New to geocaching

N.S. Gal

Hi, I'm trying to decide what unit to but, and not really sure. I don't want to spend more than about $150 but I want something that will be good for geocaching but is also easy to use, I've used a Garmin 12 once or twice before but not a lot. I would really appreciate any advice, Thanks

Hi, I'm trying to decide what unit to but, and not really sure. I don't want to spend more than about $150 but I want something that will be good for geocaching but is also easy to use, I've used a Garmin 12 once or twice before but not a lot. I would really appreciate any advice, Thanks

Hi and welcome to the addiction... I mean...er... game. My first unit was a Garmin Legend and I still have it though it's been relegated to backup status. You can get a Legend for around $120.00 new now. We here at Team Neos think it's about the best entry level GPSr going. Others may have different opinions (check local listings) but the Legend has the qualities you seek. Whatever you decide on, happy caching.

Too bad you missed out on the $50 mail in rebates from Garmin (I think it ended, receipts must be dated on or before 12-31-06, rebates needed to be mailed before 1-31-07). I have a Venture Cx from Wal-Mart $198.87 (- $50 mail-in, and it is right in your budget). Out of the box I receieved 4 sat signals inside my brick home. I have used it to increase my find total 400% (from 1 to 5).

I currently own an eXplorist 210. This unit is great for geocaching as it has all the functions you will need. Also, they just updated the unit via a free download from Magellan. I would highly suggest you get this unit if you are unsure. Just my opinion. By the way.. my 60cx should arrive tomorrow!!

Good luck and happy caching.

JTA

Hi, Thanks

I got the Legend and it works great. I'm hoping to get out this weekend. I just wanted to introduce myself as well. I'm from Nova Scotia Canada, and I'm 20, and I'm in my third year at St. Francis Xavier University. Anyway thanks again for the info.

If you are like the rest of the northeastern US and eastern Canada, you are getting really lucky with warm, snowless (or almost snowless depending where you are) weather and don't have to wait to start until spring when the caches won't be snow-covered (yes, people do cache in the cold and snow, but the snow cover can be a challange for newbies to find caches). Good luck!

Actually if you do cache in temperatures under 40F (Or about 5C since you use Celsius in Canada), during those periods you should splurge on Energizer Lithium AA batteries for your GPS. In cold weather normal batteries may not perform as well so your GPS may get so-so satellite reception or bounce your position more.

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa