First Find!

Ritzhenson

CONGRATS on your first find.

I couldn't find the first cache I searched, but I found the second.

I was walking around this large dead tree stump. I couldn't find anything. Then I noticed a small hole in the base of the stump and noticed something blue. It was the lid of a plastic container. Now, how did THAT get in there I wondered. On further examination, I noticed a bunch of rocks piled up on the other side of the stump. I moved them aside, and THERE was the container.

I took the container aside with a great sense of accomplishment. I felt like I really found a treasure! I cannot explain the excitement I felt, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

My first find took 2 visits and it was a big ol' ammo box in the woods. I remember thinking that the GPS would put me right on top of it, so when it said 20 feet, I went 20 feet and then 20 feet back and then 10 feet that way and 30 feet this way... After realizing that it's not perfect, I stopped looking at the GPS and started digging around <_<

Had my son with me and there was a TB in the cache as well as some cool kids PC games. I was definitely hooked!

Congrats on your first find!

I'm so excited!! I just found my first cache ever today. The first one I planned to get was a little ways in the bush and we have knee deep snow on the ground so I didn't want to go looking, not knowing how or what to even look for. Further along the trail I found the spot for a 2nd cache I'd thought to look for. Standing in this little clearing looking around 20ft in every direction I could have dug through the knee deep snow everywhere and still never found it. Thankfully I had the hint with me that told me it was between the cutoff tree and the one that looked like a slingshot. Even digging between the base of those 2 trees it took a bit to find. Did I mention it's a giant 3 gallon green plastic barrel? Yeah, apparently I'm not much of a detective. <_< Oh well, I think because it's winter and we've had so much snow I'll stick to ones that have fairly good directions because I can't go digging through knee deep snow in a 20 foot circle LOL. Now all I need to do is figure out how to add my posting to that cache's log so they know I've been there. How do I tell them I've found it and thank them?

My first one was a small one in the brush by an abandoned RR right of way. The GPSr I was using wasn't made for this type of thing, but when I got within 20', I started looking. When I saw a bunch of sticks laying all the same direction at the base of a tree, I didn't think it looked right. I moved them off to the side, and there it was, and I was hooked! About 2 weeks later, I bought a new GPSr, and now go out every chance I get. We've been lucky in that the weather has been better than normal, so I go out every weekend.

We are new (since late Oct)...our first was a film canister stuck in a hollow tree limb... in the revitalized area of Love Canal...(yes THE Love Canal)...was pretty fun...my 2 boys (6 & 3) enjoy it. My wife could not care less as with my 17 year old daugher....the only thing my wife likes about it is...she gets to be home in a quiet house for a few hours on the weekend... ;)

We are new (since late Oct)...our first was a film canister stuck in a hollow tree limb... in the revitalized area of Love Canal...(yes THE Love Canal)...was pretty fun...my 2 boys (6 & 3) enjoy it. My wife could not care less as with my 17 year old daugher....the only thing my wife likes about it is...she gets to be home in a quiet house for a few hours on the weekend... ;)

Scott 1/5 of FFof5

My first was on Christmas Eve, which in sunny California was shirt sleeve weather. I went to where I thought it was hidden, and my GPSr said no way! I wasn't thinking like a geocacher. When I finally found it, I was thrilled, because it was tough to find as it was so well camouflaged. It really looked like it was supposed to be there. I'm hooked.

I've got the bug!! My first find was 2 days ago with a friend who's been doing this for a while and I got more excited than an adult really should about a tupperware tub with a load of toys in it! We went back out yesterday and bagged 2 more, one nice and easy around town and one down a waterfall! I'm looking forward to finding lots more but I suspect that the time I spend commuting around Scotland is about to get much longer!

Happy hunting,

Steph.

;) I got my first GPS Christmas.The next day I found my first cache.It was a ammo box.Two days later I found my first microcache.Today I found 3 caches today one was a microcache,the other was a ammo box cache and the third was a tupperware bowel.I am hooked on Geocaching.I am going out again

tomorrow .

Have a nice night.

johnboy11171

Edited by johnboy11171

My first find was pretty cool. I stayed up all night playing with my new gps that i got in the mail the day before. I went down to the park at 5 in the morning, and waited at the gate until they opened at 8, playing with my gps and cell phone until the opening time came around. I found it within 3 minutes of getting to the area, and i picked up a texas holdem game, and i had a perminatent smile on my face for at least a hour. I was so happy with the first one, i found 5 more that day lol. It was Groundhogs Foyer by CordedTires.

My first find was yesterday (12/30/06). How cool it was! We were out for a 7 mile hike and decided to give it a go. I am now hooked! May go out New Year's Day for another.

I just got the GPS last weekend and wasn't sure how it was going to work. Well the GPS was right on the money - we found the cache within 1 foot.

Edited by DammitNanet

Well my first was while I was visiting relatives in se Georgia the first week of December. My brother-in-law asked if I wanted to try it and I'm glad I said yes. It was a cache placed by Mark and Wendy on Jekyll Island and was a blast to find. I've been going to this island for more than twenty years and saw parts of it I would of never seen if it wasn't for geocaching. I got my first gps for christmas and was amazed at how many are in my area. ;)

When I (mom) first found the website after getting my GPS handheld system with some Visa points, I read some of the descriptions and since the kids were driving me crazy on Christmas Eve day we decided as a family to give it a try. I knew where the first one was before heading out...it is Work of Art - a virtual in our local area and we drive by it every day...but wanted to know how to work the GPS before venturing into any wooded area with three kids!!! We have since been enjoying it. Not many finds since making the time to actually get out there is what you have to do. That same Christmas Eve day in 05 Mom sent out the rest of the team to a local arboretum....the four came back with nothing but a sad story to tell....so since mom was finished with Xmas preparations...all five returned that day and found the two we were looking for and made it back home in time for candle light service and the kids went to sleep fairly easily!! Thus started what we try to do every 'holiday' And mom is way behind on the scrapbook already! There are still many 'firsts' out there for us. Mom is sensing an 'event' will be in order soon!!!

I got a GPS four years ago for Christmas and was searching on the Internet for fun things to do with a GPS. I stumbled across the geocaching website and figured out that there was a geocache only eight miles from my house. So I hopped in the car with the kids and headed out to a beautiful backcountry park to find it. We hiked about half a mile up a trail and found an ammo box tucked underneath a bush! Woo Hoo!

: my girlfriend just got me a 60csx for christmas, this is my first gpsr and I think I got lucky she picked out such a nice one, maybe too nice for a rookie!? but me and her(monkeybutt2), she had to make her own account after the first day haha, along with "the steph-meister" and "carrie-pie"(current geocachers & family) spent this new years day in the mountains exploring, IM DEFINATELY HOOKED, best New Years day i've ever had!! :anitongue:

Our first find was before we even got the GPSr! We used Google Earth to pinpoint the location, it was a micro in the middle of a parking lot up the street from our house. Since I knew there wasn't anything in that parking lot but a big tree, I figured that was where to go. We drove up as it was getting dark and I hopped out and found it in the crook of two branches of the tree! We were so excited, it was like two little kids on Christmas morning!!! :anitongue: And we still get that feeling everytime we find one!

java script:emoticon(':D', 'smid_4')

:DI received my GPSr for Christmas. Took my son who was home for Christmas from college. We decided to walk to the cache since it was less than a mile from the house. He was fine until we reached the woods and had to do some bushwacking. Being my first cache, I'm still learning how to do this which meant we wandered through the woods for a while. I was so excited when I found the cache, I wasn't paying attention to the fact I was brushing up against the dirt in the roots the cache was hidden in. Got my coat and gloves filthy, but I didn't care. There was a travel bug in the cache (Det. Smart) which thrilled me! My son wasn't impressed and just wanted to get to the coffee shop I promised we would visit afterward. Oh well, I hope to get my three year old son hooked before he goes to college.

