Smache v1.0 released

gcslim

A couple weeks later than I'd have liked, but it's finally here - Smache version 1.0, all-in-one pocket pc paperless caching application. The major fixes are a faster import, support for landscape and square screens, better international support and removal of the registration and nag screen (which were added in so I could teach myself how to do it, Smache will be free).

http://www.cyancanyon.com/software/smache

follow the link for a more detailed description, help files and the free download.

I've gotten some good feedback, please continue to let me know what you think!

A couple weeks later than I'd have liked, but it's finally here - Smache version 1.0, all-in-one pocket pc paperless caching application. The major fixes are a faster import, support for landscape and square screens, better international support and removal of the registration and nag screen (which were added in so I could teach myself how to do it, Smache will be free).

http://www.cyancanyon.com/software/smache

follow the link for a more detailed description, help files and the free download.

I've gotten some good feedback, please continue to let me know what you think!

Oh no :-(

I still can't use the program. As soon as I launch the program, going to the second step, after clicking OK in the message "database could not be found", and don't have access to any menu. Thought this was due to absence of landscape mode. But now you say landscape is supported... and still no menu.

Oh no :-(

I still can't use the program. As soon as I launch the program, going to the second step, after clicking OK in the message "database could not be found", and don't have access to any menu. Thought this was due to absence of landscape mode. But now you say landscape is supported... and still no menu.

Based on our correspondence, the conclusion is that Smache isn't able to run on a Windows CE os :laughing: ; some people getting farther than others. I suppose if I had something that ran on WinCE I might try to port it over, but unfortunately that isn't the situation right now.

I've been trying this out now for a couple of weeks using Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. During this time I have experienced a few issues with the program which will hopefully be rectified in time.

On installation I got a message advising the program was written for an older version of Windows Mobile and may not display properly. On numerous occasions, while using Smache my PDA has gone to an unrecoverable black screen which requires a reboot.

The only other issue I have with Smache is that I'm unable to export trackfiles to .kml for google earth.

Can these issues be resolved?

Thanks gcslim

I've been trying this out now for a couple of weeks using Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. During this time I have experienced a few issues with the program which will hopefully be rectified in time.

On installation I got a message advising the program was written for an older version of Windows Mobile and may not display properly. On numerous occasions, while using Smache my PDA has gone to an unrecoverable black screen which requires a reboot.

The only other issue I have with Smache is that I'm unable to export trackfiles to .kml for google earth.

Can these issues be resolved?

Thanks gcslim

Warning screen upon installation... This is a generic warning that happens on many programs. Pay it no mind.

Unrecoverable black screen... The only time my pocket pc has done something similar was a few times when it has gone into sleep mode with the WiFi on, but that had nothing to do with Smache. What was going on when this happened for you?

KML files... Export and import of KML files is on the new features list for sometime in the future. Not sure how far in the future (read: a long time). In the meantime, Smache can export to Shapefiles which can be converted to KML.

Shape2Earth

Note that I haven't used this and can't vouch for how well it works or even if it works at all. You'll probably find a few more tools if you google it.

Thanks for the questions!

Unrecoverable black screen... The only time my pocket pc has done something similar was a few times when it has gone into sleep mode with the WiFi on, but that had nothing to do with Smache. What was going on when this happened for you?

This normally occurs when the PDA is left without any use ei. when i am making a trackfile while driving and the PDA & GPSr are sitting in the console of the car. If I don't get the black screen it will also constantly drop the GPS signal (an issue I forgot to mention earlier) I think the longest track file I have had any success with was about 6km :laughing: not sure what is causing it but it doesn't seem happen with TOMTOM or cachemate so I know the GPSr isn't dropping out.

KML files... Export and import of KML files is on the new features list for sometime in the future. Not sure how far in the future (read: a long time). In the meantime, Smache can export to Shapefiles which can be converted to KML.

Shape2Earth

Note that I haven't used this and can't vouch for how well it works or even if it works at all. You'll probably find a few more tools if you google it.

Thanks for the questions!

Awesome, I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.

Thanks for the fast replies. :D

Edited by Cannibal Smurf

This normally occurs when the PDA is left without any use ei. when i am making a trackfile while driving and the PDA & GPSr are sitting in the console of the car. If I don't get the black screen it will also constantly drop the GPS signal (an issue I forgot to mention earlier) I think the longest track file I have had any success with was about 6km :laughing: not sure what is causing it but it doesn't seem happen with TOMTOM or cachemate so I know the GPSr isn't dropping out.

Thanks for the additional details, I'll have a look and see what I can find. Something may be going on in your handheld that isn't preventing the power-down like it should while Smache is using the GPS port. A temporary workaround may be to disable the automatic power-down whenever you intend to connect to your GPSr (Settings - System - Power - Advanced).

OK, going caching again in the next couple of days so I'll give that a try.

Another thing I am curious about, when stopping a trackfile (ie. when the GPSr signal is dropped or PDA freezes) I am unable to continue it... pausing is fine, is there any way to resume/add to a trackfile or could this be incorporated into future versions?

OK, going caching again in the next couple of days so I'll give that a try.

Another thing I am curious about, when stopping a trackfile (ie. when the GPSr signal is dropped or PDA freezes) I am unable to continue it... pausing is fine, is there any way to resume/add to a trackfile or could this be incorporated into future versions?

A fine suggestion, I'll look into it!

Based on our correspondence, the conclusion is that Smache isn't able to run on a Windows CE os ;) ; some people getting farther than others. I suppose if I had something that ran on WinCE I might try to port it over, but unfortunately that isn't the situation right now.

is there any files that we could try? seems that a lot of times different aygshell dll's help...(not that I have any clue what they do :lol: ) I would love to give it a try.

Hi,

this program is what I am looking for!

But when I ran it I got two problems

1. GPS is not working correctly. Smache indicates 3d fix (after GPS fixes of course), the number of taken samples grows and time connected too, but (P/H/V)DOP values are all 50 and coordinates are 0, 0.

2. I had some (incorrect?) gpx file, where all the caches (Groundspeak:cache xml element) had equal ID. As far as I understand it (and I am certainly no expert) Smache updates its database according to those IDs which means I could import only one cache. Wouldn't it be better to use for this purpose <wpt><name> (e.g. GCH6E5) instead? Finally I wrote some stupid xml transformation and made those ids unique but it is not a real solution anyway.

My system Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox N560 (Windows Mobile 5, integrated Sirf3 GPS)

Thanks and keep up good work!

1. GPS is not working correctly. Smache indicates 3d fix (after GPS fixes of course), the number of taken samples grows and time connected too, but (P/H/V)DOP values are all 50 and coordinates are 0, 0.

Others have had issues with GPS reading with some regional settings. Might yours be the same situation? What region are you in?

2. I had some (incorrect?) gpx file, where all the caches (Groundspeak:cache xml element) had equal ID. As far as I understand it (and I am certainly no expert) Smache updates its database according to those IDs which means I could import only one cache. Wouldn't it be better to use for this purpose <wpt><name> (e.g. GCH6E5) instead? Finally I wrote some stupid xml transformation and made those ids unique but it is not a real solution anyway.

The cache ID is the element that uniquely identifies any particular cache. The waypoint name is actually derived from it. Although the cache ID/waypoint name pair should always match up in GPX files as they come from Groundspeak, other third-party applications (GSAK in particular) provide the ability to modify the waypoint name, therefore making it unreliable for updates.

Others have had issues with GPS reading with some regional settings. Might yours be the same situation? What region are you in?

Do you mean there are some issues for some regions according to GPS coordinates or my PDA settings?

I am from the Czech Republic, approximately 50.0N, 14.5E. I use a partial czech localization (keyboard, dictionaries) on my PDA.

The cache ID is the element that uniquely identifies any particular cache. The waypoint name is actually derived from it. Although the cache ID/waypoint name pair should always match up in GPX files as they come from Groundspeak, other third-party applications (GSAK in particular) provide the ability to modify the waypoint name, therefore making it unreliable for updates.

OK, it seems it was a corrupted file then. Perhaps it could be good to have some advanced user setting to load GPX caches by their names. It is the users' responsibility not to change the name if they want to load their GPX to Smache. But of course it is stupid to try to support corrupted files :signalviolin:

Would it be possible to port this application to windows mobile smartphones without touchscreens? That'd be great because there is very little geocaching software for smartphones

I thought about that, and even started playing around with how the interface would be, but it didn't get far because without having one myself it would be impractical to develop.

