60 csx is moving while sitting on my desk

Pxtyson

Your GPS is experiencing what was earlier termed as the bumble bee dance.

Even though you are sitting still, the geometric position of the satellites measuring your position are not. They are continuously moving requiring a new time signal to your position which must be recalculated. This is what your EPE (Estimated Position Error) is about.

Why does my 60csx log movement when it is motionless on my desk for awhile?

Are you in California? Is it showing your moving West?? Thats not good, hope you have your life jacket ready...

Seriously though, you said its on your desk, that probably means your not getting a good view of the sat's. As others have stated, because the sat's are constantly moving, and your recomputing your position based on that, some movement is normal, and its probably worse because your inside, and aren't getting "good geometry" with the sat's.

Ideally you should have sat's on different sides of you, but if your inside, they are probably all on one side (your near an east window, so most of the sat's you see are east of you). This makes for worse accuracy than normal

okay guys i am just doing a test right now and in 3 min 17 seconds of sitting completely still on my desk with a 9m accuracy i have had it move at 4.9kmh and also moved 13m

If it is on your desk, I would assume that you are not getting the best reception. A more accurate test would be to set it outside with a clear view of most of the sky. It will still wander around a bit. That is normal. If it make 20-30 6 foot jumps over 30 minutes, it will add up quickly. But again, that is normal.

I've heard the "at your desk" point before. I've taken the 60csx outside with a nearly horizon-to-horizon view - and with and without an external antenna at that - and observed the same trait. These units simply don't do position averaging and if you set them perfectly still, its best guess of your position will jitter 6 feet this way and 7 feet that way and 8 feet that way every few seconds. Over your 30 minutes, that few feet of jitter adds up to a substantial distance.