With Respect to the Groundspeak Elders

First, allow me to wish everyone here a happy New Year!

Now.. my gripe.

Is there some kind of a rule against revisiting a topic in this forum?

It seems that this happens on almost every thread. Someone will post an interesting topic and a few posts later, one of the regulars will inevitably jump down their throat and state that "we've already covered that" and post a link to an old thread.

I have great respect for some of the experience and knowledge of some of the posters in this forum. Some of you have been around since they made the GPS signal available. I know I speak for myself and others when I say that I glean so much from your experience. But may I humbly ask some of you to please consider that these posted topics might be new to some, and probably most? Discussing it in real time, with current information, is much more desirable than weeding through an old thread.

Thank you for listening and go ahead and post the link where this was discussed before. :anibad:

Actually the Complaint Department thread can be found here.

I think a big key to it is perception...both on the part of the new cachers as well as the older cachers. What is often interpreted as "jumping down their throat and saying 'we've already covered that'" can often simply be a helpful link to information in an already existing discussion.

Bret

Thank you for listening and go ahead and post the link where this was discussed before. :anibad:

:ph34r::mad: lol ;):mad: I was thinking the very same thing half way through your post. I can see both sides of the argument. It is very annoying when people do that, but more than not, it turns out to be helpful. I think they are just trying to help ;)

It goes both ways. If you merely found that old thread and added to it they'd say something about you dredging up an old thread. You start a new one and they tell you it's been done before. Either we can end all discussion on these forums, or the people who are tired of hearing the same things can leave.

Ah, but they're still participating, so they're probably not tired of hearing the same old stuff. Pssst...just between you and me, pal: I think they just like to show off their years of experience. Don't tell anyone, but I hear they keep around a database of all their favorite old threads so they can whip out the links and impress everyone with their great expanse of knowledge :anibad: .

Cheers. Happy New Years Eve.

I wouldn't sweat it. In internet years,geocaching has been around a long time. You would have to search far and wide to find a topic that has not been discussed at some point! It would be almost impossible not to hit on topics more than once. Additionally, if we never hit on old topics, there would be very few new post. It is always a good idea to look for recent post, but short of that, I say post away. Personally, I like discussing both old and new ideas. A newer member may have a fresh perspective on an old topic.

Actually the Complaint Department thread can be found here.

I think a big key to it is perception...both on the part of the new cachers as well as the older cachers. What is often interpreted as "jumping down their throat and saying 'we've already covered that'" can often simply be a helpful link to information in an already existing discussion.

Bret

LOL! That's funny....Anywho. I'm not as old school as some, but i do see the same topic popup occasionally. I usually just copy/paste my old response into the new. Or re-type it. Depends on how long it is...:ph34r:

I think in most cases, it's for informational purposes so I wouldn't take it too hard. Worst case, bump it. We love things like that...:anibad:

--MGb

As someone that has been here longer than most...I don't mind the same questions coming up now and then. What we discussed years ago may not apply to today's discussion.

Also it dosen't matter how long you have been here....discuss what you want and don't be intimidated by those that have been here forever. You are as much a part of this forum as they are.

El Diablo

I'm one of "those posters" who post links to previous topics. I do it, not as an insult, but as an addtional reference. I often find that many of the past discussions contain valuable insight that is worth sharing again.

One a side note,

If cachers took the time to use the search function, about 75% of the posts would never be repeated. Examples include:

PMOC caches

Cheating

Who has found the most caches

You might be a geocacher if

Angst (all varieties)

GSAK Question

Question about paperless caching

What is the coolest cache you have ever found?

Why did they stop approving Virtuals?

and my personal favorites ;)

Lame Caches

Lame Micros

Numbers Game

Edited by Kit Fox

Consider the analogy. Ohio now has a smoking ban on public places, so that a Restaurant can not decide to allow smoking. (I don't smoke and don't want to smell it.) I believe that it's easy enough for the non-smoker to visit another bowling ally or another restaurant if we don't like the smoke.

Similar thing with new threads that rehash old topics. We can easily go someplace else, and re-reading old threads is not nearly as nice as opening up your own discussion. Let the new cachers have the same fun you had. ;)

New to the forums (or fairly new), I had no idea you could search out topics...probably 90% of the new users wouldn't know of it either!

Besides, I agree...I want to have answers to MY question which may be a repeat of someone else's, but might be a bit different too! AND if someone has posted answers to the old thread, they may not go back in to check if there is a new question being asked! The thread may go back to the top, that doesn't mean everyone re-visits it when it does!!

I'm one of "those posters" who post links to previous topics. I do it, not as an insult, but as an addtional reference. I often find that many of the past discussions contain valuable insight that is worth sharing again.

One a side note,

If cachers took the time to use the search function, about 75% of the posts would never be repeated. Examples include:

PMOC caches

Cheating

Angst (all varieties)

GSAK Question

and my personal favorites ;)

Lame Caches

Lame Micros

Numbers Game

Point well taken.

If new posters (myself included) would take the time to search a topic before posting or reposting it, they very well may find what they are looking for and not have to start a thread. From my limited experience, I agree there certainly seem to be some topics (I see a few on your list) that have been discussed to death and this must be pretty annoying to some to see them restarted again and again.

The fact remains that this is an evolving game/technology and often a year old discussion is not pertinent to what is happening today or as it was mentioned, fresh perspective is sometimes insightful and worth listening to. This is what I was asking the elders to consider.

As I gain experience here, I plan to walk my talk. If I see one of -those- topics, I will reply something like: You might want to check these threads for previous discussions on this topic, however, here's what I think. This is generally not the approach (or attitude) that I have seen by some elders in relation to topics that have been discussed before. Hence, my request for patience in this regard.

Text is not a good medium for having conversations. Subtle clues like body language and inflection are lost. Many people may be in somewhat of a hurry, and post a very quick, short reply, which may then be taken as being curt and angry, when it was never meant that way. Never assume someone is angry or anything else based simply on a short forum post. Linking previous threads is usually meant to be helpful, not spiteful. Unless, of course, there is a half-page rant about newbies reasking old questions. In that case, simply ignore the rant. It's not worth getting all worked up about.

But new members can save themselves and everyone else lots of angst and effort by reading the manual for their GPS or software and by searching old threads. Almost every conceivable question has been discussed ad nauseum, and answered from every imaginable angle. If, after reading the manual again, and searching and reading again, you still don't have an answer, then post your question. Of course, this advice won't be read, or taken, by the majority, so we'll continue to get weekly repeats, but that's all right. If you don't want to read the same questions again, then don't read them. Some days I don't. Sometimes I feel like being helpful, and some days I'm in a hurry and skip over lots of posts. If I'm not feeling helpful, I certainly won't take the time to make disparaging remarks about someone asking repeat questions.

Edited by NightPilot

Now.. my gripe.

;)B)Warning! Do not read further if you do not like revisiting a thought. ;)

;)B) I was just mentioning this to my son yesterday! Some do it nicely, some not so much, some not at all. Nicely would be appreciated as I hate reading not nice stuff. B)

Admittedly, some posts even I am getting tired of seeing and I haven't been here since geocaching began. B)

However it does seem that if we disallowed all new silly questions by new people, pretty soon there'd be nothing to discuss because honestly it's the "old" stuff repeated where I learn, the "oldtimers" favorite subjects often are fun but not enlightening to the sport for a newcomer like me.

And I want some of those silly frog eating popcorn things and there's another one I saw too that was cute and where do you GET them anyway?? And can I use them in another forum besides this one??? (My question of the day, bowing.. waiting for link)

Besides often those threads go offtopic and there's some amusing stuff before they get locked down or just die.

All that to just say, Amen brother!

Edited by laughingcat

Often a simple search of a topic will turn up all kinds of previous threads. When someone starts a new thread and posts a question such as "Has anyone been asked by the police what are you doing?", had they done a search before posting that question they would have found the answer. So the impression is - do they really want an answer to their question? Obviously not because a search would have answered it for them.

...I think a big key to it is perception...both on the part of the new cachers as well as the older cachers. What is often interpreted as "jumping down their throat and saying 'we've already covered that'" can often simply be a helpful link to information in an already existing discussion.

Bret

I second what that CyBret person said. And I third it. And I fourth it. And, it seems to me that there is another relevant point here as well: If a topic has already been covered quite exhaustively a number of times in at least several past lengthy (and wordy) threads, and particularly if one of those threads was active farily recently, a lot of people who are active on the forums simply do not want to have to bother responding once again to the same old thing, and instead, are likely hoping that you will simply join the most recent thread on that topic and continue the dialogue there.

If a topic has already been covered quite exhaustively a number of times in at least several past lengthy (and wordy) threads, and particularly if one of those threads was active farily recently, a lot of people who are active on the forums simply do not want to have to bother responding once again to the same old thing, and instead, are likely hoping that you will simply join the most recent thread on that topic and continue the dialogue there.

In the example I gave there were 3 threads on the same topic going on during the past month when the OP started a 4th with the same topic and there were numerous other related threads prior to the past month. A quick search by the OP would have found them.

And would have given much more information than what would probably result from a new thread. You get the benefit of all the input already given, which is not likely to be repeated. If you still have questions, then you can ask them in a new post in the old thread, and have better odds of getting an answer. One can always start a new thread, but if the goal is to get an answer, then a search, reading old threads, and if necessary a new post on an old thread is more likely to be productive.

Now.. my gripe.

It seems that this happens on almost every thread. Someone will post an interesting topic and a few posts later, one of the regulars will inevitably jump down their throat and state that "we've already covered that" and post a link to an old thread.

I have great respect for some of the experience and knowledge of some of the posters in this forum. Some of you have been around since they made the GPS signal available. I know I speak for myself and others when I say that I glean so much from your experience. But may I humbly ask some of you to please consider that these posted topics might be new to some, and probably most? Discussing it in real time, with current information, is much more desirable than weeding through an old thread.

Thank you for listening and go ahead and post the link where this was discussed before. :anitongue:

I've noticed that also from time-to-time. And have thought that instead of having the "old timers" or "elders" saying that a certain topic has been covered and then posting a link to the old thread. It would be better IMHO to maybe comment that the topic has been covered before and maybe including a link to the "old" thread. But to then also answer the new original posters question.

I'd also have to say that the "old times" or "elders" would do well to remember that there are now a couple of hundred thousand topics and posts. Of not only varying ages but of lengths, and the new original poster may have tried to see if the topic that they're interested in has been discussed, and because of the sheer volume topics/posts have given up and decided to post a "new" thread on it.

Digital_Cowboy

Team GeoBlast. I have been around a very long time and I quite agree with you. I never understood the aversion to going over something again. I always learn something new when topic are revisited. As for me, I'm willing.

EraSeek,

Not to mention that it is possible for a person to change their mind/opinion on a topic over time. Or the technology could also have changed from the time that the original thread had been started. And so the information may no longer be relevant. So on that basis I see no problem with re-visiting an "old" topic, no matter how long ago they may have been discussed.

Digital_Cowboy

This practice used to be named after one cacher who was known for doing it the most often. I'm withholding the name, as I haven't seen the term used lately, and I'm not sure the person was entirely happy with the association. But that person also made it clear that it was never done with bruskness or annoyance, at least when they did it. Often, the referenced discussions are lengthy, with many opinions, and it wouldn't be enough for one person to just give their own short answer. You can post your question and wait days as the discussion plays out, or you can look immediately at what's already been discussed. If you still have more to add, then you can add your thoughts to either thread.

I really think that here, it's meant to be a quick, short, friendly answer; in most other forums I frequent, you're more likely to get a sarcastic "Welcome to the forums, n00b, please use the search button next time" and get your thread locked, which I hate.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I second what that CyBret person said. And I third it. And I fourth it. And, it seems to me that there is another relevant point here as well: If a topic has already been covered quite exhaustively a number of times in at least several past lengthy (and wordy) threads, and particularly if one of those threads was active farily recently, a lot of people who are active on the forums simply do not want to have to bother responding once again to the same old thing, and instead, are likely hoping that you will simply join the most recent thread on that topic and continue the dialogue there.

Vinny & Sue Team,

That works well with a topic that is still ongoing, but what about a topic that has been "dead" for a number of years? As has been pointed out, IF one posts to it, they run the risk of having an "old time/elder" "jumping all over 'em" saying that they're dredging up an old and dead thread. So what is a newbie to do? As Team GeoBlast has pointed out it's really a "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" situation.

Digital_Cowboy

This practice used to be named after one cacher who was known for doing it the most often. I'm withholding the name, as I haven't seen the term used lately, and I'm not sure the person was entirely happy with the association. But that person also made it clear that it was never done with bruskness or annoyance, at least when they did it. Often, the referenced discussions are lengthy, with many opinions, and it wouldn't be enough for one person to just give their own short answer. You can post your question and wait days as the discussion plays out, or you can look immediately at what's already been discussed. If you still have more to add, then you can add your thoughts to either thread.

I never minded the term "markwell" as long as it was done in the manner that I always linked the old posts: not to terminate the discussion because it had already been discussed, but rather to make reference to the old posts that had discussed the information so that I just didn't have to repeat my old posts again.

Examples include:

PMOC caches

Cheating

Angst (all varieties)

GSAK Question

and my personal favorites :anitongue:

Lame Caches

Lame Micros

Numbers Game

You skipped my favorite:

How do I change my username?

;)

I think it all depends on how its done. Providing a link to previous threads can be helpful. Many topics have been throughly hashed out before and there is a wealth of information in older threads. I see nothing wrong with linking to them. There is a right and wrong way to do this:

Wrong: "Hey Bozo, this has been discussed a thousand times and if you would have used the search engine you would have found this discussion."

Right: "We had an extensive discussion on this subject last month and you will find a lot of good information here."

Of course some people will take offense to both, but you can't please everybody.

What I really dislike are the "Here we go again :anitongue: " comments and those idiotic popcorn eating icons. They add nothing to the topic.

i'd agree that where an earlier thread has some usefull and relavent information then it's great to get a link to it.

but just trying to stop any discussion because it's gone on before? all i can say is that the people complaining must live in quiet houses. :anitongue: i mean no discussions as to what you did that day or what you fancy for dinner. been there done that.

and i'll assume that you have all got just the one child? :signalviolin::anitongue:;)

Team GeoBlast. I have been around a very long time and I quite agree with you. I never understood the aversion to going over something again. I always learn something new when topic are revisited. As for me, I'm willing.

I see it as like reading the Bible. Each time you read it, it is the same words. What has changed is your perception and understanding, allowing you to gain more insight each time.

Let's revisit when we need. Those whom it bugs so badly should have opened another thread.

I think it all depends on how its done. Providing a link to previous threads can be helpful. Many topics have been throughly hashed out before and there is a wealth of information in older threads. I see nothing wrong with linking to them. There is a right and wrong way to do this:

Wrong: "Hey Bozo, this has been discussed a thousand times and if you would have used the search engine you would have found this discussion."

Right: "We had an extensive discussion on this subject last month and you will find a lot of good information here."

Of course some people will take offense to both, but you can't please everybody.

What I really dislike are the "Here we go again :anitongue: " comments and those idiotic popcorn eating icons. They add nothing to the topic.

Briansnat,

Very well said, can't the forum owners limit the smilies/icons that are used in post? And there are plenty of people who sadly abuse 'em.

Digital_Cowboy

I never minded the term "markwell" as long as it was done in the manner that I always linked the old posts: not to terminate the discussion because it had already been discussed, but rather to make reference to the old posts that had discussed the information so that I just didn't have to repeat my old posts again.

