what should i put in a cache?

tumnus777

Good things are AA batteries, LED flashlights, Geo Coins, Fishing Lures, Hot Wheels or Matchbox Cars, anything for kids since they love finding treasures. Just keep in mind not to put anything that has a scent of any kind. Also don't empty out your junk drawer in a cache.

El Diablo

Those all work, or if you can collect some travel bugs, you can put one or 2 to spark some interest to the cache. I always like finding Geocoins in caches. Dont go overboard on Mcdonalds toys, just 1 or 2 for the little ones if they happen to be along, and like El Diablo said, those are some good items. Also to get a view of what cachers in your area put in theirs, id do a search for the closest one to you, go visit the cache, see what kinda items are in it, and go from there and add your own things to it. If you wouldnt be satisfied discovering the item, its usually not worth being put in.

i really want to start placeing caches but i don't know what to put in them .

Hey Tumnus, of Narnia origins, I presume. Others have already provided some good ideas. I'll try to add a few:

Many enjoy theme caches. For example, a Narnia cache might have some of the character toys/trinkets, one or two of the books, and/or last year's movie on DVD. I've found some fun theme caches based on colors, sports, etc. Some cache owners require that trade items match the theme, but others realize that might limit the number of finders/traders, so they allow for non-theme trades and then replenish the cache with theme items as necessary.

An FTF certificate or small FTF prize like a gift card is nice.

Travel bugs and coins are almost always appreciated.

However, there's no need to spend a lot of money. Like PilotMan said, if you simply fill your cache with what you'd like to find in a cache, others will enjoy it. Provide some for kids, some for general cachers, and you're in great shape.

Most of all, have fun with caching as you contribute by placing one!

Its almost more a question of what not to put rather than what to put in a cache. You need to avoid dangerous items (knives, scissors, anything sharp or pointy), anything that will attract wildlife (they have a great sense of smell) so food, perfumes and other scented objects are out, and keep in mind that its a family sport so don 't shock the little ones, flammable substances also should be avoided.

Other than that, anything is ok.

JD

A clear marking that the container IS a geocache!! You should always include a note letting others know the name of the cache, that it is a cache and www.geocaching.com so a non-cacher can look it up and learn of our fun sport!! Some cache orgs have stickers that you locate on the inside of the container somewhere (lid, side etc...).

The "put in it what you would like to find in a cache" answer is probably the most on-target. It doesn't do much for me, though, as I don't really care much about the contents of the caches I find - I'm just as happy with a log-only micro as I am with a large ammo box full of goodies.

I placed my first cache today. The starting contents for it are several Anne Rice paperbacks, a bunch of Deep Woods Off packets (there's a bloodsucker theme), a balsa glider kit, an assortment of super-balls, several cache maintenance pill bottle kits, and a clip-on thermometer / compass (there's only so far that theme will take you, though :anitongue: ). I also included a FTF prize of an unactivated travel bug tag.

I've got a nice pile of starting swag for the next regular size cache I place, as well. More balsa gliders, several small puzzles packed in tins, a number of small waterproof Bison-style tubes suitable for micro cache seeds, etc. Now all I need is a location to hide it. Which means leaving my house. Hell, I'd probably be expected to put pants on. You see how the whole thing starts to get out of control.

I am in the process of putting my first together as well, I thought batteries were a great idea, might really help someone out if they are still early in the day with low batteries, I printed out "the note" from the website and ziplocked that and have a logbook ready, the rest I decide to put in will be the icing on the cake! :anitongue:

A clear marking that the container IS a geocache!! You should always include a note letting others know the name of the cache, that it is a cache and www.geocaching.com so a non-cacher can look it up and learn of our fun sport!! Some cache orgs have stickers that you locate on the inside of the container somewhere (lid, side etc...).

that is how i got started i found leaf me be

First thing is a logbook, second is anything you'd like to find yourself. Don't forget the children. :D

i am a kid i'm only 12!!! :D

I didn't know we could leave our children in a cache! Some days. . . ! :D

Seriously, though, a source of good kiddo (big or little) swag is the Oriental Trading Co. Tweezers also are good -- after all, those micro-nano logs can be impossible to retrieve otherwise!

Edited by Team Teman