Winter Camping?

Natureboy44

I used to go camping in the fall all the time. Everything you need for a few days on your back, using the surrounds, loads of fun and relaxation.

I've never gone in the winter, but i'd imagine it would be more like work than fun. Its hard to fit everything you need in one pack when your sleeping bag is so puffy, its bigger than your bag completely :laughing::laughing:

This must be a guy thing...I don't see too many women signing up. My boyfriend loves winter camping...I like camping, but if it is 30 degreees or below, its too cold for me :laughing: You all must have super powered internal heaters or something :laughing:

Edited by trowel32

This must be a guy thing...I don't see too many women signing up. My boyfriend loves winter camping...I like camping, but if it is 30 degreees or below, its too cold for me :laughing: You all must have super powered internal heaters or something :laughing:

Just good clothing.

Seriously, Skigirl has joined me on a few winter trips and enjoyed herself. I just had to get her a really, really warm sleeping bag and she's good to go.

also, you could consider a cabin, many cabin come with some type of heat like a wood stove....could get very toasty in there. I had one stove catch fire on top of that we were trying to dry out from the rain...it was soaked all the way through. also we had a cast iron stove starting to glow alil.........trust me you would want to open the door and few windows for some a/c in the winter...

The coldest I have ever gone was 17 degrees - New Year's Eve 2000 :laughing: I think I EVENTUALLY fell asleep, but boy was it cold. My sleeping bag is kind of bad though...rated for 20 degrees, but even at 30 degrees I am cold. Mainly, my face is cold but no way to keep that warm without suffocating :laughing:

There's some nice cabins in Baxter State Park in Maine, but you aren't allowed to winter camp there unless you have a group of four people...no caches there either, except for this one: Sights to Bewhole (sorry...had to get back on geocaching topic).

Edited by trowel32

Short notice. But I will be going on a short backpack next weekend 19-21. It will be on the AT in pa. from rte 309 to Bake Oven Knob shelter and back. We will be night hiking in to New Tripoli campsite friday night. Then go to Bake Oven Knob shelter Saturday and back to Rte. 309 Sunday. Long range forcast looks like we might have some winter weather. This will be about a 12 mile round trip hike. There are caches along the route to be had. If the weather is nice there are some nicve views to be had also. If interested let me know and I'll get more information to you.

Short notice. But I will be going on a short backpack next weekend 19-21. It will be on the AT in pa. from rte 309 to Bake Oven Knob shelter and back. We will be night hiking in to New Tripoli campsite friday night. Then go to Bake Oven Knob shelter Saturday and back to Rte. 309 Sunday. Long range forcast looks like we might have some winter weather. This will be about a 12 mile round trip hike. There are caches along the route to be had. If the weather is nice there are some nicve views to be had also. If interested let me know and I'll get more information to you.

A possibility. I'll know more as the weekend approaches.

Excellent choice TeamHopewell. Although there is not much of an elevation change on this stretch it is one of the rockiest and nastiest sections. It also has some good views. Wish we could join you, but it conflicts with other plans.

Waterboy With Wife