Track Dog (pet) - GPS transmitter

scooter101

Hi,

I know there are some units out there that are specific to dogs... the appear to be an "all in one" thing, that is radio for the master and transmitter/radio for the pet.

My question to anyone is... do you know of an "inexpensive" GPS transmitter that could be fastened to a dog collar so that one could track their dog. I have a Rhino 120 right now. The Rhino 120 cost me about $249. It is able to transmit a signal to another Rhino GPS to acknowledge where it is.

It seems to me for the dog, I would not need the display, speaker but only a way to transmit a location at regular time intervals.

I wonder if there are "off the shelf parts" available to build one of these things...

Thanks much for any ideas.

T

I see these a lot, but I don't know how good they are. There are several others out there too that are GPS/FRS/GMRS based.

http://www.trackerradio.com/hunt.htm

You can search around for hunting supplies for dogs. As thats where most people will find such a product, and well thats how they are marketed.

Just found this which I thought was comical.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/12/06/petcell...phone-for-dogs/

These are what we put on the wolves in Yellowstone. They cost $2500 per collar. Then, you need the signal receiving equipment and the software for your PC to track tha animals movements. Besides, you need satellite "bandwidth" to use the system. There are "home use" systems around the world you can buy that interface with cell phones instead of satellites. Then there are the old VHF radio transmitters and receivers. They aren't cheap either though.

GPS collars

Edited by Alphawolf

My question to anyone is... do you know of an "inexpensive" GPS transmitter that could be fastened to a dog collar so that one could track their dog. I have a Rhino 120 right now. The Rhino 120 cost me about $249. It is able to transmit a signal to another Rhino GPS to acknowledge where it is.

There was a dairy farmer who had problems feeding all his cows at once.

So he put vibrating pagers on collars and pages them a few at a time. Since it does not make a sound only the paged cow know to come to the barn.

So maybe you don't need to know where s/he is as long as s/he comes home for dinner when paged. :-)

There was a dairy farmer who had problems feeding all his cows at once.

So he put vibrating pagers on collars and pages them a few at a time. Since it does not make a sound only the paged cow know to come to the barn.

So maybe you don't need to know where s/he is as long as s/he comes home for dinner when paged. :-)

My grandpa just went outside the barn and yelled something like "come bossey".. it seemed to work. The cows new that if they didn't come they would not get that nice tasting grain.

As for my dog? Well, he doesn't venture far, but I thought it still would be neat to collar him with a transmitter.

Thanks

As for my dog? Well, he doesn't venture far, but I thought it still would be neat to collar him with a transmitter.

If you're willing to go without the realtime aspect it would be easy enough to attach a small GPSr (eTrex or Geko) to it's harness and download the tracklog when the pooch returns home. A GPSr with a patch antenna would be orientated properly laying flat on the dogs back.

If you're willing to go without the realtime aspect it would be easy enough to attach a small GPSr (eTrex or Geko) to it's harness and download the tracklog when the pooch returns home. A GPSr with a patch antenna would be orientated properly laying flat on the dogs back.

I was watching Good Morning America this morning and the briefly talked about some new running shoes that have a GPS tracker in them. Is that kind of the same thing you are talking about here? Although they did mention they could be used to track your children.... If thats the case that is what I am looking for.

Anyone hear anything about these running shoes? I could not find a refernce on the GMA web site.

I found this, . . . . .

http://www.wherearewe.co.nz/t4000.html

didn't check on price though, NZ$

Hi,

I know there are some units out there that are specific to dogs... the appear to be an "all in one" thing, that is radio for the master and transmitter/radio for the pet.

It seems to me for the dog, I would not need the display, speaker but only a way to transmit a location at regular time intervals.

I wonder if there are "off the shelf parts" available to build one of these things...

T

I'm interested in getting rhinos for my kids when hiking. Can I set up a rhino radio to always transmit location AND lock that function in so the kids cant accidentally turn it off?

Hi,

T