Time to divide this forum by nations ?

Qurius

I would like to have Nordic and baltic countries forum divided in sub forums for each country.

And the top forum to be for questions covering the whole area.

Here is a list of the countries that this forum supports today.

Estonia,

Latvia,

Lithuania,

Finland,

Norway,

Sweden.

Denmark,

Faroe Islands,

Greenland,

Aland Islands,

Iceland,

Ex: Norway - for post in norwegian language or for help in norway

Finland - for post in finish language or for help in finnland.

If you agree in this please post a reply on this post; indicating your country.

Happy new year

Edited by Qurius

If any change is to be made, the creation

of a separate Finnish group seems more

reasonable.

Care to elaborate?

Why are you suggesting this split?

Not that i suggested this idea, but I support the Norwegian/Finnish forumsplit so I'll answer to that.

I think, that there are _way_ to many post's that start with an english topic, description, and original contens, and then suddenly, someone replies in finnish, and the thread spinns of in a finnsish language after that.

To me, this seems _awfully rude_, especially to those who actually read the forums, but not the finnish language.

(Or maybe Estonian, pardon me, but I have no idea, I understand neither.)

To split the finnish group into it's one, or to get a Norwegian one is all the same to mee.

But I for one, think that something should be done about this, as I see it as a problem, and uncivilised, to other non-finnish speaking users.

Well, that was my 2 cts.

Edited by Thorminator

If any change is to be made, the creation

of a separate Finnish group seems more

reasonable.

Care to elaborate?

This is the traditional way to do this.

Roots back to USENET.

If one newsgroup got to large, or dominated by one

type of postings a split into two or more groups

was often the result.

Today we have one sub-forum for Nordic and baltic coutries.

Sweden, Denmark and Norway have their own forums in their

native language on non-Groundspeak servers. Finland does not.

We who do not read or speak finnish sort of drown inbetween the FIN-threads.

If the FIN were moved to another forum they get their own

playground, and the rest of us have a 'fresh' well known playground.

Doing it the other way around will only result in the danes, swedes and the icelanders

demanding their own forum.

That is the Wrong way to do it.

Norwegian, Swedish, Danish and to some extent Icelandic languages are

similar enough to be understood by the others.

Finnish and baltic languages are NOT.

So, split out in one Finnish/Baltic, and one Scandinavian/Icelandic forum.

IF a split is to be made.

I cant really see why qurius makes all this fuzz about it.

Whats the point?

hbrx.

Edited by hbrx

Why are you suggesting this split?

Geographically Finland is closer to Estonia than it is to Faroe Islands.

Not only geographically, but language-wise as well.

The finnish language belongs to the Finno-Ugric languages.

Norwegian, Swedish and Danish belongs to the Indo-European languages.

Read more about it here: Wikipedia: Finno-Ugric

You will note that part of Norway and Sweden are marked as partly-Finno-Ugric-speaking.

That is the Sami language. Spoken by less than 70000 people out of 13.5 mill (19 mill including Denmark).

Not understood at all among the majority.

So a split is based mostly on language.

hbrx.

If the FIN were moved to another forum they get their own

playground, and the rest of us have a 'fresh' well known playground.

Doing it the other way around will only result in the danes, swedes and the icelanders

demanding their own forum.

That is the Wrong way to do it.

Point taken.

With that in mind, I would support a movement of the FIN language to a separated group,

instead of creating a Norwegian one.

I second to the idea of creating a separate subfolder for us finnish speaking people. Two arguments:

( a ) It's far too easy simply to forget that this forum isn't solely for us finns, hence either by changing the language used from english to finnish in the middle of a thread by accident or just by dropping the FIN: prefix in the subject line.

( b ) By relocating all the existing and future finnish threads away from this forum it would apply a significantly less domestic and more international hallmark and thus giving much more space for real international relations in here.

I would like to have Nordic and baltic countries forum divided in sub forums for each country.

And the top forum to be for questions covering the whole area.

Geocaching forum in swedish

Geocaching forum in danish

Geocaching forum in norwegian

Geocaching forum in finnish

Geocaching forum in estonian

any other?

Regards

Gold-digger

2 other geocaching forums in norwegian

Geocaching forum in norwegian starte 1330 registed users

Geocaching forum in norwegian Gc forum 65 registed users

---------------------------------

we had this discussion 1 year ago also:

The old thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=140535

-----------------------------------------

My opinion is that Geocaching forums for geocachers shuld be availible at geocaching.com in their own native language.

My opinion is that Geocaching forums for geocachers shuld be availible at geocaching.com in their own native language.

Holy banana!

Are you serious?

hbrx.

I like bananas! Its a good meal in between searching for geocaches.

What hbrx wrote earlier about splitting up the forum seems to be the right thing to do. Like now, i suppose it would be to the benefit for the Finns and the others to make a separate space for them.

But does anyone in Groundspeak.com read this tread?

The problem as I have tried to fight before is that this is now a local forum for the FIN laguage in my oppinion.

So I support hbrx in moving the FIN local language to a separate forum

That seems to be the best Ideea

I like Pirka and Boretslaget :ph34r: but not reading finnish

Enyone in GC reading this thread ?

Why is FIN language a problem? Too bad you don't understand it as I don't understand norvegian. Still every nordic and baltic country has their equal right to write in their own language here by the current forum rules.

I don't like the idea that finns should leave this forum in some sub forum just because they have used their own language and that right. Maybe it should be just the other way. Or, why don't you just start to make some lively norvegian conversation here other than only trying to have Finns in their own forum. It makes me almost think that it's the only subject here you are having. By the way, you have pretty nice norvegian geocoin. I'm a bit jealous.

Agreed to the point that when here is english topic started don't change language in middle of it. Should it also have ENG at the start of it for a equality reasons? It just happens that in some ENG converstions here I have noticed that after a while there is only finns having conversations in english so it's just so easy to slip to own language. Still. Don't throw your bananas when that happens. We all make mistakes.

The problem as I have tried to fight before is that this is now a local forum for the FIN laguage in my oppinion.

So I support hbrx in moving the FIN local language to a separate forum

That seems to be the best Ideea

I like Pirka and Boretslaget :blink: but not reading finnish

Enyone in GC reading this thread ?

Why is FIN language a problem? Too bad you don't understand it as I don't understand norvegian. Still every nordic and baltic country has their equal right to write in their own language here by the current forum rules.

I don't like the idea that finns should leave this forum in some sub forum just because they have used their own language and that right. Maybe it should be just the other way. Or, why don't you just start to make some lively norvegian conversation here other than only trying to have Finns in their own forum. It makes me almost think that it's the only subject here you are having. By the way, you have pretty nice norvegian geocoin. I'm a bit jealous.

Agreed to the point that when here is english topic started don't change language in middle of it. Should it also have ENG at the start of it for a equality reasons? It just happens that in some ENG converstions here I have noticed that after a while there is only finns having conversations in english so it's just so easy to slip to own language. Still. Don't throw your bananas when that happens. We all make mistakes.

The main reason that it is moustly FIN speaking people posting here is that 90 % of the post is in finnish and thats why the Danes. Swe, Nor had to make a national forum

The problem with FIN aguage has been bouncing back to this forum since 2004 i belive and still wil be until a moderator decides to change things

Few years ago, when I started this common forum, I asked from many swedes, norwegians, estonians and other nationalities to join and start discussions here. But only Finns were interested, because we had no other place during that time. Everyone else preferred their own national forums elsewhere i.e. they had already their own forums. So that's the reason why we dominate here now.

If Norwegians want to split this forum, feel free to suggest that to Groundspeak. You just have to contact them, they don't follow these discussions by default.

Regards, Olli

Edited by Captain Morgan