I finally tried to change the PDA regional settings and that was it :rolleyes: All what is needed is to change the decimal symbol to decimal point (dot). Now GPS works. :lol:

One small problem I forgot to mention last time is in open file dialog (for GPX import). I use "File Dialog Changer" (a replacement for standard and stupid Windows Mobile file dialog). It works fine I can recommend it. But in Smache there is some problem with the file filter (mask, type or whatever it is called). Even though "GPX Files" is selected in the Type box of the dialog, GPX files just do not appear. I have to manually write the name of the file to the Name box to import it.

I just came across this software and wanted to give it a go but I'm having problems. I created the database and attempted to download a GSAK .GPX then a GSAK .LOC file. I got error messages. I finally tired a .GPX file direct from my PQ and it accepted the file and gave me the stats that I have 500 total caches but I'm unable to view any of the caches. Am I missing something in the help files? Can the program be used with GSAK?

I'm running it on a Axim x51v with the portrait view under Windows Mobile 5.0.

Thanks in advance.

A cache with a very long description can be imported from GPX, but can't be viewed. Smache throws an exception: ... error reading cache detail...OutOfBoundsException.

Do you have a cache id for that one so I can look at it?

I just came across this software and wanted to give it a go but I'm having problems. I created the database and attempted to download a GSAK .GPX then a GSAK .LOC file. I got error messages. I finally tired a .GPX file direct from my PQ and it accepted the file and gave me the stats that I have 500 total caches but I'm unable to view any of the caches. Am I missing something in the help files? Can the program be used with GSAK?

What were the errors with your GSAK files? Does your 'total caches' listing say you have 500 caches now? If so, can you activate it (by double-tapping)?

You can test any cache and make the description long enough by copy pasting. (Take a GPX file with only one cache and make the description long so that the file is say 65KB long. I tried this with two different caches.) I can send you some sample if necessary. Problem was with some "extended version" of GCVGD8. The original GCVGD8 GPX should be OK. Maybe there are some real caches (probably multicaches) long enough to cause this problem, I don't know.

I have to correct my last post, the error is

Error retrieving cache. Smache data structure exception:

Error reading cache detail.

ArgumentOutOfRangeException.

I installed today on my hx4700 and loaded a pocket query ( ~400 caches ) for a little testing.

A bit slow but bearable ( maybe ) but I have a question. This is something that Cachemate

doesn't do on a PDA and, IMO, all PDA apps should have this so that it can be a standalone

app/unit. I see that you sort by date but does it sort by date/time? I see this as important

because at the end of a big caching day, when you're logging your finds, it'd be nice to

enter them in the order of the finds as it helps bring back the experience of the day and

makes it easier to remember your visit to the cache.

Edited by nicolo

What were the errors with your GSAK files? Does your 'total caches' listing say you have 500 caches now? If so, can you activate it (by double-tapping)?

Double tapping did the trick. Now I get to play around with the other functions. NOW those instructions to double-click stick out like a sore thumb. Thanks for the help.

Some more remarks:

Does Smache support other charsets than "western" in GPX files? For me non-western characters appear as "?".

My PDA goes into suspend after the specified time, Smache does not keep it active. The PDA can be set not to go to suspend but that is only a workaround.

Why doestn't a new (finished) track appear in the list of tracks and waypoints immediately? It appears after restart of Smache. Waypoints appear immediately. And even tracks appear immediately in the combobox for destination selection.

Today I have had some problems working with tracks. (Probably due to PDA going to suspend) And after restart of Smache I get this error message:

Error loading database

Error getting waypoints

Error reading waypoint records

...Waypoint.Smd is not a smache database file

and the database doesn't load. I had to create a new databse and take waypoints files from it.

Edited by VF

The logic of decoding/encoding hints seems to be reversed for GPX. I have to put decoded hints into Groundspeak:encoded_hints element so that Smache could interpret it correctly.

Thank you for your patience and for this great software <_<

The logic of decoding/encoding hints seems to be reversed for GPX. I have to put decoded hints into Groundspeak:encoded_hints element so that Smache could interpret it correctly.

Yes, hints in Groundspeak GPX files are decoded. It is up to the application to do the encoding.

Does Smache support other charsets than "western" in GPX files? For me non-western characters appear as "?".

The issue with characters over 127 on the ANSI table is a known bug and has been repaired for next version.

The other issues mentioned in your post are still under the microscope...

When your database did not open, did you try cleaning it? (Menu > Database > Clean)

The issue with characters over 127 on the ANSI table is a known bug and has been repaired for next version.

The other issues mentioned in your post are still under the microscope...

Great :laughing:

When your database did not open, did you try cleaning it? (Menu > Database > Clean)

Yes I did. I got some different error. (Sorry, I didn't grab the screen and I don't remember the exact message.)

I've been poking around with Smache for about a week, and the only thing that's not working is that the majority of GPX files I import fail out with various errors. The most recent error is this, importing a GPX from GSAK with nearly 1000 records:

"There were errors encountered during the import. Error processing GPX file. Error writing caches. Error writing logs. Smache data structure exception: Error adding log to index. Log does not have a valid ID."

After this error, the import summary shows zero imports, but the Total Caches database shows 825 records imported. None of them are viewable or show up when I open Total Caches, however.

Similar errors all the time, with both Pocket Query GPX's direct from Groundspeak as well as from GSAK. When I export from GSAK, I just use the defaults because that will presumably be as close as possible to a "standard" GPX. I can send you sample files that fail if that will help.

Thanks for the program - lots of nice features you don't see elsewhere.

I store my databases on "\SD-MMCard\My Documents\gps". When I choose to open database in Smache for the first time, it is ok - it open directory "\My Documents". When I try to open database again, it is not ok - it shows path "\SD-MMCard\My". (Again it is not anything important. Just two clicks delay :anicute: )

By the way: does Smache support "child waypoints" - subwaypoints of a cache? When I tried it Smache loaded them into the list of waypoints, which is not ideal. What is the fourth icon from left in the cache details? I thougth it could be something like this.

2Pasha: I had a similar problem. I wrote some stupid xml transformation (a xsl file) to compute a unique ID from the name of the cache. If you are interested I can send it to you but there are probably better solutions.

First off, I have been using this program for a week or so now and I love it. It took me a little bit of time to figure it out but now it is smooth easy to use and perfect. The only question I have is: Is there any chance you plan on adding some sort of base map support to the map portion. I know it is possible to download the map tiles of google maps and store them locally (mgmaps.com is doing this) and that would be a very nice addition to this app if you could download the tiles for the area you would be in. Anyways either way cheers, nice app.

The only question I have is: Is there any chance you plan on adding some sort of base map support to the map portion.

Importing map data has always been on the list of items to add. I have a not-quite-finished tool that imports shapefiles into the map. When its done I should be able to modify it to accept KML files and GPX lines too. Image import has been my goal however. I want to be able to take a snapshot with my camera-phone of a trail map at the beginning of a nature trail, transfer it to my pocket pc and then display it as a background in Smache.

Unfortunately, I have a ba-zillion irons in my fire, and the fire is not so big. I really have no idea when I'll get back to Smache. I hope to at least release version 1.0.1 with some needed bug fixes by the end of the summer, but you know how plans go...

Been playing with Smache for a few weeks, I like it a LOT but would like to have the map oriented such that my direction of travel is "up". Looked through the help files and wasn't able to find anything on this.

Thanks for the cool app. I can see this becoming the new standard by which other apps are judged.

DconBlueZ

Been playing with Smache for a few weeks, I like it a LOT but would like to have the map oriented such that my direction of travel is "up". Looked through the help files and wasn't able to find anything on this.

Thanks for the cool app. I can see this becoming the new standard by which other apps are judged.

DconBlueZ

Not sure how often gcslim gets on here to see what people have said but since I am here and I think I know what he would probably say I may as well throw it your way.

GPS direction (IE The compass) is so jumpy and inacurate especially at low speeds it would make trying to rotate the map impractical. Not to mention the difficulty of drawing the map at angles on a ppc anyways (compounded when you have a large number of items displayed on the map). The ability to determine which way you are heading is instead handled by adding a trail to your cursor on the map.

The issue of map rotation isn't an especially big deal with Smache since the map completely redraws with every refresh anyway. Rotation is just a matter of an additional trig function on each point.

