Who gets to log?

Zanesters

As long as the friend isn't wandering about looking for another close cache or sitting in the car...YES!! Make them be involved in all the fun, wouldn't want anyone to miss the fun this sport offers!! ;-)

A group effort is GREAT actually!! I just took a group of friends (old and new) out on a tour of a few of our hides...helping one get to her milestone #800 find! We had a great time, laughing and swapping "cache" stories (which I have begun to learn are along the same line as fishing stories)...GREAT FUN INDEED!! One would find the cache and then just step back and let the rest search a bit too!!

Caching with friends and family are the best way to cache!! Meeting NEW friends while on the hunt is GREAT too!!

When I go caching with my friend we sign the log with Team RDD & SS then when we get home we log the find under our own account, that way we can keep up with what we have found together as a team as well as one on one :anitongue: seems to work pretty good for us.

Cya on the trails,

Rusty Da Dog

Charleston, AR

1/2 of Team RDD & SS

Who gets to log a find when there are two members searching together. I normally search with my kids, but now a friend is interested in starting and wants to search together once in a while. Do we both get the find?

Thanks

If your friend is actually involved in the hunt and signs the logbook, then absolutely yes. I had a situation where I turned my in-laws onto caching. The first couple of caches they just rode along and didn't sign. Once they became involved, they actually went back to those caches and signed them (with no nudging from me) and then logged them online.

This is taken directly from the geocaching.com FAQ. Although in another FAQ on the site, the taking and leaving is clearly optional. The logging is NOT optional.

"What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook"

I recently took the son of a freind along (he's 17). He had a Geko and was learning how to use it, but each of the logs I signed "and freind". He really got into it, so at the end of the day, he created an account, and lo and behold, a new cache showed up within 1/2 mile. We found it, so his first "legal" find was also a FTF!

One of the caches I printed out was a puzzle, which I didn't think we'd do. But while in the area, he started seeing clues from it, so we did it too, and in record time! That was the one that set the hook for him!