Pop Quiz Hot Shot

mgbmusic

You're at work. It's slow. Your boss asks you if you want to head home early. You say yes.

You walk outside, it's high 40's, low 50's, drizzly. Not too bad.

Your home needs some cleaning. Your wife is at home, presumably doing some of that cleaning. You have house guests coming over tonight.

You look longingly at your cache bag sitting in the back seat.

What do you do?

Me personally, I went home, but mostly because I didn't qualify for the last part (cache bag w/ GPS was at home, D'oh!) but if it had been there....I would've been torn...

--MGb

Happy New year, assuming of course you follow the current Gregorian calendar...

You're at work. It's slow. Your boss asks you if you want to head home early. You say yes.

--MGb

...You walk outside, it's high 40's, low 50's, drizzly. Not too bad...

I go home....I hurt in too many places....

Vern...

Your home needs some cleaning. Your wife is at home, presumably doing some of that cleaning. You have house guests coming over tonight.

What do you do?

Me personally, I went home, but mostly because I didn't qualify for the last part (cache bag w/ GPS was at home, D'oh!) but if it had been there....I would've been torn...

--MGb

Shoot the hostage. :ph34r:

I would probably catch one on the way home, but then go help. :anibad:

Shoot the hostage. :anibad:

My first thought after reading the topic :ph34r:

I would go caching. If the wife doesn't know you were able to leave work early, you already have an alibi :mad: If she asked you what you are doing when logging them online, just tell her that you forgot to log these from the other day. Or you can just wait until she goes to bed.

In my case, i'd go caching. My choice would be easy, no wife and no friends to have over. Problem solved :mad:

We keep the caching maps and bag in the truck at all times:

We got up Dec 30th. Had geocacher friend's family of 4 people coming over Dec 31st and our house was trashed. We are competing with the wife/kids of said family- fam who finds the most by midnight New Years Eve has to take the winner's family out to eat at a restaurant without a drive-thru. I mean the house was totally trashed. Ah, what the heck....the mess ain't goin' anywhere and if we aren't in the house it can't get any worse, right?

We went caching. We also won by 16. I'm thinking Texas Roadhouse, personally. However, my husband was REAL UNHAPPY with me & the kids for taking the whole day to do this. We left the house at 8:15am and got home at 6pm and "bagged" 19 caches for the day. It helps that I know all the cemeteries in the county we live in and all caches in our friendly little game had to be within Clark Co., IL or else they didn't count.

On Sunday I begged forgiveness from hubby, got the house cleaned up in 6 hours and friends came over an hour later. He's happy the house is clean again and I am tremendously happy that we beat my friend into the ground! She's so disgusted with us (in our defense we only go caching one day a week). I keep plat books in my trucks that I have marked the approx location of all the caches in Clark Co so that I can drive within sight of them. Cuts travel time to a bare minimum which is important if you have to take a quick side trip to log only one cache during a parts run for the farm.

I was going along fine until I saw that there were going to be guests. On a normal day I'd definitely obsessively cache. But I have this *thing* about making sure my house is at least usable for guests. It's probably because I'm a woman. ;) If the house was ok, I'd probably do a few. :anitongue:

Edited by Ambrosia

I couldn't get past the part where my wife was home cleaning ;):signalviolin::D:anitongue::anitongue:;)

I can't catch my breath!!!!

That was funny!

I would have had the house clean a couple days before the guests were expected so my wife wouldn't be stressing over it. She is the procrastinator and would worry about it up until the very last possible second and if anything comes up in the last second then it spins out of control. Thankfully opposites attract, I would have had the sheets clean and guest room clean by Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday would have been picking up miscellaneous items, sweeping and dusting. Bathroom cleaned and any other final cleaning Thursday so I could have gone caching on Friday when I got off work early and made it home in plenty of time to polish up for company.

My wife cleaning :o that just kills me :wub:;);)

That was funny!

She is the procrastinator and would worry about it up until the very last possible second and if anything comes up in the last second then it spins out of control.

Yeah see that's the problem...we're both procrastinators....And if we had the house clean a couple of days before the guests, there's just no guarantee it'd stay that way....:anitongue:;)

--MGb

I was going along fine until I saw that there were going to be guests. On a normal day I'd definitely obsessively cache. But I have this *thing* about making sure my house is at least usable for guests. It the house was ok, I'd probably do a few.

Oh definitely. The guests is the kicker. No guests, I'm running a PQ then and there :anitongue:. I'd even call her to let her know where I'd be (safety net in case I don't come home and I'd lying dead int he woods somewhere).

--MGb

That was funny!

She is the procrastinator and would worry about it up until the very last possible second and if anything comes up in the last second then it spins out of control.

Yeah see that's the problem...we're both procrastinators....And if we had the house clean a couple of days before the guests, there's just no guarantee it'd stay that way....:anitongue:;)

--MGb

One great thing about procrastination - you always have something planned for tomorrow!

(snip)

I would have had the house clean a couple days before the guests were expected so my wife wouldn't be stressing over it. (/snip)

Do you have a brother?