I thought that was the case. Thanks! :anitongue:

As someone that has been here longer than most...I don't mind the same questions coming up now and then. What we discussed years ago may not apply to today's discussion.

El Diablo

Maybe it's not a problem of it being covered from a good while ago, but is a problems due to the other three current threads on the same topic.

I will often reference another older post but only in the spirit of being helpful and to point to possible "solutions" or background info that has been hashed out before. I try to never be annoyed at any other poster - I simply try to point out existing discussion material. Of course things change and the world becomes altered thus needing to re-start a discussion. However, many times I see the same arguments, answers, rejections, insights and thoughts restated month after month. In those cases, I try to point out the fairly recent and relevant discussion.

Perhaps a tutorial on using Groundspeak's Search could be pinned - I for one can find anything with Yahoo or Google but with the Groundspeak forum search have to wade through tons of irrelevant posts - it's such a PITA that I don't use it.

In fact I can often Google what I want to find on Groundspeak much easier than use their own search engine!

I have always thought those who 'Markwell' other threads were very helpful, I just haven't figured out how to do it - by the time I find the thread(s) to link to the topic has moved on.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I agree with the OP.

Some regulars love to post a link and do it in a way that comes across like "you lazy fu*k, why the h*ll couldn't you look this up yourself you f**c**g moron".

Others post a link in a way that says, "this topic does come up a lot and you can find a lot of good history here". Markwell is a good example of this type of post.

I resent bieng called an old timer , or an elder on this topic.

We have rights too.

We have the right to tell you to look it up so we don't have to.

Because we can't remember what the topic was about to start with.

:laughing: I wish i could use the search feature to find my hiking stick thats out there leaning on a tree somewhere.

One a side note,

PMOC caches

Cheating

Angst (all varieties)

GSAK Question

and my personal favorites :laughing:

Lame Caches

Lame Micros

Numbers Game

However in my humble opinion it is easier to just post a new topic to ask a question then to try figure out the search criteria for forum software.

Of course I'm one of those that gets real tired of those that feel the need to always jump down someone throat by posting that it is an old topic. And when they do I don't want to spend the time wading through pages and pages of posts so I rarely will post a new topic. For me it is easier to post a question in off-topic where someone will cheerfully answer my question without making me feel like I'm wasting band width.

What I really dislike are the "Here we go again :laughing: " comments and those idiotic popcorn eating icons. They add nothing to the topic.

:laughing:

Sorry couldn't help myself. :laughing:

Now.. my gripe.

:laughing::laughing:Warning! Do not read further if you do not like revisiting a thought. :laughing:

And I want some of those silly frog eating popcorn things and there's another one I saw too that was cute and where do you GET them anyway?? And can I use them in another forum besides this one??? (My question of the day, bowing.. waiting for link)

Besides often those threads go offtopic and there's some amusing stuff before they get locked down or just die.

All that to just say, Amen brother!

I know this is going to open a floodgate of smilies, but I like em jumping0006.gif

myspacesmilies

yes, they are usable in pretty much all instances, just a matter of knowing what type of link to use depending on the coding. If you dont know, use preview options if possible to make sure the link is working.

for these forums, use the "insert image button" and copy/paste the url from the smilie you want.

cool0016.gif

personaly, I like old threads linked when its about information or has good pictures. Not just a chatty, go no where thread.

Edited by mudsneaker

Perhaps a tutorial on using Groundspeak's Search could be pinned - I for one can find anything with Yahoo or Google but with the Groundspeak forum search have to wade through tons of irrelevant posts - it's such a PITA that I don't use it.

In fact I can often Google what I want to find on Groundspeak much easier than use their own search engine!

I have always thought those who 'Markwell' other threads were very helpful, I just haven't figured out how to do it - by the time I find the thread(s) to link to the topic has moved on.

AMEN! I found this thread while looking for info on adopting caches.