Garmin Mapsource Metroguide V5... Worth Buying?

peeruwp

Depends on how much cheaper you can get it for. I have V.5 (I use V.6 now) and there isn't a whole ton of difference. It's sorta like building a house I guess...An older, beat up hammer is better than no hammer. If you can't afford the v.8 and you can afford the v.5, get it! Too many people get hung up on the latest and greatest and bestest game in this whole GPS business.

Would it be worth buying the Garmin Mapsource Metroguide V5 for a cheaper price then buying the new version for a lot more?

I know some of the data will be outdated but I am wondering if it is decent for a beginner map?

I think it's a great idea, particularly for areas that are not massive construction boomtowns. I've had both MGv4 and MGv7. Bought the v4 off eBay and got the v7 for xmas last year. If I didn't get v7 as a gift I'd probably still be using v4; only recent subdivisions and highways are missing. I'd say that for my needs the old maps in v4 do about 90% of what I need.

BN:

*v4 officially does do autorouting in GPSr that support it, so it tends to go for more $$$

*...so v5-6 might actually be cheaper on eBay than v4

*... even though v5-8 can autoroute in the GPSr unofficially if you're willing to do a bit of extra work and deal with some address searching drawbacks.

*if you do buy v5 then resell it to buy a newer copy, you'll have to delete your v5 maps to keep your immortal soul clean

*whichever you buy, make a backup disc first and use the backup for your day-to-day uses. The original lives in your firesafe.

Would it be worth buying the Garmin Mapsource Metroguide V5 for a cheaper price then buying the new version for a lot more?

I know some of the data will be outdated but I am wondering if it is decent for a beginner map?

Thanks Again!

I'm perfectly happy with version 5 and and I am even thinking of going to version 4 because I've heard that it shows trails and summits.