Best geocaching software for Windows Mobile SMARTPHONE (with internet connection, no touch-screen)

Train_Man

Hi,

I just got a T-Mobile Dash that runs Windows Mobile 5 smartphone edition (pocket PC software does not install because the phone does not have a touchscreen. Must be software made for Windows Smartphone.)

What is the best geocaching software that i can install on this (preferablly free, absolutely no monthly fees)?

I'd like to have a map that downloads live from a server and displays geocache symbols. When you select one it shows you info on it. Thats all I'm looking for. Anyone have any suggestions?

Did you ever find a good program that would work with your Dash? I just got the latest version of the Dash with WinMobile 6 on it and I'm looking for something that would work there.

Thanks

Hi,

I just got a T-Mobile Dash that runs Windows Mobile 5 smartphone edition (pocket PC software does not install because the phone does not have a touchscreen. Must be software made for Windows Smartphone.)

What is the best geocaching software that i can install on this (preferablly free, absolutely no monthly fees)?

I'd like to have a map that downloads live from a server and displays geocache symbols. When you select one it shows you info on it. Thats all I'm looking for. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have been using CacheMate on my WM6 BlackJackI with a BT GPSr puck for about 8 mos. It works great. I set up my pocketcaches weekly, download them to the BJ, import the GPX file into CachMate, and I'm on my way. It has a navigation option that will show your heading and distance to the cache. Pretty sweet for $8. Oh, and upgrades are free :(. It would be nice if it had map overlays, but maybe in future upgrades. Check it out: www.smittyware.com

My BlackJack II is turning into a nice little geocaching device. Brian just released Cachemate for Smartphones v1.0.4 and has supplied a export plugin for OziExplorer WPT file exports that can be loaded into gpsVP for viewing on a map. Also, the Garmin Mobile XT software is available for these devices as well and you can export caches from GSAK into a format that MapSource can load them into that application as well.

We've also been discussing, in the Smittyware forums, a way to create a plugin for Cachemate that would allow you to dump a single cache at a time into Google Maps Mobile in the form of a Contact in your Contacts database that could be loaded into GMM. That one isn't there yet but would be a cool feature to use along with the CacheNav plugin.

Mojoski

I have been using CacheMate on my WM6 BlackJackI with a BT GPSr puck for about 8 mos. It works great. I set up my pocketcaches weekly, download them to the BJ, import the GPX file into CachMate, and I'm on my way. It has a navigation option that will show your heading and distance to the cache. Pretty sweet for $8. Oh, and upgrades are free :grin:. It would be nice if it had map overlays, but maybe in future upgrades. Check it out: www.smittyware.com

I have an HTC kaiser w/ actual gps built in. Ive been using cachemate as well, it is nice to go right to the site from a file etc. However ive been having a hell of a time w/ lag. If i set the compass to magnetic north it sometimes doesnt update very well. Even if im 3d fixed and tracking 10 birds.

Anyone have any other freebie type programs that work for winmo 6?

I have an HTC kaiser w/ actual gps built in. Ive been using cachemate as well, it is nice to go right to the site from a file etc. However ive been having a hell of a time w/ lag. If i set the compass to magnetic north it sometimes doesnt update very well. Even if im 3d fixed and tracking 10 birds.

Anyone have any other freebie type programs that work for winmo 6?

I'm currently trialing GeoScout Absolutly excellent app, includes maps and full paperless caching. Full version only £20 about $35. got to www.navstation.com

* Download cache details direct from www.geocaching.com (requires suitable internet connection).

* Import cache details from gpx or loc files.

* View cache details.

* Show decrypted hints at the tap of a button.

* Add secondary waypoints for navigating to multi-stage / offset caches.

* Maintain record of caches you have found.

* Works with any NMEA compatible GPS, including BlueTooth devices.

* Sophisticated GPS screen showing position and satellite status.

* Navigate mode shows bearing and distance to cache waypoint.

* Conversion of waypoint locations between lat/long, OSGB, UTM, MGRS etc.

* Travel bug management features.

NEW! Version 1.5 now includes:

* Map view with background images.

* Cache and travel bug log management facilities.

* Spoiler image download.

I love BeeLineGPS but I think it would need the touchscreen, There is also cachemate

Hi,

[Edited by moderator to remove references to unauthorized applications.]

Edited by Keystone

I have a Windows SmartPhone (one of the new HTC Ozones with Windows Mobile 6.1, no touchscreen), but have been unsuccessful in having GeoScout run on it. It requires the .NET Compact Framework v3.5, but even after installing it GeoScout crashes with an unhandled exception. After doing some investigation, I haven't seen the issue anywhere else. However, it's strange that I would have the problem on a brand-new smartphone that was just released a month ago.

I've tried CacheMate, and I can report it's been working fine on the Ozone.

I recently bought an HTC Imagio running WM6.5. I tried a bunch of apps and really wasn't very happy with the interface on any of them until now. I just installed [Edited by moderator to remove references to unauthorized applications.] this morning. Totally flawless integration with my phone, simple search options, and it's like an extension of geocaching.com in how easy it is to retrieve cache info and log your visits. Even has the camera option built in.

I highly recommend giving it a try.

Edited by mtn-man