Starting new caches

collinwoods

Reply: Hey collinwoods.

Well, first off let me say that I'm new to this sport as well, however, I just hide a geocache on the twenty-six, so rest assured that the information that I will disclose will be moderately accurate. What you need to do is go to the main page of geocaching.com and click on hide & seek a cache -for it is on this sub-web-link that you will be informed about what the rules are for hiding a cache and what you need to do after you have found a cache.

All in all though, I as a fellow geocacher welcome you to this sport and wish you

well with your hides and discoveries as a geocacher.

I have to agree with Woodbutcher68, go out and get experience before placing a cache. As you do more you will learn a lot about the sport and you will get a better idea of what are good hides and bad hides, what are good containers in your area and the kind of things cachers in your area tend to put in their caches. It will pay off by making your first hide better. There really is a lot to learn to really understand geocaching.

JD

Im new to this sport and was wanting to start a new cache and was wondering what all id have to do.

I finally placed my first cache two days ago, after first finding over 100. I would recommend any new cacher also get some experience finding caches before hiding one. There are a lot of ways to hide caches, and lots of kinds of caches to hide. If you find 50, or 100, or whatever before hiding one yourself you'll have a much better idea of what kind of cache you want to place, what kind you like, what works and what doesn't, etc.

The one I placed is a very traditional ammo can, but since I waited I had a better feel for the cachers in my area, and I knew what would make good starting swag and FTF prize.

You don't have to wait before placing your first cache, of course. There's no rule about it and I'm certain that many brand new cachers have placed excellent caches. It's worth considering, however.