The number one reason the capability does not yet exist in Smache is because it doesn't happen to be a setting I personally prefer, and therefore not a priority. :anitongue: The close second reason is that it seems to me an impractical function to have until Smache can display background layers and images. Without these, all it would do is signify that you are walking toward the cache, which is the primary function of the compass in the upper right.

It is true that GPS signals are unreliable for direction at low speeds, but Smache will give them to you anyway. In my experience, I've found the bigger problem to be the delay that most receivers build in so that when the display says you're next to the cache, you actually passed it 15 feet back and you have to wait a few seconds for the GPS to realize that.

But then I suppose if you're still looking at your pocket pc when you're that close then your expectations of the accuracy of your GPS is too high anyway.

Speaking of trig, was that a tangent just now?

Hello again.

Maybe a bold question but do you consider publishing the source code? In that case I could perhaps find some time to fix at least some minor bugs. Or do you plan to release a new version "soon"? Or perhaps make Smache commercial?

Maybe a bold question but do you consider publishing the source code? In that case I could perhaps find some time to fix at least some minor bugs. Or do you plan to release a new version "soon"? Or perhaps make Smache commercial?

I do apologize for the delay in an update to Smache... other tasks have taken all my time for this and other things including geocaching. Although several people have asked and offered to help with the coding of updates, I hope you can understand that as my first practical pocket pc application, Smache is my baby and I am reluctant to share. I also apologize that "soon" is relative and I still have no idea when that will be. Happy caching!

For those of us that don't have our pda hooked up to a gps, is there a possibility of importing a generic map that can be displayed with with cache icons, roads etc. I'm not looking for anything with topo or the like. Just a nice simple background map.

Also, this may be something that I just have not been able to find yet. Cachemate can be sorted by distance from a certain point. Is there a similar feature/function that works in smache too?

I've been using Smache for about a month now and it is great! My PPC doesn't have GPS so I haven't been able to test that but it has been very helpful if I need to look up notes or hints for caches in the field.

I merge Pocket Queries in EasyGPS to upload to my GPSr and I'm seeing an issue in trying to import the resulting .gpx file in Smache. Caches show up only as waypoints. Anything I can do to remedy this?

Thanks for all of your work!

I've been using Smache for about a month now and it is great! My PPC doesn't have GPS so I haven't been able to test that but it has been very helpful if I need to look up notes or hints for caches in the field.

I merge Pocket Queries in EasyGPS to upload to my GPSr and I'm seeing an issue in trying to import the resulting .gpx file in Smache. Caches show up only as waypoints. Anything I can do to remedy this?

Thanks for all of your work!

I haven't used EasyGPS so I'm not totally familiar with its output, but what Smache is looking for is a Groundspeak GPX file. If the Groundspeak header or namespace elements are missing, Smache will think its just a generic GPX and import as waypoints.

Compare the original files from geocaching.com and the output from EasyGPS to see if there is much difference in the information.

Hey gcslim, just wanted to let you know I love your program. I've been using it for about 3 weeks and its a great help. I have it on my XV6800 (Verizon, hacked with the Sprint GPS software) so its an all in one package.

I searched for it on the forums today and saw you just posted so I thought I'd say thanks!

In response to the folks way above that have problems getting right up to the caches, I've been using RichesseGPS once I get nearby to the cache and it gets me to about 3m from the cache while Smache gets me to w/in about 10 meters (both close enough generally but Richesse used with a hand held compass gets me right on top of it usually).

Again, I just wanted to say thanks!

Love the program. Only issue is getting the map to display the caches so that I know if it is north,east, south, or west. Right now, the cache could be displayed at the bottom of my location, indicating it should be south, for example, but in reality, it's actually north. So that's where I have my issues, but otherwise it's an awesome program and I'll continue to use it as it does not lag like Beeline does. Beeline was be about 30-40 seconds behind in the current coordinates and I would often have to stay in one place for 30-40 seconds so Beeline can catch up. But Smache is almost instant with my current location. As soon as I move, the numbers move too. Almost right away when I stop, so does the movement on the program. It rocks.

I just have to figure out how to keep my map in a north-south-east-west layout and I'm good to go! :unsure: