and post as they go instead of reading the entire thread and then posting.

So it is likely that someone can post without ever seeing any of the warnings.

Digital_Cowboy

I have a cache just outside the fence of a supposedly haunted cemetary - GCMB22

Most of the adults in the neighborhood say it's nonsense, most of the kids believe it!

I was in a cemetary in Atlanta with cacher Ladebear68 literally at midnight one Saturday when she screamed and started running to the car! I signed the log and went back to find her locked in the car! Shaken, she explained that she had seen a crypt lid move!

I said something comforting like "Oh Horsepucky, what a silly girl", then looked at my GPS for the next cache... it was totally dead! I had to go buy one at an all night WalMart to finish the trip!

Who knows?

Ed

Our entire town is noted as being one of the most haunted places in Texas; I'm considering placing some caches at some of the more notorious sites, if I can figure out a way to do it without interfering with our local living residents. Guess I could always plunk a cache down at our house, since I know for a fact that it's haunted (yes, wierd things happen here....)

I've seen enough evidence to at least be open to the possibility that there's more than the eye can see around us. Do you believe wind exists? Where does your 100% certainty come from?

Yeah, my certainty comes from the effects of the wind, the trees moving, papers blowing, im sure that there is wind HOWEVER, i do not believe ghosts can be classified in the same way because they have no effect, it is simply psychological, in the lower left part of your brain near the subdural hematomal membrane.

here are a couple of caches with "pretend" ghosts in the central Indiana area.

Haunted cemetary

Just far enough away to be listed (same cemetery- different cacher)

These legends are typical of Ichabod Gorey's caches- several in the area.

I am considering a midnight expedition for this one. It is on an open trail with no posted time limits and there are no real boundaries of the cemetery. I am a little unsure of the ethics of going there at night, but I have had some say there would be no problem... I'm sure others will disagree.

My pic posted in my log on "haunted cemetery" might show how some of these legends originate... I am curious what other unusual shapes/lights/movements might be seen under bright moonlight.

Well, I am not sure if the site is haunted by traditional ghosts, or rather simply haunted by about fifteen different species of the walking dead and hungry spirits, but. . .

a great many seekers (both finders and DNFers; many of the latter were never officially logged online) have reported that they hav had some very spooky experiences -- for some the worst in their lives -- at the ancient abandoned underground fort which is the site for our Psycho Urban Cache #10 -- Derelict Grunge Acropolis! Some of the tales reported by seekers have been truly amazing and spooky!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Alice's Grave in SC is one.

Crazy Cache in MA is another I've been to. It is a very sad and somewhat creepy place.

Devil's Tromping Ground is a third. It seems the spirits there can't keep away the litterbugs though. :laughing:

Crybaby Lane is a fourth. Another sad and creepy spot.

Seems to be a theme of circles in the dirt and mental hospitals here. :laughing:

Thanks for the one in SC. Might have to try that one next time I visit my friend in Pawleys.

Would any cache reviewers out there approve of a night cache in a cemetery? (Assuming there are no violations of obvious cache placement rules)... There is a cemetery about 2 miles from my home that is listed on the most haunted Oregon locations.

"A walk in the park - NC" is a cemetery night cache in the Springfield, MO area. At least I think that's the name of it...I don't have my caching stuff next to me right now.

ivylibra224

Michelle - I DO believe...I DO believe...I DO believe...

My Cache Across America Michigan hide and another in the same park are!! The park was featured on one of those ghost story documentaries (A&E or some channel)...I think it finished in the top 10 haunted parks or something like that!! Al Capone used the underground building as a speakeasy and a hideout for his trips between Chicago and Detroit! The park is McCourtie Park in Somerset Michigan.

Tod would know more, he saw the show and told me about it!!

My house has a few visitors from time to time...I knew it the day I bought it! One even "attacked" Tod for his calling them names...it was quite scary really!! One day, the floor and walls shook and there was such a noise that we thought there had either been an explosion or something BIG (like floorboards or support beams) had caved in in the basement...nothing out of order...and there were 4 of us standing right in a small group really close to where it happened...moved the floor at least a couple inches!!

I've seen a girl around 6 or so and Tod saw an adult male! Tod even took one home with him and his wife had to have an exorcism...true story!!

Back on subject....

We've been doing some investigation into a few places to get background...maybe we'll do a haunted series!!

Pure BS. You prove ghosts are real or my statement stands as fact.

"Facts" can be substantiated. You are speculating.

How very interesting!!!! I myself have been to McCourtie park several times and have several pictures of items beleived to be ...well...ya know...including one of the little girl. We had no idea of her age in the picture all we could see was in front a tree in the distance a small girl in a white style dress with light blue waist bow. If I try to enlarge picture to see better is just messes it up so for now, all you can focus on is the dress in the distance in front of a tree. I also have many better photos from there taken with my cell phone so they have not been altered in any way. We will continue to investigate there and move onto Hillcrest. :huh:

My Cache Across America Michigan hide and another in the same park are!! The park was featured on one of those ghost story documentaries (A&E or some channel)...I think it finished in the top 10 haunted parks or something like that!! Al Capone used the underground building as a speakeasy and a hideout for his trips between Chicago and Detroit! The park is McCourtie Park in Somerset Michigan.

Tod would know more, he saw the show and told me about it!!

My house has a few visitors from time to time...I knew it the day I bought it! One even "attacked" Tod for his calling them names...it was quite scary really!! One day, the floor and walls shook and there was such a noise that we thought there had either been an explosion or something BIG (like floorboards or support beams) had caved in in the basement...nothing out of order...and there were 4 of us standing right in a small group really close to where it happened...moved the floor at least a couple inches!!

I've seen a girl around 6 or so and Tod saw an adult male! Tod even took one home with him and his wife had to have an exorcism...true story!!

Back on subject....

We've been doing some investigation into a few places to get background...maybe we'll do a haunted series!!