What kind of cache?

montyxc

I'm thinking of placing a series of caches, and am wondering if it is acceptable, and if so, what to call it. They would be in a series completed in order. At least of the caches would go as follows: Inside a cache that is not meant to be 'found' is an fm transmitter (legal as per fcc regulations) that at a given time or interval would transmit the next/final coordinates or clue in morse code. Cachers would be directed to either have an fm radio or it would be located near a parking lot so they could do it from a car, to receive the transmission and decode it. (It would be slow enough that you could with a cheat sheet) The others would be clues or coordinates and instructions to this cache.

What do you think? ;)

Also in general, what kind of cache would have several individual caches posted that would lead to another/others and could be solved over a period? I realize that 1 multi spread over a large area (town) isn't worth it to some.

Certainly different - I would quite enjoy the challenge of a cache like this although I'm not sure if it would be to everyone's taste.

I think much of it depends how 'regular' an interval you're talking about. Every hour or less I don't see a problem as people could time their visit for the broadcast. If your talking about once a day or week, it may be less popular.

The way I see it, as long as you are within the guidelines, go for it. The only way to find out if an idea will work or not is to try it and see!

Now as for a name for the series........ that will take some thinking about!

I know of a couple caches like that, but I haven't done one. They use those "talking house" transmitters. I was going to set one up once, but didn't feel like dropping $100+ for the transmitter, plus I didn't have anywhere to plug it in other than home, and I wasn't sure at that time if I wanted other geocachers knowing where I lived.

I was going to call mine the station and make it a mystery. As in "860 AM" or whatever band it ended up on.

I don't think the ones I know of are set up on a timer though, but I suppose it would be easy enough to use one of those christmas lights timers you can pick up and just plug the transmitter into it.

Edited by ThePropers

I know of a couple caches like that, but I haven't done one. They use those "talking house" transmitters. I was going to set one up once, but didn't feel like dropping $100+ for the transmitter, plus I didn't have anywhere to plug it in other than home, and I wasn't sure at that time if I wanted other geocachers knowing where I lived.

I was going to call mine the station and make it a mystery. As in "860 AM" or whatever band it ended up on.

I don't think the ones I know of are set up on a timer though, but I suppose it would be easy enough to use one of those christmas lights timers you can pick up and just plug the transmitter into it.

I have one Radio Shack used to sell for $20. Everything else will be scrapped together. It will run off of 12volts and recharge by solar...That is, if it works.

It is interesting there are others out there. I knew it was a good idea...

I have one Radio Shack used to sell for $20. Everything else will be scrapped together. It will run off of 12volts and recharge by solar...That is, if it works.

It is interesting there are others out there. I knew it was a good idea...

That's funny. I was thinking aobut using a cache like that as a plot-point in a geocaching novel i might someday write....Let me know how it turns out.

--MGb