Garmin, listen up!

Alphawolf

I need a new backpacking receiver. One with the size and weight of the Foretrex 101 (or smaller even). It needs to run on alkaline/lithium/or rechargeable AAA batteries. I don't need mapping, altimeter or compass. In fact I don't want them in there at all...More to go wrong. I do want the SiRFstar III chip! I want an internal led light, for nighttime emergency use. usb PC interface is a must.

I have been using GPS for 9 years and have been teaching GPS navigation for 5 years. There is a need for this kind of back-country unit!

I need a new backpacking receiver. One with the size and weight of the Foretrex 101 (or smaller even). It needs to run on alkaline/lithium/or rechargeable AAA batteries. I don't need mapping, altimeter or compass. In fact I don't want them in there at all...More to go wrong. I do want the SiRFstar III chip! I want an internal led light, for nighttime emergency use. usb PC interface is a must.

I have been using GPS for 9 years and have been teaching GPS navigation for 5 years. There is a need for this kind of back-country unit!

Why no mapping ? No more reason to go wrong. Besides no mapping BUT a PC interface, interface to do what ?

Anyway the trend in technology has always been more useful things (OK sometimes useless gimmicks too), cheaper, smaller, longer battery life more reliable for the same cost and amusingly it is what people wants.

Why no mapping ? No more reason to go wrong. Besides no mapping BUT a PC interface, interface to do what ?

Anyway the trend in technology has always been more useful things (OK sometimes useless gimmicks too), cheaper, smaller, longer battery life more reliable for the same cost and amusingly it is what people wants.

I have no use for 1:100,000 scale maps on my GPS while backpacking. Not nearly enough detail. Besides, looking at a map through a 2-inch "window" drives me nuts! Nope...I always carry a waterproof 1:24,000 quad with me and my trusty grid card (and a compass). So, I have no use at all for a map with 1/4 the detail that I need.

On the interface question: I simply need to be able to send waypoints into the GPS from my mapping programs on my PC (I primarily use NG Topo 1:24,000 state series). On a long backpacking trip, I may have 30 or 40 waypoints loaded in, and I really don't want to do that one at a time, with manual input.

Edited by Alphawolf