:anitongue:

Nope, no brother but looking at how my sister turned out there is no telling what a brother would have been like. My sister runs at about the same speed as my wife. When we have plans with her, my wife always tells me that we do not have to be in a hurry because my sister will not be ready. And what drives me crazy is that she is always right. No matter how late we are my sister is later :anitongue:

My sister cleans at least twice a year :signalviolin: She pull the trash can to the front door and starts filling it up. There is nothing I hate worse then going over there and seeing all the stuff I have given my nephews in the trash??? I have to go through to bag stuff up for the Salvation Army.

Some times I am amazed that we were raised in the same house ;)

(snip)

I would have had the house clean a couple days before the guests were expected so my wife wouldn't be stressing over it. (/snip)

Do you have a brother?

:anitongue:

Nope, no brother but looking at how my sister turned out there is no telling what a brother would have been like. My sister runs at about the same speed as my wife. When we have plans with her, my wife always tells me that we do not have to be in a hurry because my sister will not be ready. And what drives me crazy is that she is always right. No matter how late we are my sister is later ;)

My sister cleans at least twice a year :anitongue: She pull the trash can to the front door and starts filling it up. There is nothing I hate worse then going over there and seeing all the stuff I have given my nephews in the trash??? I have to go through to bag stuff up for the Salvation Army.

Some times I am amazed that we were raised in the same house ;)

That's funny. Whenever my wife and I are getting ready to go somewhere, she always complains that we're gonig to be late. My theory towar that is: I don't have to be ready on time, I just have to be ready before she is...:signalviolin:

--MGb

Christmas day I'm driving from Nashville, TN to St Louis, MO... about 360miles door to door. It's about a 5 - 6 hour trip depending on weather and traffic (Christmas day it was raining from Nashville, to E. ST Louis). I pull over in MT Vernon, IL to stop for gas, food and to stretch my legs. Still raining... but I notice that there are several caches in the immediate area. I DNF 3 and find the fourth... drop off a TB. All-in-all it took me about an extra 45 minutes.

An hour later my wife calls wondering where I was. I tell her that I stopped for a quick cache and food... she is absolutely p'd. Tries to guilt-trip me by telling me that my priorities aren't straight because it is our sons first Christmas. I pull into the house 45 minutes to an hour after I would have if I hadn't stopped and my SIL tell me to run... run fast... my wife doesn't speak to me for 3 hours and is still p'd to this day.

My SIL, BIL and MIL all think she's nuts which of course makes her even more upset.

So... in keeping with TheAlabamaRambler's idea... I think I'd head home and help clean the house :anitongue:

This is easy. Call the friends and tell them the you/wife/kid/dog is sick at home and plan for another night. Then go caching.

Well, considering this happened on NYE, I'd have to plan for Dec 31, 2007. Prolly wouldn't go over too well..:D

BR - There's so much that can delay a 5-6 hour trip, honestly, I prolly wouldn't have mentioned the caching...:D And besides, baby's first xmas is the perfect xmas to be late for....not like he's gonna remember.

--MGb

P.S. Congrats on the new arrival. We just celebrated our first xmas w/ our little one...BTW: here's his TB: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=650972

What do you do?

--MGb

This is a no brainer, I'd probably actually come home a little late complaining about the overtime.

Umm, we have someone clean the house, we both work too much, including on New Year's Eve.

We travel to the inlaws for Xmas, so they need to clean up for me if they care to. I get to find a few caches along the route on the way home. And I have started the past four years going after a really nasty multi cache that hasn't been found in a while.

So I guess E) other would be my answer to the poll.

Since when is it HER job to clean the house when HE was the one that trashed it in the first place.

Anyway, since I'm the female 1/2 of this team - I GO CACHING !! I also keep most of my gear handy, depending on the temperature outside. Since I work nights in Iowa, it's supposed to be cold out now, I don't want my GPSr sitting in the freezing cold so sometimes I have to go back home and get it. My husband likes to go caching also but I'm the one that seems to take off and go alone when he is working and I'm supposed to be taking care of the home front.

So, go caching and don't worry about it. :unsure:

Edited by mrring

This is easy. Call the friends and tell them the you/wife/kid/dog is sick at home and plan for another night. Then go caching.

Well, considering this happened on NYE, I'd have to plan for Dec 31, 2007. Prolly wouldn't go over too well..:unsure:

BR - There's so much that can delay a 5-6 hour trip, honestly, I prolly wouldn't have mentioned the caching...:( And besides, baby's first xmas is the perfect xmas to be late for....not like he's gonna remember.

--MGb

P.S. Congrats on the new arrival. We just celebrated our first xmas w/ our little one...BTW: here's his TB: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=650972

Yep... hindsight being what it is... I don't think I'd have mentioned it. And I agree that the little guy won't remember this one, besides... when I did get there, he was sound asleep and had been for most of the morning.

I like your little one's TB... I guess new fathers think a lot alike here's mine :(

Happy Birthday to Me!

I go home and take over the cleaning and cooking, tell her to go take a long hot bath!

It's how one stays married and, uh, active for 35 years!

Now, on a normal day, when she's not cleaning and expecting company - I'm gone caching!

Ed

Agreed....

But I would at least ask if she wanted to go caching with me as she has been known to be as addicted as I am.