Almost 5 years ago - stumbled onto the site while updating my Garmin eTrex legend. Was a whole 5 caches within 100 miles and 1 within 2 miles. Went out and did the drunken bee dance trying to get all the numbers to line up on the coordinate screen on my GPS. Found a rusty coffee can under a huge pile of leaves. I was hooked.

Yup. Too much fun. Have friends in SoCal that got me hooked. First find was a micro in a park by my house. I'm still way a noob by most standards but crawling around in rocks and such is soooo much fun.

I was carefully walking in the direction indicated by the GPS that I walked right into the tree that hid the cache. :D Found it in the fork of the tree covered in leaves.

Now every time I drive by places I either remember there is a cache hidden or think maybe if there isn't there should be.

Truly an addicting sport!

Found my first cache a few days ago. It was a micro. In fact, the only ones I've been able to find so far are micros (odd?)

Boy was it exciting when we found it! We were just about to give up, when I noticed a strange leaf up in the tree..... and then realized it was a pine tree and there shouldn't be leaves at all!

Yep, I suppose I would have been disapointed too... Hey...I found a regular one today with my son (5) and beautiful wife! We got to put some stuff in this one! Hurray!!!! :D Peace, Ritz.

Congratulations!! I started in oct. and am closing in on #100 my worst was in a fauset in front of some guys house!!

I got my e-trex for Christmas this year after my wife heard about GeoCashing at a home-schooling event. She new I would love this and she was right! On 12/28/06 I set out for my first cache: it was named after the ruins of an old mill only a mile down a bike path from our house – I could not think of a better first find!

This was a family outing; I had a new-born in a baby carrier on my chest, an 18-month old in a backpack and my 4 year old blazing ahead on his scooter. My wife was more excited than I was until she realized we needed to cross a raging creek to get to our treasure. I took 4 trips across the creek carrying one at a time – the first sign that addiction was on its way! We found the treasure quickly and performed the happy dance – this was a blast! It has only been 7 days since that first find and we are now up to 14 caches! Happy trails ahead!

Edited by CMSoliday

My first cache was also a simple micro. When we decided to get into this strange new hobby, we had a full day planned with the kids. So, in order to make sure I knew what I was doing, I went out by myself and found a micro. I can't explain how cool it was to find it! Who knew I could get so excited about an M&M tube wrapped in electrician's tape and hidden at the bottom of a fence post???

:laughing:

I had watched a fellow on the shores of Lake Michigan one day, frantically looking for something, it was raining but this man searched on checking his cell phone ( so I thought ) then reaching into the huge boulders that created the shores' breakwall. Grammie and I were safe and dry in our minivan and watched this poor soul for over a 1/2 hour. We concluded that maybe someone had dropped their cellphone down in the rocks and he was calling the number with his phone and listening for the lost phone to ring. Then it dawned on me about an article I had read about geocaching and determined that he was checking his GPS for direction. As the man headed back to civilization I pulled along side him and inquired if he was indeed Geocaching. The man was drenched but smiling and told me about his wonderful hobby. I was hooked and started tracking local caches via google earth on my computer but the closest I came to a find was a drive past the area. Then, on Christmas morning, my son made me feel as I could only hope I had made him feel a few Christmases by leaving a GPS reader under my tree. Grammiehuz, myself and our lab mix Hanah set out on January 1st and started the New Year off right with our "FIRST FIND" and we are hooked. It was a micro-cache in semi rough terrain which was great excercise for us and great sniffing fun for Hanah. Our GPS reader led us right to the cache with no problems. We had 8 caches planned in that area but were so overcome with excitement we couldn't search for another as we raced home to log our find. What a great hobby for us as we are in our late 50's and don't get out much. WE WILL NOW ! :laughing:

Edited by pappyhuz

Found my first on Jan 2nd. It was a pretty simple find, a tupperware bowl in a shrub. I was thrilled! :ph34r:

I'm at 5 finds now. My first day was 2 for 5... second outing (night caching) we were 3 for 5.

I was surprised how much of a charge I got out of finding the first one!

I'm wondering how badly this geocaching is going to screw up the things I "should" be doing if I wasn't playing around.

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)