New Meagellan Explorist 500LE

Rockin Roddy

I just got the Magellan Explorist 500...I love it!! Fast startup, great signal reception even under heavy tree cover!!

When I opened the box, I noticed the cd for the mapsend was already opened (seal broken), and when I went to play the cd, it said there wasn't a cd in the reader. Is there anything I need on that cd, should I try to get a new one from Magellan?? Or should I take the unit back to the store??

How do you download from the cpu to the gps??? I hooked it up and everything, but I couldn't figure out how to download to the Magellan geocache screen.

Anyone got any advice???

Thanks

You more likely have a DVD than a CD. Does your computer read DVD's?

As far as downloading to the GPS, you need a program to take the .loc or .gpx files you can obtain from gc.com with the cache data, convert it to .upt (regular POI file) or .gs (geocaching POI file) formats and move them to the GPS. On that DVD/CD will probably be Geocaching Manager, a little program that can do the .gs format/transfer. I think EasyGPS exports .upt files, and GSAK will do both.

You may find the FAQs in my sig line helpful, or perhaps this Explorist review.

Edited by embra

I just got the Magellan Explorist 500...I love it!! Fast startup, great signal reception even under heavy tree cover!!

When I opened the box, I noticed the cd for the mapsend was already opened (seal broken), and when I went to play the cd, it said there wasn't a cd in the reader. Is there anything I need on that cd, should I try to get a new one from Magellan?? Or should I take the unit back to the store??

How do you download from the cpu to the gps??? I hooked it up and everything, but I couldn't figure out how to download to the Magellan geocache screen.

Anyone got any advice???

Thanks

Not familiar with this product, but many Map programs now are coming on DVD. Could this be the case?

WOW...never thought of it being a DVD...it IS!!! I guess I'll have to figure out how to get that info from Magellan!!

As for the downloading...I opened the geocaching application, it just takes me to a map like screen. I'll have to try to figure out how to get the program running! The application is alrady on my computer (probably from the install wizard cd).

WOW...never thought of it being a DVD...it IS!!! I guess I'll have to figure out how to get that info from Magellan!!

As for the downloading...I opened the geocaching application, it just takes me to a map like screen. I'll have to try to figure out how to get the program running! The application is alrady on my computer (probably from the install wizard cd).

The mapsend program is different from the Geocache Manager (which should also have come with the GPSr). Mapsend is a map program. The Geocache Manager is for transfering waypoints.

I picked up the 500 LE a few weeks ago, I also installed a 2gb sd card. My software pakage came with a $9.99 offer to unlock the TOPO USA map. Wow, lots of detail on that map. You have to unlock it through the mapsend manager. I also bought a TOPO Canada map.

Just a note - not all the data for USA and CANADA MAP will fit on the 2gb card but certainly most of what you need will (but I overlaped some). You can only load maps into the gps up to 64mb blocks. The software looks like it can only be loaded into 1 GPS unit because it needs a serial # for that unit.

Does any one know if the Directroute software works well for street directions. I haven't figured out how to use the loading of routes yet.

I have a question about a D/C power cable, does anyone know if the only way to connect a power cable is through the USB cable that came with the unit or is there on available that connects directly to the gps?

Other than the car adapter, I don't know! I guess I'll have to buy the special too then, I had the same offer!

I did figure out how to download to the GPS...it is truly beautiful to be able to do just about everything without any paper at all!! I am amazed that I can now see where the caches are on the map...no more driving in circles??? WOW!! The Accuracy is great, the reception is strong...it's beautiful!!

Of course, I had a Garmin etrex before this one, so my opinions are because I'm coming out of the dark ages!!

I picked up the 500 LE a few weeks ago, I also installed a 2gb sd card. My software pakage came with a $9.99 offer to unlock the TOPO USA map. Wow, lots of detail on that map. You have to unlock it through the mapsend manager. I also bought a TOPO Canada map.

Just a note - not all the data for USA and CANADA MAP will fit on the 2gb card but certainly most of what you need will (but I overlaped some). You can only load maps into the gps up to 64mb blocks. The software looks like it can only be loaded into 1 GPS unit because it needs a serial # for that unit.

Does any one know if the Directroute software works well for street directions. I haven't figured out how to use the loading of routes yet.

I have a question about a D/C power cable, does anyone know if the only way to connect a power cable is through the USB cable that came with the unit or is there on available that connects directly to the gps?

I have a Magellan Meridian Color and use DirectRoute maps on it. It works great for street directions; however, it does have some unusual ways of getting you there sometimes.

My daughter wants mine, so I'm thinking of upgrading to the new Magellan XL, but waiting to see what the new model is in January '07. I've been looking at their site and where they've put the lanyard and SD slot on the new models is much better than it is on mine. However, is it true that the 500LE only holds 200 geocache waypoints at a time?

Miz :anibad:

However, is it true that the 500LE only holds 200 geocache waypoints at a time?

A geocaching POI file can only hold 200 caches, but there is no limit on the number of files you can have.

It would depend on the size Of your SD card

I understand that; however, how much of a PITA will it be to have to shuffle between folders and files on the SD card to load/unload/reload the cache POI's depending on where I go on my caching day...

Thanks! I've been reading some of the other threads too, and it appears that it still will hold 500 waypoints, but allows only 200 of them to have additional geocaching information. Guess I'll have to organize my PQ's a little better to accomodate that limitation.

:anitongue:

To clarify, any geocache file can hold 200 caches. Any POI waypoint file can hold 500 points. You can activate one of each file at a time. This means your map will show 200 + 500= 700 total points.

Regarding the POI file with 500 points: You can make this file all geocache waypoints also if you want. You will not have all of the geocache info, buy you can get much of it. GSAK does this very easily.

You can access information on any other file, even if they are not active. You can save unlimited number of files, on the internal memory or the SD card, subject to memory size.

Edited by EScout

click menu scroll down to preferences click on it scroll down to active setup

click on it scroll down to geocaches click on it click on select file then scroll up or down through your folders (oh and they can hold more then one file in them also)pick the one you want click on it scroll to the file you want and click on it its then the active geocache.

Sounds like a lot but you can do it in seconds depending oh many files you have to scan through I very seldom load that many in my files usually 100 or less for me its easier that way to keep areas sorted out

Edited by vagabond

I have also bought the eXplorist 500LE and can't wait to try it out. I was a bit surprized that the box contained the USB cable and the li-ion battery but not the AC cable. Closer inspection of the box confirmed that the AC cable is listed as an optional accessory but so is the battery that was included. Was anybody else missing an AC cable in their eXplorist 500LE box?

Dukeyduke, if you got the li-ion battery with your 500LE then it was a bonus. From what I understand the 500 comes with the battery, but the 500LE just comes with an adapter to fit in 3 AAA batteries and an offer to buy the Li-ion for $20USD (plus $25 shipping to Canada!).

So unless I'm mistaken, good job on the free battery :unsure: