What kind of GPS to buy for a good price under $100

Spyeye

Thank you for your for your advise and I will look into it.

Hi I bought a exploristist 400 with software ,cable ,case and 256 mb card for 112.00 dollars at sams club. if that helps any if in fact there are any sams in ca? but anyway im really enjoying it p.s. sams dosent have any listing for the ultimate pack or numbers to find you have to visit store to check.Mike

Thank you for your for your advise and I will look into it.

Hi I bought a exploristist 400 with software ,cable ,case and 256 mb card for 112.00 dollars at sams club. if that helps any if in fact there are any sams in ca? but anyway im really enjoying it p.s. sams dosent have any listing for the ultimate pack or numbers to find you have to visit store to check.Mike

Did you really? If you did, ill paypal you 112 so i can get one! I looked on sams club site 5 minutes ago, 178.00 for just a GPS.

Another option, if you are feeling brave, is eBay. If you shop a little and be careful, you can find some bargins. I recently picked up a Lowrance iFinder Pro with the software package for $72. I was suprised when I got it as it was pretty much as new. I couldn't find any indication that it had been used. The software hadn't even been opened. I was a pretty nice deal for a mapping GPS and all the goodies (card reader, 32mb card, and two CD map package). I already had the software package so I stuck that back on eBay and it sold tonight for over $91. Basically, I ended up getting the GPS for free and made $19 on the software. ;) I love it when I get lucky!

If you want to go retail, I agree with the recommendation of the Etrex yellow. It is hard to beat.

Edited by GPSOkie

Garmin eTex Legend--runs about $120 on sale lots of places these days. Check all the likely places, and don't forget Amazon--they have a good deal going right now...they also have used ones for sale sometimes. Comes with base map of the US, cable, holds 1000 waypoints. Easy to use, will last you until you until you are ready to upgrade--or even longer. We loved ours so much we kept them for company to use when we upgraded (which we only did to get autorouting features).

I looked at the eXplorist 400 on the Sam's webpage and they were running $176 there and only said they hold 500 waypoints. I've never used a Magellan, though.

Whatever you get, be sure it includes a cable. You will want that soon. Don't buy a unit that won't take a cable no matter how good the deal. There is a distinct advantage in loading a lot of caches automatically and on top of that, it prevents you making a mistake when hand loading caches. One little number wrong can put you miles and miles from the cache!